Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool Match Thread 12:45

• 18-12-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Early morning kick-off so here's a thread
    On SkySports 1

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra--Agger--Insua--
    Masch----Lucas
    ---Kuyt----Gerrard----Benayoun---
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Darby, Skrtel, Aurelio, Aquilani, Babel, N'gog

Johnson and Babel back so Johnson back in the team and Babel on the bench.
    Riera, Kelly and El Zhar still on the injured list.
    Cant see Aquilani or Babel starting and would be shocked if Johnson and Torres don't.
    Fingers crossed we build on the Wigan result and pick up a much-needed three points.

Portsmouth apparently played well enough against Chelsea away.
    Looked decent going forward but dodge at the back so I would expect there to be goals in this one.

Duo back to boost Reds
    18th Dec 2009 - Latest News

Liverpool have been boosted by the return of both Glen Johnson and Ryan Babel to the squad for this weekend's trip to Portsmouth.

Babel has been sidelined with an ankle injury sustained against Manchester City last month while Johnson missed the midweek victory over Wigan with a minor knock.

Both players have passed fitness tests in time to take their place in the squad for the Saturday lunchtime kick-off at Fratton Park.

Albert Riera, Martin Kelly and Nabil El Zhar will remain on Merseyside, however, to continue their rehabilitation from recent injury problems.
    Portsmouth v Liverpool
    Saturday, 19 December 2009
    Premier League
    Venue: Fratton Park Date: Saturday, 19 December 2009 Kick-off: 1245 GMT

TEAM NEWS
    Portsmouth defender Younes Kaboul is available after serving a one-game ban for his sending off at Sunderland.

Goalkeeper David James has recovered from illness, while midfielder Michael Brown (groin) is close to a comeback.

Fernando Torres is set to return for Liverpool after starting on the bench against Wigan, with boss Rafael Benitez set to revert to a 4-2-3-1 system.

Glen Johnson returns from a hamstring problem, while Ryan Babel is fit again after an ankle injury.

Portsmouth

Suspended: None Doubtful: Brown (groin)

Injured: Ward (groin)

Liverpool

Suspended: None Doubtful: None

Injured: El Zhar (ankle), Riera (hamstring)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/duo-back-to-boost-reds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

0 - 1 Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Don't expect this to be at all easy, despite the fact Portsmouth are bottom. I'll predict 2-1 to Liverpool but it wouldn't shock me to see us drop points here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dropped points is not an option here. Back to back wins have to start happening, especially now that close to a fully fit squad is available.

The media can focus on Rafa's promise all they want, as far as I am concerned the players are the ones who are now running out of excuses for their dire performances so far this season.

All season there has been excuses made for them. Injuries, freak incidents, bad luck etc. They have got to start standing up and playing regardless of what is being said in the media now.

Some people say that Rafa has lost the dressing room. I don't know if this is true or not, but if there is some truth in it, and the players are giving less than 100% on the pitch because of something against the manager, then I don't want any player like that at the club.

I am sick of the excuses, and sick of sub par performances from players. Only a win will do tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the weather like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Portsmouth are better than their results suggest, they create lots of chances. Dindane could have a hat trick in most games but couldn't hit a barn door. The way pools season is going this will probably change tomorrow :D.

Portsmouth to win 3-2. Expect goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the Portsmouth website at 11:15 this morning.
    Sounds like they were well prepared and I don't think things are going to change that drastically overnight.
    Pitch Perfect For Liverpool Clash
    Snow may disrupt many people’s weekends, but Pompey and Liverpool fans can rest assured.

The groundsmen at Fratton Park, led by Bob Jones, were well prepared for the freezing temperatures – and snowy conditions.

Frost covers were laid over the turf on Wednesday afternoon, once the pitch had been marked, and then the water-proof covers that make up the inflatable dome were added in the evening.

The snow was swept from the upper covers this morning and, with temperatures of over minus 4°C being predicted overnight tonight, heaters are due to be turned on and the dome inflated later today to protect the pitch ahead of the big match against Liverpool on Saturday.

Lucius Peart, head of operations, said: “The pitch is in perfect condition for our match on Saturday.

“We took all the necessary precautions earlier this week and we will now be keeping the pitch warm and ready for the game.

“There is no risk of the game not going ahead at this stage.”

Kick-off for Saturday’s match is 12.45pm.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pitch-Perfect-For-Liverpool-Clash-396.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

2-1 Pompey.

Grr. I'll have to mute my tv due to that fcuker with that bell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Liverpool LIVERPOOOL!

0-7

Torres with 4 and then another 3, Torres with 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mayordenis wrote: »
    Liverpool LIVERPOOOL!

0-7

Torres with 4 and then another 3, Torres with 7.

I'd settle for 5 :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Torres won't :pac:

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

You'd be doing well to get 1. ;)

Who do you think you are commenting on premiership football, eh? :P

mayordenis wrote: »
    Who do you think you are commenting on premiership football, eh? :P

That's it pal. The gloves are off. ;)

I've seen Pompey a few times this season and their chance creation is extremely good and a few people have Pompey written off already.

Form suggests that Pompey should lose but I reckon Avram Grant can get the team working for him. What better way than to do it against Liverpool.

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's it pal. The gloves are off. ;)

I've seen Pompey a few times this season and their chance creation is extremely good and a few people have Pompey written off already.

Form suggests that Pompey should lose but I reckon Avram Grant can get the team working for him. What better way than to do it against Liverpool.

I actually like Pompey alot and honestly watching the games they've lost it's hard to think bar finishing how much they can really improve, they are a very decent side and if they get a run of winnable fixtures together I think they still have a very reasonable chance of staying up.

However liverpool must win and as such torres to score 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fiver on 1-3, Torres hatrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »

Will he start?

I'm fairly sure he's going to start, not 100% but it looks like he will.

Headshot wrote: »
    Will he start?

God Knows with Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I have a feeling Portsmouth will get a hiding
    A large win for Liverpool

4 or 5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

All portsmouths games have been very close with a striker better then dindane they wouldn't be in this situation he's almost as bad as jason scotland i'm going for 2-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

All portsmouths games have been very close

They all haven't been that close. Three results spring to mind,
    Arsenal and ManU beat them 4-1 and Blackburn beat them 3-1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The Pool will scrape a win in another ****e performance. 2-1. Gerrard and Torres to score.

ill go for 2 or more goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Aquilani might have an injury:eek::eek:
    Benítez confirmed that Fernando Torres, who scored the winner against Wigan, is ready to start at Fratton Park, although he added that the striker would need to be "managed" through the next few weeks. Alberto Aquilani, however, is unlikely to feature against Portsmouth because of a calf injury which will doubtless increase the frustrations surrounding Liverpool's costliest summer signing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/18/rafael-benitez-premier-league-fixtures

How, did he fall off the bench?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats the weather like?
    Well when seeing the place on Soccer AM it looks like you'd be pissing icicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Well when seeing the place on Soccer AM it looks like you'd be pissing icicles.

was it live or pre recorded though?saw it meself ,jamie o hara i think it was was shivering like mad with the cold when he was being interviewed,if thats today it must be fecking freezing.

anplaya wrote: »
    was it live or pre recorded though?saw it meself ,jamie o hara i think it was was shivering like mad with the cold when he was being interviewed,if thats today it must be fecking freezing.

It's live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Advertisement

Reina,
    Johnson-Carra-Agger-Insua,
    Masch-Lucas,
    Kuyt---Gerrard---Dossena
    Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

anplaya wrote: »
    Looked live to me.

ah good

torres is starting

Looked live to me.

ah,wasnt sure.lack remarked to me whats that poor fella standing around in the cold for being interviewed,why not interview him inside.i suppose she does have a point :D looks like he was dressed for training.

Headshot wrote: »
    ah good

torres is starting

few bets on?bro in law has backed torres to score the first and second,double the odds at 7/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dossena and Kuyt on the wings - zZzZzZzZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wheres Aquilani?

Tusky wrote: »
    Dossena and Kuyt on the wings - zZzZzZzZ

Attacking line up imo, we started 6 defenders at pompey last season, only 5 today :):rolleyes:

Wheres Aquilani?

injured i think,calf injury?

In a crate marked FRAGILE this end up /\

Wheres Aquilani?

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wheres Aquilani?

Here;
    200019453-003.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5A456420CE71F7EAC45752DE6A492D1A9AD7517828326992677997512DFCEB0B4

Like this;
    74590892.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=51100C4ED77196F3A4298C08F9E43FE54C50828C99418528BB037FBB0AB67504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

daithijjj wrote: »
    Attacking line up imo, we started 6 defenders at pompey last season, only 5 today :):rolleyes:

I think at this stage you'd actually agree with me in saying Dossena is anything but a defender.

Begovic, Finnan, Kaboul, Ben-Haim, Hreidarsson, Yebda, Brown, O'Hara, Belhadj, Boateng, Piquionne. Subs: Ashdown, Mullins, Utaka, Hughes, Dindane, Kanu, Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

How, did he fall off the bench?

He hurt it in the canteen at Melwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Or training maybe... Your jokes are quite shocking lads. You should work for Soccer AM.

Am the only one who has a bad feeling about this today ?

Pompey have won 2 of their last 3 at home and we have a team containing Dossena, Insua and Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's Portsmouth. If Liverpool don't beat these I'd be beyond shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the continued lack of Aquilani still bothers me.

a lot.

I think at this stage you'd actually agree with me in saying Dossena is anything but a defender.

Personally speaking i think a deaf, dumb and blind steve finnan could handle him no bother today.

Congrats to carra on the 600th.

PHB wrote: »
    It's Portsmouth. If Liverpool don't beat these I'd be beyond shocked.

You're right.

But equally the way you say "It's Portsmouth" , we haven't exactly been Liverpool this season if you know what I mean.

That said any team with Torres in it should really destroy Pompey

• Advertisement
Advertisement