Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to read the weather charts?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of new posters on here such as me who don't know anything about reading the weather charts. I look at the a lot of the time and just don't know what all the symbols and that mean. Is there any chance of someone showing us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

There are so many charts posted here, from so many different sources that it would probably be best to ask about the exact ones you want explained, I understand that's probably not the answer you want but if you go here to wetterzentrale's GFS page you'll see there are 24 different charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

nilhg wrote: »
    There are so many charts posted here, from so many different sources that it would probably be best to ask about the exact ones you want explained, I understand that's probably not the answer you want but if you go here to wetterzentrale's GFS page you'll see there are 24 different charts.

Yeah, there's a lot of things to learn about reading charts. And there are so many different charts and variations of the same type of chart too. There is no simple guide or explanation. I found a great way to learn was through experience by following weather forums like this and others.

I think it's a good idea to have a thread dedicated to questions regarding chart reading. I'm only getting to grips with it myself lately, and would gladly share any knowledge I have acquired. I wouldn't mind having somewhere to poise some questions to the experts too!

But for this idea to work I think there'd have to be some kind of basic guide available in the first place or the thread might get littered with lazy questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The charts we're most interested in here in Europe are the

-ECMWF (European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting)
    Two runs per day at 00Z and 12Z. Freely available charts for 72hrs out to 240hrs.

-UKMO (UK Met Office) - Two runs per day at 00Z and 12Z. Freely available charts from 6hrs to 144hrs.

-NAE (North Atlantic European Model) - A high resolution model version of the UKMO global model above. 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, 18Z runs in 3hr steps out to 48hrs.

-GFS (Global Forecasting System) - 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, 18Z). Freely available charts from 6hrs to 384hrs

-HIRLAM (High-Resolution limited Area Model) - The Met Éireann model runs every hour, giving precipitation accumulation and wind data for 3hrs in advance.

There are other models available, such as the Canadian GME, US Airforce, NOGAPS, Japanese JMA, NCEP, etc. These are available on a variety of websites, such as Weatheronline.co.uk (Expert Maps), Wetterzentrale, Netweather, Wetter3.de, etc.

The first thing to do is decide what time period you want the forecast for. The UKMO, ECMWF, GFS are good for long range forecasting, but just remember that, due to the butterfly effect, the charts they give can be wildely inaccurate at longer time periods (>5 days, depending on the atmopsheric setup).

The first chart to look at would be the H500 (or 500mBar) chart. This usually gives the height of the 500mBar pressure level, in decametres, dm, (eg. 542 = 5420m).

Isobars are only used on a surface chart, which shows the places which have the same sea level pressure. For upper air charts it is better to use heights, which show at what height the particular pressure is at. As pressure decreases with altitude (by around 1mBar for every 9m in the lower atmosphere), a weather balloon will be at a certain height when it gets up to where it's 500mBar (on average, about 5520m or 18100ft). This is the 500mBar height. Lines joining points of equal height are called isohypses and are drawn on the 500mBar chart.

What dictates the height of a pressure level is the average density of the airmass in which it is. Density is related to two things - temperature and moisture content. As the average temperature of the airmass increases, or more moisture is added to it, it's density will decrease, it will expand, and therefore the 500mBar level will rise. So warm tropical airmasses have relatively high heights (~576dm). Conversely, in the poles, where it's bloody freezing and dry, heights are very low (500dm or below).

A H500 chart will show a series of waves (Rossby waves), which show where the warm and cold airmasses are located. Where the waves point south, you have a trough, where they point north, it's a ridge. In general the jetstream follows these waves where the lines are packed closest together. Depending on where the maximum windspeeds are located, you can get divergence or convergence (spreading apart or bunching up of the air flow). When you get divergence aloft, it causes air to rise from below, which is what causes surface lows to deepen. With convergence aloft, the air subsides downwards from above, leading to High pressure. Rising air causes clouds, subsiding air causes air to dry and heat up, hence clouds are relatively uncommon in High pressure systems.

The H500 may also give other information such as temperature, vorticity, and 500-1000 thickness. This thickness is the thickness of the layer of atmosphere between the 500 and 1000mBar levels and is another good indicator of the type of airmass. The denser the air (colder and/or drier) the lower this thickness, and vice versa. This is one of the things to look for when forecasting snow - anything below about 522dm thicknesses can produce snow.

The other important charts are the H850 (temperature, wind), H700 (temperature, wind, relative humidity), H300, H200 (temperature, wind (ie. jetstream, convergence, divergence), and of course the surface (synoptic) chart.

Forecasters will look at lots of different data, from soundings (weather balloon data), surface and upper analyses, satellite, aircraft data, etc to get a picture of what has and is now happening in the atmosphere. From that they will figure out where the the different airmasses are, which direction they are moving in, whether there is upper divergence, which could lead to surface lows deepening, etc. With that picture in their mind they will estimate future development, movement, etc, using the forecast charts as a guide. They don't rely on them 100%, they only use them to refine their forecasts. As the different models have different strengths, weaknesses when it comes to forecasting different events, the forecaster will have an idea which model to trust more than another. If the models are in good agreement then the forecaster can be that bit more confident in his forecast. There may be local peculiarities of a region's climate, however, that could cause a different ourcome to what the charts suggest. The models won't know this but a forecaster will from experience, and will adjust his forecast accordingly. This is why you should always treat automated weather forecast sites with a pinch of salt.

Below are some charts for today, as an example. I have drawn on them areas of interest to us here and features that may hint at what to expect.

H500-H1000 thickness analysis Saturday 00Z
    99420.jpg

H500 Heights analysis Saturday 00Z
    99421.jpg

H850 analysis Saturday 00Z
    99422.jpg

Surface synoptic chart Saturday 00Z
    99425.gif

Surface 24hr Forecast chart Sunday 00Z
    99426.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wow! Great analysis Su Compo

Can I suggest that this thread be stickied? Would help a lot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

excellent post. it almost took my mind off another depressing day for liverpool fc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

excellent post and very helpful to newbies like me.thank you su. another vote to stickie from me

excellent post. it almost took my mind off another depressing day for liverpool fc
    and ditto on the Liverpool game :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Thanks guys, I did it so that I wouldn't have to watch the match! :mad: Another defeat, this time from the bottom team....yeah right Rafa, "top four" me cojones! What a joke, what say we all give up this Liverpool lark and go out full time on the hunt for snow, even though the chances of success are slim at least it's more enjoyable! :mad:

Su Campu wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I did it so that I wouldn't have to watch the match! :mad: Another defeat, this time from the bottom team....yeah right Rafa, "top four" me cojones! What a joke, what say we all give up this Liverpool lark and go out full time on the hunt for snow, even though the chances of success are slim at least it's more enjoyable! :mad:
    definetely more chance of success

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

paddybar wrote: »
    excellent post and very helpful to newbies like me.thank you su. another vote to stickie from me

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

paddybar wrote: »
    definetely more chance of success

indeed. i bet Benitez feels foolish now making that top 4 guarantee. I hope he does the honourable thing and resigns.

and while I,m at it thanks to deep easterly ,maq,supercell,red briar,weathercheck,wolfeire and the rest of the knowledgable contributers who make this an interesting and informative place to lurk
    "makes kissyass noises"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just gave that globalte troll a week off.

Now, back to the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Su Campu wrote: »
    The charts we're most interested in...

I love it when people go out of their way to help complete strangers. Fair play :)

Advertisement