Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler query

• 18-12-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a cosyman boiler in the back garden, seems to be working fine - heating water and rads no bother, but I notice that the top plate of the casing is starting to show signs of rust, just where the exhaust would flow over it. Is this something to worry about?

Also, the exhaust is very warm, and seems a waste. Does anyone know if this is normal for an ordinary boiler? I don't think it's a condensing boiler - no manual left with it when we got the house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This happens on a few models of out boiler and happens to them all eventually. Just get a heat resistant paint and coat it. I would say contact gerkross but that would be difficult :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Prenderb wrote: »

Also, the exhaust is very warm, and seems a waste. Does anyone know if this is normal for an ordinary boiler? I don't think it's a condensing boiler - no manual left with it when we got the house.

Yes it is a waste, thats why newer boilers are used now. Condenser boilers use the heat from the exhaust to hear a series of plates that heat the water so that there is less waste of energy, ie the combustion is heating the water and the heat from the exhaust is heating the water.

Cuts fuel consumption by 20% (roughly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

This happens on a few models of out boiler and happens to them all eventually. Just get a heat resistant paint and coat it. I would say contact gerkross but that would be difficult :(

Yeah, that's what the guy in gerkros recommended, got him on the phone after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

snyper wrote: »
    Yes it is a waste, thats why newer boilers are used now. Condenser boilers use the heat from the exhaust to hear a series of plates that heat the water so that there is less waste of energy, ie the combustion is heating the water and the heat from the exhaust is heating the water.

Cuts fuel consumption by 20% (roughly)

If a condensing boiler is installed as a direct replacement for a modern (10 year old) boiler that has been regularly serviced, it will not cut fuel consumption by 20%.
    For a condensing to work at full efficiency, the differential between the flow and return should be at least 20 degrees, and the return should be 55 degrees or less. This may not be the case, unless the system is designed for it - so you cannot just stick in a condensing boiler as a replacement, without other modifications.
    With a condensing boiler, the main heat exchanger heats the water that then flows out from the boiler, the extra exchanger in the exhaust heats the water returning to the boiler.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ottop

Hi there,

I am very interested in what you have to say about the condenser bolier /old well serviced boiler. We have a 12 yr old indoor Grant which is serviced yearly- because it has a balanced flue which has ruined the wall outside we were considering changing to a condensed bolier and different flue type. Is there another option ? Perhaps we could just change the flue- or would that alter its efficiency?

• Advertisement
Advertisement