Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool Match Thread 12:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

teams know how to play against liverpool.

and we've no plan B.

it's getting shown up in ridiculous fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

spearing?!? Fuking SPEARING!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

NoelRock wrote: »
    What CAN Rafa say in the post-match? 'I've run out of ideas'? Because he has.

He can apologies to West Ham.

With the money Rafa has paid to assemble his side, to be beaten by a motley crew of loanees, freebies, and nominal feers is a joke.

and look at how dangerous we look when we actually support Gerrard and Torres.

why do we always do it with only 10 minutes left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Go a gaol down, stick to the same tactics.

Lose a man, stick to the same tactics.

Go a second goal down, stick to the same tactics.

It is Houllier all over again. Sorry Rafa but at the end of the season I hope we change manager and ship a few senior players out too.

People will moan and say we will become a midtable team without Rafa, well it sure as hell looks like we are one now under him.

My days of defending the man are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

jebidiah wrote: »
    rafa needs a kick up the hole, every liverpool player needs a kick up the hole
    I know just the man for the job. Btw can someone do up graphic please!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gerrard very close there. Fair play to Pompey and Grant for getting the tactics right. Just need to get a few performances like this and they should get the hell outta dodge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

~Rebel~ wrote: »

In my eyes it's a show of disrespect to the fans. I understand he's the manager but change isn't going to help us in this game.

I think time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Its mind boggling. Its like he's thinking, "okay, we're 2-0 now, 5 mins left, cant do anything about it so lets get him some game time"......so why the fook not bring on Babel or N'gog even when it was 1-0 with loads of time left..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Grants first game was a mare, but since that, 2 wins, 1 draw and a very, very narrow defeat against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Grant 5 Benitez 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

"well jou hefh to look at the positivfs"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I really hope Rafa doesn't try to concentrate on the Masch incident in his post-match. It was practically irrelevant to the result.

jebidiah wrote: »
    "well jou hefh to look at the positivfs"

Hard to take any positives from this really. Liverpool today remind me of the way Newcastle played in the last game against Villa. Horrible to watch with such high things at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fair play to Portsmouth, was a deserved win.They wanted it more today, and Grant was able to expose the lack of flexibility and tactics that Liverpool showed.

Anyone who did not know which team was which would never have guessed that Pompey were the team starting the game at the bottom of the league.

No excuses for Liverpool today.

The players were spineless and inept, and the manager was clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think Rafa needs to go if Liverpool want any chance of Champions League football next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I never liked Grant before, i thought he always came across a bit clueless, but he certainly appears to have ability.

Grant for Liverpool? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

some really strange subs by rafa

cant get my head around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow. I'm really really shocked, I must say. Like I know things are bad, but that entire performance was just woeful. Woeful. Portsmouth weren't even that good.

PHB wrote: »
    Wow. I'm really really shocked, I must say. Like I know things are bad, but that entire performance was just woeful. Woeful. Portsmouth weren't even that good.

They weren't that good no, but they took their chances and took them well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Grant 5 Benitez 0

is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Well played portsmouth, congratulations.

Its hard to defend bringing on spearing instead of ngog or babel there fellow reds. Complete joke to be honest.

PHB wrote: »
    Portsmouth weren't even that good.

I only saw the last 30mins mind, but I think this is unfair. They defended really well and were a constant threat on the counter. It wasn't a stellar performance by any means but they did work hard for that results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

a disgraceful performance - and that's even without factoring in the weekend that was in it. Rafa and his guarantees:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I was on the keep Rafa until the end of the season wagon, but now I think the sooner he goes the better. Possibly Sammy Lee as caretaker until a decent manager becomes available. His asinine substitutions make me want to pull my hair out. Rafa has done a good job but it's time to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Where did this Pichion fella come from. Looked very good today.

Rafa should do the honourable thing now and just resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Delighted! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

is incorrect.

Apologies 3 wins and 2 draws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

gimmick wrote: »

Rafa should do the honourable thing now and just resign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquionne

Olimpique Lyon if you're too lazy to look! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fair play to Portsmouth, was a deserved win.They wanted it more today, and Grant was able to expose the lack of flexibility and tactics that Liverpool showed.

Anyone who did not know which team was which would never have guessed that Pompey were the team starting the game at the bottom of the league.

No excuses for Liverpool today.

The players were spineless and inept, and the manager was clueless.
    completely agree. I think we have sunk to a new low today and Rafa surely has to go now.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

Hart brought him in during the summer. Wiki says he's on loan from Lyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquionne

Olimpique Lyon if you're too lazy to look! :D

^ Sure am. Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Rafa has to go lads.

well done portsmouth.

that wasn't even a good performance from you.

you've played far better and lost this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is not an exaggeration - that was one of the most spineless performances Ive ever seen from Liverpool. Definitely one of the worst performances under Benitez.

His decisions in this game, were mind boggling.

1. Dossena comes out of nowhere to play on the left wing. Two left backs on the left side.

2. Only 3 goal scorers in the team (Gerrard, Torres and Kuyt) while playing against the worst side in the league ?

3. Playing both Lucas and Mascherano, neither of which are a goal threat, against the worst side in the league ?

4. Continuing to play Kuyt when he is having an awful season...yet he starts EVERY game

5. Bringing on Spearing (who is not a goal threat) instead of one of the attacking players, when chasing the game

Can anyone argue against any of the above points ? I really dont think so. But I'm sure MrAlan will try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Torres is going to leave at this rate. It might not be all Rafa's fault( i do think most of it is due to the well documented reasons on this forum) but a rot has set in and it's time to change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I know just the man for the job. Btw can someone do up graphic please!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg

:confused:

yl6bxpz

Rafa: "Sending off of Mascherano changed the game"

BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

wow he looked like a man who knows hes going to lose his job in that interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Am the only one who has a bad feeling about this today ?

Pompey have won 2 of their last 3 at home and we have a team containing Dossena, Insua and Lucas.

I guess it was just me then.

Sometimes it's **** being right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

words cannot express how disgraceful a performance that was. it's like the players are not performing to get rid of rafa.

Tusky wrote: »
    Can anyone argue against any of the above points ? I really dont think so. But I'm sure MrAlan will try.

I'll have a go at a couple.
    1. Dossena comes out of nowhere to play on the left wing. Two left backs on the left side.

Width is the biggest thing Pool lack. Rieira can't hack the pace of the league, Babel and Benayoun cuts central, it's an attempt to give more width.
    2. Only 3 goal scorers in the team (Gerrard, Torres and Kuyt) while playing against the worst side in the league ?

who else is there to be fair?
    3. Playing both Lucas and Mascherano, neither of which are a goal threat, against the worst side in the league ?

So you'd rather let an unfit Aquilani play against a team of relegation strugglers who'll be physically very very imposing?
    4. Continuing to play Kuyt when he is having an awful season...yet he starts EVERY game

There is no alternative.
    5. Bringing on Spearing (who is not a goal threat) instead of one of the attacking players, when chasing the game

He did it to allow the fullbacks go forward more. Spearing sat very very far back and would effectively sweep when Pool were on the ball while allowing the rest to go forward.

I've long been saying Liverpool should cast aside Benitez if they want to progress further than they are today. But some of the statements here today are completely reactionary.

But some of the statements here today are completely reactionary.

the 'reactionary' comments are reacting to far too many below par performances, culminating in today; quite possibly the most inept display seen under Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'll have a go at a couple.
    Width is the biggest thing Pool lack. Rieira can't hack the pace of the league, Babel and Benayoun cuts central, it's an attempt to give more width.

So the wingers Benitez has bought cant do the job required ?

who else is there to be fair?

Torres---N'Gog

Aurelio---Gerrard---Masch---Yossi

Could even play Babel on the left.
    So you'd rather let an unfit Aquilani play against a team of relegation strugglers who'll be physically very very imposing?

No - Gerrard can play central midfield. Also - Aquilani (who hasnt made a start in a meaningful match and its currently 19th December) was bought by Benitez.
    He did it to allow the fullbacks go forward more. Spearing sat very very far back and would effectively sweep when Pool were on the ball while allowing the rest to go forward.

Thats the only point of yours that I'll half accept. Dont agree with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Of course there are reactionary comments. It doesn't invalidate them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I missed the build up to the game where was Aqualini today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

We are going backwards at an alarming rate and for all the problems at the club Benitez has himself to blame in five years he has not sorted the wide positions and from going from Bellamy Crouch and Keane as support to Torres we now have Ngog and Voronin (a so called free transfer but his contract is worth 8-10 million).The only word to some up today is muck and will now miss Mascherano for four games.

So the wingers Benitez has bought cant do the job required

Exactly. The issue there is his long term transfer strategy that's left Liverpool so short in this area, not his selection on the day. Nothing changed today, so i find it so odd that Pool fans opinions change so quickly when they were so willing to find excuses for this in the past.
    Could even play Babel on the left.

I know you could, but he wouldn't made made much of a difference. Babel and Yossi are not natural wide players and would have gotten caught in the congested middle today as much as anyone else.
    No - Gerrard can play central midfield.
    No he can't. He does not have the discipline anymore, for whatever reason (probably being played so far forward for so long). He is not, and should not be considered an option for CM. He's far too direct in his play and concedes possession too much, he drifts out of position leaving space for the oppisition to exploit and he doesn't track back enough.
    Also - Aquilani (who hasnt made a start in a meaningful match and its currently 19th December) was bought by Benitez.

You're right. The Aquilani thing makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard doesn't have the discipline to play CM against a top 4 side. But it's bloody Portsmouth.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I missed the build up to the game where was Aqualini today?

he was only 98% fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement