Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old american akita pup

Options
  • 18-12-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

hi

Im just curious wit this very cold snap of weather we are expected t get -7degree's, im curious would my american akita pup who is 8 months old, would he feel that cold in his house in his pen. We have placed 3 layers of cement blocks on the back of the pen and on the right side also to try block some of the winds as we out in the open and the front and left side there is just one layer of blocks as the garage blocking winds that side..

Would he be okay in that cold or should i bring him into the house?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is he outside during the day or just at night? if its during the day then i would think he would be fine.

If hes outside at night has he been outside all along or would you be wanting to have him outside from now? if so then he wouldnt be acclimatised to the harsh conditions so i would be reluctant to put him outside at night at the moment.

Has he a kennel to go inside with plenty of bedding? once he has this, during the day is fine, but the nights would be a lot colder .

Akitas have great thick coats as you know so would be able to withstand cold enough weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I say bring him in - but that's purely on emotion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

andreac wrote: »
    Is he outside during the day or just at night? if its during the day then i would think he would be fine.

If hes outside at night has he been outside all along or would you be wanting to have him outside from now? if so then he wouldnt be acclimatised to the harsh conditions so i would be reluctant to put him outside at night at the moment.

Has he a kennel to go inside with plenty of bedding? once he has this, during the day is fine, but the nights would be a lot colder .

Akitas have great thick coats as you know so would be able to withstand cold enough weather.

andreac,
    Since the day we got him at 9 weeks old he has been sleeping in his house in the pen outside at night, during the day he comes in and out of the house whenever he wants to and at nights he lies in front of the fire with us until its his bedtime and he goes out to his house in the pen.. We have cardboard and a good thick blanket in his pen..

Lately though he has been puling out his blanket out of the pen and either eating it or lying on it looking around !!!!!!

Paul91 wrote: »
    I say bring him in - but that's purely on emotion :D

thanks paul, thats why im asking would he be very cold out in that cold weather we promised as im very emotional about him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If his pen/house is wind and waterproof and has bedding for him to be comfy then he should be fine if he's used to being outside. If you feel it's VERY cold out and think he wouldn't be warm, keeping him in the odd night probably wouldn't be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I'd say bring him inside too. Maybe confine him to the kitchen/ultility room if you are worried he might become destructive or have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

would bring him, in thick coat or not its going to be very nasty out there:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

I say bring him in, its freezing out there!!! As long as he doesnt do too much damage I would def have him inside.

Thanks a million for all the replys, he is as quiet as a mouse in the house and he dosent eat the furniture or jump around the house thank god!! and can be trusted in the sitting room by himself but just incase i might leave him in the utility just til the very very cold weather goes, but he is toilet trained and doesent even go in his pen, he holds it all night til 7am in the morning when he is let out and then goes into the grass, thats what we thaught him, he dosent go on the tarmac, just grass..

Im glad im not the only one who is emotional over a doggy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm not having a go at you in the slightest, I'm just curious, if he's that good in the house, and spends all day in and out, why does he sleep outside?

I run a boarding kennel, and we've got one guest in at the moment that the owner said really feels the cold. Now he has a lovely warm bed in the kennel, and a heat lamp, but he's sleeping in my sons room for the next couple of nights:D

With the rescue I also have an 8 month old pup in, now he'd probably be fine in his kennel, as I say, vet bedding, heat lamp etc, but he's in the house with my pack now as well, ah sure he's only a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

ISDW- I wish you lived near me!
    The kennels I go too are great and heated but I still feel guilty leaving them in, they sleep in crates in the hall at home.
    I know the lady there loves all the dogs and takes good care of them but I know they'd loved your kind of treatment:D

op, if your at all worried do what you feel right. You know him best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭granturismo

Our dogs slept out in kennels for their first year. They are collie/lab x so their coats are suited to our witner. We brought them in for their second winter because we felt sorry for them and they now sleep indoors every night so you might end up in the same situation - if your happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Mialin

Bring him in, bring him in!

Although if you are doing this it will have to stay that way in my opinion!

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm not having a go at you in the slightest, I'm just curious, if he's that good in the house, and spends all day in and out, why does he sleep outside?

I run a boarding kennel, and we've got one guest in at the moment that the owner said really feels the cold. Now he has a lovely warm bed in the kennel, and a heat lamp, but he's sleeping in my sons room for the next couple of nights:D

With the rescue I also have an 8 month old pup in, now he'd probably be fine in his kennel, as I say, vet bedding, heat lamp etc, but he's in the house with my pack now as well, ah sure he's only a baby.

ISDW,
    its just from day 1 as a puppy we built a great pen with a fine big house in the pen for him and we decided he would be fine in that.. he is a huge dog now at 8 and half months and also he is a great guard dog to, he never barks unless something is around and then he goes mad barking, as for instance we live in the country and to have people out walkking at midnight is a bit much!! and he barked and barked and we always listen to him and when we went out, we spotted why he barking.

I just wanted to know with the very bitter cold weather we promised should we bring him in out of it til it passes.. but he gos back out into it again, i though about a heat lamp to but i think he would eat it ha!! as he is chewing a bit on his solid timber house!! even though we have loads of toys for him in his pen.. he takes them all out himself everymorning and his blanket and plays with them!!
    He is my baby and i was concerned would he be very cold!!! and fair play to you for bringing them inside, thats so cute!!

Mialin wrote: »
    Bring him in, bring him in!

Although if you are doing this it will have to stay that way in my opinion!

Malin,
    Its just this cold snowy weather im concerned about, we have a purpose build pen that alot of sweat and tears went into building and a fab big house in it for him so he wont be permanetely in the house at night!!

Advertisement