Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashfield computer training

Options
  • 18-12-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Does anyone know if ashfield computer training has closed down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I know the main ashfield school was put in liquidation recently (last year or so?) but was then taken over. It may have had an affect on the other courses it ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If I recall correctly, they are two completely separate companies, despite being run by a husband and wife.

There was a thread here a while back and to the best of my knowledge, Ashfield Computer Training is still in operation.

Why not try the old fashioned method and give them a ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Hey, i think they have went bust. I have been trying to contact them for the last 4 weeks to get my money back on a course i paid a deposit on after it was delayed for the 3rd time. They agreed to refund me via cheque after a week with no check I tried to contact them and have been for the last 4 weeks no-one is answering my emails / phone calls not even the Managing Director Who gave me his assurances via email (which I still have) that they were a sperate entity from the Ashfield that went bust a few months back and that they are going strong. (which prompted me to put a deposit on a course?!)

I called around to their offices about 3 weeks ago they have a sign up saying "Ashfield computer training regrets to advise that due to circumstances beyond our control we have been forced to close temporarily we will update our position as soon as possible"!?

Any one else in my Situation, they have got 380 euro off me!?
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Brady wrote: »
    not even the Managing Director Who gave me his assurances via email (which I still have) that they were a sperate entity from the Ashfield that went bust a few months back and that they are going strong.

Are you sure about that? I thought the MD was a woman? (let's not mention names here).

Positive.. just doubled checked the email i recieved from him in July, its clearly marked in his signature. Along with his mobile number (which appears to be disconnected now having tried ringing it a few times).

I have no way of contacting Anyone at Ashfield theve pulled down the index page of the website: http://www.ashfieldcomputertraining.ie/.. They have just vanished overnight after taking peoples money..:mad:

!? Grrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 robtee

Hi Brady - similar situation, was over charged for an exam by €100 and have numerous emails promising a refund via cheque and eventually spoke to the MD who assured me my money was on the way - this is going back to October 1st...

There must be something we can do? ive been looking on the CRO website I cant see any information about them being dissolved or going into liquidation? So where's the money gone?
    robtee wrote: »
    Hi Brady - similar situation, was over charged for an exam by €100 and have numerous emails promising a refund via cheque and eventually spoke to the MD who assured me my money was on the way - this is going back to October 1st...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

This might help,

I expressed an interest in one of their courses a few months ago and have been getting emails from them, they have moved from Tempelogue to Grange road,

The last email I got from them was on the 11th of November, the contact details were:

Ashfield Computer Training
    Unit 11 Grange Road Retail Park,
    Rathfarnham,
    Dublin 16
    Tel: 01-4957008 Fax:4957507
    Television Advert:http://ads.ipctv.ie/ashfield/

Sorry if not allowed put those details up here.

CrazySka wrote: »
    This might help,....

Thanks for the post CrazySka... but the phone number doesnt work its the one ive been trying for the last few weeks, it goes stright to answer machine then wont allow you to leave a message prob because the mailbox is full!..... The website is down. they moved to the new place months ago i called around to the new place and seen dust covers over the machines (which can been seen from the main road) they have a have a sign up too on the front door....

4205199793_24a85e5f04_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Sh!t, sorry to hear that man,

They seem to have been trying to get people onto courses quite late, maybe a last ditch attempt to save the company! I was keen on recertifying CCNA with them, glad I didnt now.

Its a shame in a way as I attended some of their courses and found Eamonn to be one of the most knowledgable instructors I ever had, dont know if he was involved towards the end though.

• Advertisement

...Last person i was speaking with had the same first name, so who knows!

CrazySka wrote: »
    Sh!t, sorry to hear that man,

They seem to have been trying to get people onto courses quite late, maybe a last ditch attempt to save the company! I was keen on recertifying CCNA with them, glad I didnt now.

Its a shame in a way as I attended some of their courses and found Eamonn to be one of the most knowledgable instructors I ever had, dont know if he was involved towards the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

That answers that! ... thanks Ifah. Bollix..:( They havnt been appointed a liquidator yet, that was a creditors meeting.. wonder how ill get my money back.
    ifah wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Brady i just sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Hi all,

I was planning on doing the 2nd of 2 exams with them within 2 weeks (it's 3 months since I did the first one) and now see they've gone into liquidation?!

I've paid for both exams, what do you suggest I do?

Rgds,
    Brian.

From what i can gather the education center in templeouge is holding up some of the courses, although i have not seen any confirmation of that on the website?!

Hi all,

I was planning on doing the 2nd of 2 exams with them within 2 weeks (it's 3 months since I did the first one) and now see they've gone into liquidation?!

I've paid for both exams, what do you suggest I do?

Rgds,
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

This is from the Irish Independent of 5 January 2010:

By Shane Phelan, Investigative Correspondent

Tuesday January 05 2010

THE business at the centre of the FAS marking scandal, when assessment results were changed so students could pass exams, has gone bust.

A liquidator has been appointed to Ashfield Computer Training Ltd, according to documents made available yesterday by the Companies Registration Office.

The development comes less than three months after FAS said it was seeking to recoup up to €190,000 in fees it paid to the company to run the courses where irregularities were found.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen urged the state training agency to get the money back after the scandal was exposed in the Irish Independent last October.

However, the liquidation now raises serious doubts over whether any of the fees can be clawed back.

A meeting of creditors has already taken place, at which chartered accountant David Colleran was appointed as liquidator. Mr Colleran did not return calls seeking comment yesterday.

In a statement, FAS said it did not have a representative at the creditors meeting, but was continuing to take legal advice on the issue.

"FAS is continuing to research with its lawyers the options for recouping fees paid for these courses and/or the possibility for suing for damages," the statement said.

FAS stopped using Ashfield as a training provider early last year after an internal audit exposed irregularities in the marking and assessment of four courses run in the northeast in 2006 and 2007. Dublin-based Ashfield later said the courses had been run by a now defunct sister company and that the irregularities were down to the activities of a "rogue trainer". Owner Eamon Noonan also said the company had changed hands twice since the irregularities occurred.

According to the Department of Enterprise, Ashfield trained 1,049 people on FAS courses in the northeast between 2002 and 2007 and was paid more than €2m in fees.

The FAS audit found that a tutor had falsified results so pass grades could be given to students who had failed. It also found evidence that assessment materials had been manipulated on other courses.

Suspended

When the irregularities came to light, City & Guilds temporarily suspended accreditation for two courses until students were retrained and reassessed.

Ashfield admitted to the irregularities in April 2007, yet was still able to successfully tender for further FAS courses.

One of the courses proceeded after FAS was in possession of the damning audit report.

In a statement, the agency said the final course run by Ashfield for FAS finished in April of last year and there had been no further contracts since then.

After the controversy became public, Tanaiste Mary Coughlan ordered that FAS conduct a review of all 257 training programmes run by outside firms.

That review is ongoing and problems have been identified with two courses run by another company, a major training provider paid more than €1.5m in fees by FAS in recent years.

- Shane Phelan, Investigative Correspondent

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/company-in-fas-exams-scandal-goes-bust-1999059.html

Dogre wrote: »

Nice find! I had emailed the liquidator dude before Christmas thanks to de_shadow for giving me the info, But in light of this... I might as well emailed FAS asked for my money back!

This is a disgrace, there is still no official correspondence about the Education Centre holding up some of the courses out of good will... has anyone else had any correspondence?:mad:

Hey Guys,

Some info:

I have just received an email from a representative of the company responsible for handling the liquidation needless to say if anyone was wondering about retrieving their money back. Without going into too much detail, lets just say its highly unlikely any of us will see as much as a euro! Reading though the documentation there is a substantial list of other people / companies owed dosh, I cant imagine where my measly 380 euro comes in the list in comparison to the other folks :mad:

Just thought id give yous a headsup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shoona

hi everyone im in the same boat here, i paid 380 euros for a course and it stopped suddenly and didn't set the exam, did anyone get a replay from them or have an email address to contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 aonindy

If you call the number listed on Eircom phone book for
    Ashfield, a very nice lady answers with "The Education Centre". If you
    ask if this is Ashfield Training, the nice lady answers "yes it is..." (of course
    we know better...), so, rising from the ashes it would seem...

If you probe, as I did, she will tell you its different directors, but same staff and "all new management".

Reassuring to know.

Phone is: (01)4904050

from here: http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/Ashfield_Computer_Training_Ltd/Dublin/IE_13410C12460606060606A6060666C726A6A_1

Advertisement