Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Left Back [mod warning - POST #79]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I voted Evra, then I remembered its over they year so it has to be Cole. Evra had a bit of a slump in form at the end of last season. This season both him and Cole have been immense so I let my bias separate them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

greendom wrote: »
    Only just, according to the poll.
    That is because the clueless United fans will vote for Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Hurts me to say it but Cashley is the best out there.
    Lol. 3 votes for Kilbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Evra is the better player. In the 2008/09 season Chelsea's defence was very dodgy whereas United's defence was setting records. This was perhaps the difference in United winning the league.

Close to halfway through the 09/10 season and Chelsea again look poor defensively, whereas Evra has been terrific as the only United regular to avoid injury problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ashley Cole

I wish he had never left us, a world class left back.

Why oh why Ashley :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Baines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Ashley Cole

I wish he had never left us, a world class left back.

Why oh why Ashley :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Frisbee wrote: »
    Baines
    Had a cracking 08/09 but has really been off the boil thus far this season. Especially now that his partnership with Pienaar has fallen asunder due to his injury spell and Moyes' preference to play Bilyaletdinov on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

CHD wrote: »
    That is because the clueless United fans will vote for Evra.

Thats a stupid point because everyone who doesn't support United hates United.

Most people will vote for who they honestly think is better, the rest shouldn't waste their own time.

Evra is better, thats why we vote for him.

• Advertisement

Evra is the better player. In the 2008/09 season Chelsea's defence was very dodgy whereas United's defence was setting records. This was perhaps the difference in United winning the league.

Close to halfway through the 09/10 season and Chelsea again look poor defensively, whereas Evra has been terrific as the only United regular to avoid injury problems.
    :pac:

You may aswell say I pick Evra because I support United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

:pac:

You may aswell say I pick Evra because I support United.

Huh? Your contribution to this discussion was:
    CHD wrote:
    A.Cole > Evra

Followed by:
    CHD wrote:
    ...the clueless United fans will vote for Evra

At least I backed up my view.

Huh? Your contribution to this discussion was:

Followed by:

At least I backed up my view.
    Because it is as simple as this...

A.Cole > Evra

Both quality players but Cole is better. All day, everyday.

Your contribution may aswell have been I pick Evra because I support United. Take the red tinted specs off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

A.Cole > Evra

Your contribution may aswell have been I pick Evra because I support United. Take the red tinted specs off.

So cole has been better all day everyday resulting in Chelsea winning an unprecedented 5 in a row ? Not really , infact you will see that Evra has been the best left full bar Clichy for 3 years now resulting in his club dominating english football with him being a huge benefactor.Cole has contributed, what now ?

Evra brings misadventure to the table,Cole brings static moves more often than not,your style of play hasn't changed to adventurous by some distance yet.Don't kid your yourself please, Cole doesn't have the balls to try anything adventurous, he is a systematic fullback who overlaps when the conditions allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d22ontour wrote: »
    he is a systematic fullback who overlaps when the conditions allow it.

When the manager allows it.

under wenger he was a rampaging fullback with chelsea hes a decent defender but lacks the offensive edge Wenger allowed him.

Evra wins it for me simple for this attacking abilities, Cole is at the stage where Foul the RW is an acceptable way of defending and he knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Ashley Cole.

The best full back in the world.

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    So cole has been better all day everyday resulting in Chelsea winning an unprecedented 5 in a row ? Not really , infact you will see that Evra has been the best left full bar Clichy for 3 years now resulting in his club dominating english football with him being a huge benefactor.Cole has contributed, what now ?

Evra brings misadventure to the table,Cole brings static moves more often than not,your style of play hasn't changed to adventurous by some distance yet.Don't kid your yourself please, Cole doesn't have the balls to try anything adventurous, he is a systematic fullback who overlaps when the conditions allow it.
    When you learn something about football comeback and read this again so you can laugh at how silly you are/were.

lol at you! So it is down to Evra that United won titles? O'Shea must be the best right back in the league too then by your logic. Berbatov must be the best striker by your logic. Better players can play in teams that don't win titles.

Do you see your clueless ways now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I voted Warnock but I wish I'd voted Cole to help stop this silly argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

You support Chelsea and you picked Ashley Cole?

But you moan when United fans pick Evra?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well I'm an Arsenal fan and voted for Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Evra. Hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I'm a Sunderland fan and voted for Cole as he's far superior to Evra in everyway, he even has a much better missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

A.Cole > Evra

Your stance is pathetic, using the old United fans are biased card just to get one of your teams players on the team. Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Ashley Cole absolutely no doubt about it, but the team has already been made a mockery of so I won't be votng.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Your stance is pathetic, using the old United fans are biased card just to get one of your teams players on the team. Give it a rest.
    lol yeah it means so much to me :rolleyes: I'm pointing out how your all foolish and Cole is the best LB in the EPL.

<snip> pointless to debate </snip>

fkt wrote: »
    Ashley Cole absolutely no doubt about it, but the team has already been made a mockery of so I won't be votng.
    By your logic are you surprised Kilbane only got 3 votes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Official mod warning : Cop on with the childish jibes and generally stupid behaviour lads. It's all well and good to have conflicting opinions, this is football afterall, but try and debate constructively instead of being reduced to 12 year old squabbling idiotically. Consider yourselves warned, anymore trolling posts will be given an automatic weeks ban. Ho ho ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I think Coles got that little bit extra over Evra, but both of them are more than likely one and two in the world at the mo in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evra has more pace and better link up play. I believe he is also a better defender than Cole. Cole has a great final ball which he definitely has over Evra but imo Evra is the better all round player than Cole.

Liam O wrote: »
    Evra has more pace and better link up play. I believe he is also a better defender than Cole. Cole has a great final ball which he definitely has over Evra but imo Evra is the better all round player than Cole.
    How often do you watch Cole? Cole's link up play is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

How often do you watch Cole? Cole's link up play is amazing.

Evra's is superior. Much better one-touch play and technique, and has a fantastic weighted pass which doesnt get picked up on as much as other aspects of his game. And yup, Ive seen Ashely Cole play quite a bit - Chelski are always on the box these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Cole just ahead of Evra for consistency over the calendar year. When both on form there is nothing between them imo.

Honourable mention for Figueroa too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well this is really annoying.

Its clearly between Cole and Evra as nobody else even comes close to them despite some of the ridiculous names mentioned and stupid votes cast.

But whats most annoying is people saying that one of Evra or Cole is wayyy better than the other or that its in anyway clear cut. They are so evenly matched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    But whats most annoying is people saying that one of Evra or Cole is wayyy better than the other or that its in anyway clear cut. They are so evenly matched.

This.

Who the fook voted for Givet or Insua?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well this is really annoying.

Its clearly between Cole and Evra as nobody else even comes close to them despite some of the ridiculous names mentioned and stupid votes cast.

Totally agree with this.

I personally went for Cole but this time last year it was Evra for me, I just feel that Cole has stepped it up over the last 12 months and just shades it.

I see 6 votes for Stephen Warnock which imo is just mental, but then you have to accept that there will be jokers voting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Archimedes wrote: »
    This.

Bit shocked to see Insua voted for when he's not the best left back at Liverpool even.

Archimedes wrote: »
    This.

Voting for Givet was a lot more sensible than voting for Warnock. At least he played the position most of the year unlike Warnock who spent pretty much all of the second half of last season in the centre of midfield for Blackburn Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

mayordenis wrote: »
    Bit shocked to see Insua voted for when he's not the best left back at Liverpool even.

That there is the problem of democracy anyone can vote no matter how mad there opinions are. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I voted for Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    Voting for Givet was a lot more sensible than voting for Warnock. At least he played the position most of the year unlike Warnock who spent pretty much all of the second half of last season in the centre of midfield for Blackburn Rovers.

You're forgetting the fact that Givet is quite awful at left back due to being a centre half by trade.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You're forgetting the fact that Givet is quite awful at left back due to being a centre half by trade.
    Having seen both him and Steven Warnock play there I can tell you that not only did he play there consistently over the last year but he is a better left back also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If A.Cole played for United its obvious that he would be winning and United fans would think he was better. :)

It is very close though. :) The best two in the world no doubt.

I voted for Cole based purely on his consistency. I thought Evra ended last season very poorly, almost lazily. Going forward, he is more wasteful than Cole in relation to crossing and passing. Cole is faster, better defender, an all round better player IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Evra FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Johner wrote: »
    If A.Cole played for United its obvious that he would be winning and United fans would think he was better. :)

Em, Given one the last poll, despite VDS breaking the keeping record last year. So I think that post is just bull****.

Evra and Cole are the best left backs in the world. IMO, Cole at his peak is better than Evra. But Cole doesnt play in an attacking team that utilises him as much as he could be. Thus EVra is better, but I do think that if Cole was in the United team, he'd be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

More than 2 out of every 5 voters, so far, think Evra is the best left back in EPL. While I don't want to see petty squabbling or childish posts, I still would really love to know how many of Evra's voters are ManU fans. They are quite entitled to make that vote, just interested, thats all! Would love to know the same about Cole's votes (how many are from Chelsea fans). I don't follow anyone in England so i don't have an agenda, purely being nosey not mischievous.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    Em, Given one the last poll, despite VDS breaking the keeping record last year. So I think that post is just bull****.
    Yes, but Given is Irish!

Still though, doesn't upset me too greatly to see Cashley losing a popularity contest. Shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Oh come on seriously Given is Irish and how is it bull, there is a lot more United fans here so obviously Evra was going to get the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

VDS played well because of who was in front of him.
    Given plays well despite who's in front of him.

Right now Given is undoubtedly a superior keeper to VDS. Cole V Evra is always going to be a much closer contest and I think its pretty obvious the United vote swings it in Evra's favour.

Eh lads this is the fullback thread.:pac:

I see the most of the United fans have voted, the Chelsea fans will be in tomorrow to make this very close imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

eagle eye wrote: »
    Eh lads this is the fullback thread.:pac:

I see the most of the United fans have voted, the Chelsea fans will be in tomorrow to make this very close imo

Lol, yeah, all 8 of us :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement