Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi

• 18-12-2009 5:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

I am looking at the blackberry Curve 8900 - I see it has wi-fi facility.

I travel a lot on business and spend a deal of time in Airports.

Does this facility mean that i can access e-mail etc in say Amsderdam if I am in a wi-fi hotspot ?

Currently bringing laptop / netbook on trips but airport security is an increasing pain.

Any views on the above + any comments on tha Blackberry Curve would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can indeed use the wifi to get emails or browse the net, but you wont be able to use the specific blackberry functions, like the messenger.

Which model you thinking on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Davy wrote: »
    You can indeed use the wifi to get emails or browse the net, but you wont be able to use the specific blackberry functions, like the messenger.

Which model you thinking on?

Thanks Dave - I was looking at the Curve 8900 - I want to avoid having to bring laptops - particularly on short trips - but at the same time have basic cost effective e-mail access at Airports etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome...ta

Anybody else care to advise me....thanks !

The highly loved E71 or now replaced by the brand new E72

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

The blackberry bold sounds like the phone for you!

Similar to the curve but faster processor, better screen and also has 3g.

Out now on vodafone, I assume it will also come to O2 also.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks for all your inputs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

i hope you dont mind me posting here but it saves starting another thread and qs is related.

is it cheaper using wifi to connect to the internet and is the speed better than 3g?

is encryption necessary when using wifi on a mobile ph.

thanks

ceoexec2 wrote: »

is it cheaper using wifi to connect to the internet and is the speed better than 3g?

Their is no right or wrong answer to that question. It depends where the wifi is. If its in an airport or hotel, they can charge crazy prices, but commonly wifi is free to use. It you have broadband at home with a wireless router then you can use it. Its not free as such, as you are already paying it for it, but using it on the phone wont run up any additional costs.

thanks for reply. do you know if the signal can be intercepted like with a laptop. can your ph be accessed by a third party while using it

ceoexec2 wrote: »
    thanks for reply. do you know if the signal can be intercepted like with a laptop. can your ph be accessed by a third party while using it

Dont know of any problems. Their is always ways and means s with anything. Your phone can be 'hacked' with bluetooh, be turning the bluetooth function off solves the problem. Same with would be with a wifi connection.

Also forgot to say, that the wifi would be quicker in most cases than a networks data connection.

• Advertisement

thnaks again. im not techie so youve been a good help

Advertisement