Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This time next week, it'll all be over

• 18-12-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Anyone else do this as a pre-pubescent? Think about it: a week from now, all the presents will be opened, the excitement over, the selection box half eaten (with only the caramel bar and the nasty double decker left), and all that you have to look forward to is the dinner and the afternoon big big movie.

I used to do this from about a week out, and step it up a notch on Christmas Eve ("24 hours from now, it'll all be over", "18 hours from now, we'll be finishing the dinner", etc).

There seemed to be no point to it, other than slightly depressing myself for a few minutes. Anyone else do this, or was it just my extraordinary "glass is half empty" childhood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ARG!

I HATE that - my Dad says it, and I want to stab him everytime he does.

I love the whole week between Christmas & NYE. And then a week after that we're off skiing, so it's all highs :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

corblimey wrote: »
    Anyone else do this as a pre-pubescent? Think about it: a week from now, all the presents will be opened, the excitement over, the selection box half eaten (with only the caramel bar and the nasty double decker left), and all that you had to look forward to was the dinner and the afternoon big big movie.

I used to do this from about a week out, and step it up a notch on Christmas Eve ("24 hours from now, it'll all be over", "18 hours from now, we'll be finishing the dinner", etc).

There seemed to be no point to it, other than slightly depressing myself for a few minutes. Anyone else do this, or was it just my extraordinary "glass is half empty" childhood?
    I think the same. Its terrible :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aaaggh, dude stop :eek:

Dunno why I opened this thread, even the title makes me sad....:(

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

why would you even talk like that?!?!?
    never mind the comment about the double decker - that is an amazing treat!

i get to go to munich in the morning, i'm well christmassy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

this time next year it will be all happening again;)

only 372 days to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't say it, in fact I think it's annoying when people saying 'sure in a week it'll all be over anyway'.
    So what... it happens once a year, enjoy it. You've the rest of the year for it 'to be over'.
    I love having lights up and that feeling in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Christmas to me, means holidays and Chrismas day is just the start of it.. Most people are only on holidays a day or two and don't have to work until the following year. it's all good around now, the shortest day is nearly here, we have reached a turning point, longer days, here we come :).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gigglybits

Yup, the big build up as advertised on tv of the snow filled drive, guests arriving with wonderfully wrapped pressies and bottles of booze, all welcomed into the bright tastefully decorated house which boasts a huge log fire to sit around for hours eating with hats on, then play boards games...laughing and joking with smiles Crest would be proud of - when I experience Christmas day like this I'll stop saying 'in xxxx it will all be over' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

corblimey wrote: »
    Anyone else do this as a pre-pubescent? Think about it: a week from now, all the presents will be opened, the excitement over, the selection box half eaten (with only the caramel bar and the nasty double decker left), and all that you have to look forward to is the dinner and the afternoon big big movie.

I used to always do this as a child! And then for the week after Christmas day I'd be like "I wish it was this time yesterday/two days ago/last week so Santa would only be coming!"

Now though I think my favourite part of Christmas is the week between it and New Years. Most of my friends and family are off work, there are loads of "quiet midweek drinks" that turn into mad, great nights out....and no one judges you for drinking 10 days in a row :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Polar Girl

I often think this as I have a glass half empty personality. I try not to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

STFU! I want to enjoy christmas, not think about when it's over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Trashed

at least most of us here have the means to be able to have a decent christmas..... buy presents, have nice food and being able to go out for drinks with our friends.... spare a thought for those less fortunate and cherish the family/friends time, presents, food and drink!!!

this time next week hopefully we will all have a little more appreciation for life!

It is not over until Mothers christmas!
    So celebrate dammit!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That reminds me of that poem from the leaving cert Irish course. Man that was depressing. I'm the same as Mickey, Christmas isn't over til the tree comes down on the 6th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Christmas isn't over til the tree comes down on the 6th!

Eh... you might wanna warn 6th, how big will this tree be??
    /gets coat...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

PMed 6th... At least he'll be ready for it now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tuekey and Ham just finished.

"That's it for another year".

Everybody nods in agreement.

:mad::confused::o:eek:;):rolleyes:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement