Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fallout 3

Options
  • 18-12-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Simply Question, is it worth playing? I have put it off, because to be honest i just didnt like the look of it.

I have cleared the games i have been waiting for and am looking at something to do me till Jan 2010.

So would you recommend it?

Is it really a RPG or more a FPS?

I know there are mix reviews, But just wondering if its really worth playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

best game of 2008 easily, more of an RPG than FPS tho the shooting isnt great unless you use VATS.

150 page thread in this forum on it will contain spoilers, best advice is avoid the main story as takes about 2 hours to clear.

But around 100 hours of just wandering around being good or evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm currently playing it for the first time atm and yes... yes it definitely is worth playing. The ability to just wander and discover is amazing. I plan to cover as much of the map as possible before wrapping the main storyline.

It starts slow, and tbh, I felt the time at the start in the Vault was laboured and boring, and I actually quit it before getting out of the Vault when I tried to play it first shortly after its release. But once you get your freedom and your first quest under you belt it all just starts to flow. You get to know the world and interact with it based on how you are feeling. You want that feel good feeling of helping out some old timers... it's got it, you want to unleash hell on a bunch of innocents... you got it. I've found both the good and bad quests equally satisfying.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Leimr0d wrote:
    I'm currently playing it for the first time atm and yes... yes it definitely is worth playing. The ability to just wander and discover is amazing. I plan to cover as much of the map as possible before wrapping the main storyline.

I was thinking the same thing, I'm going wonder around and not bother with the main storyline, just pick a direction at random and wonder around.

This gas station looks like an interesting first stop, hmm whats in here....oh a vault like the one I just left, and whats in these pods....ah god damn it.
    My very first mission was mission 4 of the main story, meaning I skipped the first 3 parts and discovered my Dad straight away. As in 10 minutes exploring and by pure chance I discovered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Probably my fav next gen game (or this gen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

more rpg. Fps element is more tactical than skillful, because of VATS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Thanks for the reply lads.

I am after a RPG more then a FPS. I just finished Dragons Age. I am waiting on Starwars and Mass effect 2/AssCred 2 to come out next year.

I will give it a go then,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

dreamers75 wrote: »
    best game of 2008 easily, more of an RPG than FPS tho the shooting isnt great unless you use VATS.

150 page thread in this forum on it will contain spoilers, best advice is avoid the main story as takes about 2 hours to clear.

But around 100 hours of just wandering around being good or evil.

boarderlands is better :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Pdfile wrote: »

It's better if you want a co op fps that is pretty much diablo with gunsthen yes borderlands is better....

FALLOUT 3 would have more story/choices to make which is prob what the OP is looking for.

Apples and oranges tbh. Borderlands is a much better FPS, but it doesn't even come close to Fallout 3 as an RPG. There is no narrative in it and has one of the most clichéd gaming finales possible.

Even as a coop I found it to be a bit haphazard. There is no need to have 4 people for the missions, you could just as easily complete it on your own. Also you end up missing loads of the story and missions if people splinter off and complete them on their own.

I played it through once in about 3 days and then had no inclination to continue with it. Whereas Fallout 3 has completely sucked me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oh the time I lost to fallout 3 , If you have just come from Dragon Age then Fallout would be like RPG lite. OP the best way I can sum it up is that it's like Oblivion with guns and set in a post apocalyptic Washington D.C.

I like all kinds of RPG's from final fantasy to neverwinter nights. Fallout 3 was something special for me, It just grabbed me and refused to let go. I saw it to rent in Xtra Vision earlier so you could try it out but if it gets you say good bye to xmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

calex71 wrote: »
    Oh the time I lost to fallout 3 , If you have just come from Dragon Age then Fallout would be like RPG lite. OP the best way I can sum it up is that it's like Oblivion with guns and set in a post apocalyptic Washington D.C.

I like all kinds of RPG's from final fantasy to neverwinter nights. Fallout 3 was something special for me, It just grabbed me and refused to let go. I saw it to rent in Xtra Vision earlier so you could try it out but if it gets you say good bye to xmas :D

Cheers for that,

As i love Oblivion and all the games you just named! I was going to give Mass effect another go just to get in the mood for when MS2 comes next month. But i will give Fallout 3 a blast today!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

fallout 2008 borderlands 2009 ;)

I enjoyed fallout more but the online in borderlands was brilliant but shortlived.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The vats system is cool,watching a dogs face blow apart in slow motion is cool.

The vats system is cool,watching a dogs face blow apart in slow motion is cool.

never gets old does it. I have a mask that stops ghouls from attacking me but I never wear it as it's just too much fun shooting them in the face and watching their eyeballs blow out of their head in slow motion :D

Made it to here (image below) just now. I'm absolutely loving this game.

99473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Is that little lamplight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

^^ Yes, that's Little Lamplight (Unless it's Ald Ruhn from morrowind)

3198524008_3329f1634c.jpg
    Blazher wrote: »
    Simply Question, is it worth playing? I have put it off, because to be honest i just didnt like the look of it.

I have to say, when I first saw it in previews etc., I was thinking that it looked depressing and boring, but you really get into it. Some of the storylines aren't the best but the game itself overall is very solid.
    Azza wrote: »

This gas station looks like an interesting first stop, hmm whats in here....oh a vault like the one I just left, and whats in these pods....ah god damn it.

Haha, the same thing happened to me. I didn't even go to Megaton till level 12 or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Monotype wrote: »
    Haha, the same thing happened to me. I didn't even go to Megaton till level 12 or something.

I went to megaton after leaving the vault but went wandering straight after that. After about 40 or 50 hours of wandering I thought "Wasn't there something I was meant to be doing, oh yeah, the main quest. Better go start that".

Great game for just pissing about in a doing a bit of wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Any must have mods?

I remember stopping first round through as soon as I dinged 20... it appears I was solely motivated by the little ching you get when you kill someone :o that and I would have planned my character better had I known it was going to be set in stone rather abruptly :(

Started it again - playin evil this time, good craic choosing all the obnoxious conversation choices :P

Wossack wrote: »
    Any must have mods?

Well I'm playing with all the DLC enabled. Which is probably recommended as it's more of a complete game this way.

In regards to mods, stumbleupon just happened to link me to this the other day.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/5-awesome-fallout-3-armor-mods/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Love it to pieces! I don't really have the time to sink into RPG's though, i've covered the main storyline, bout 3/4 of the side quests and "Broken Steel". If i were to play it as much as i'd like to i'd never have the time to play any other game.

Btw
    Does anyone else pretty much depend on Fawkes? I would have found it impossible to finish without him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Its possibly the best game I've ever played offline....and I really don't like offline games at all. Just remember, it takes 7 or 8 hours to get into properly so don't be put off by the slow opening. Once you pass that mark, there are literally a million things you can do, its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Love it to pieces! I don't really have the time to sink into RPG's though, i've covered the main storyline, bout 3/4 of the side quests and "Broken Steel". If i were to play it as much as i'd like to i'd never have the time to play any other game.

Btw
    Does anyone else pretty much depend on Fawkes? I would have found it impossible to finish without him!
    Ditch fawkes, ruins the game. I bring a regular character and just keep them well equipped, otherwise you lose that sense of immersion. The game is tough, but set it to the hardest setting, and concentrate on your tactics, gear, use of stimpaks and loot enough to pay for that and its a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Any must have mods?

I remember stopping first round through as soon as I dinged 20... it appears I was solely motivated by the little ching you get when you kill someone :o that and I would have planned my character better had I known it was going to be set in stone rather abruptly :(

Started it again - playin evil this time, good craic choosing all the obnoxious conversation choices :P

Broken Steel would be top of the list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

L31mr0d wrote: »
    never gets old does it. I have a mask that stops ghouls from attacking me but I never wear it as it's just too much fun shooting them in the face and watching their eyeballs blow out of their head in slow motion :D

I had a few pics where it shows dogs and mole rats been blown apart but I cant find them though :-(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Btw

EDIT: Oops never mind, I was wrong, lol or rather the Fallout wiki was wrong when I originally read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

i got into this when it was first out and loved it but never completed it.

Lately my internet got slowjoeitis stopping my fun with mw2 so i went back to it from the start and it hauled me back in again.

It has the most satisfying combat system i have ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Any must have mods?

I have Moriartys turned into a pole dancing club, I have Terminators wandering the wasteland and the rail tunnels, Super bosses in the wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Curious? Can you explore a large area of terrain freely like Fallout 3, if so then i'm definately getting borderlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

nachoman wrote: »
    Curious? Can you explore a large area of terrain freely like Fallout 3, if so then i'm definately getting borderlands.
    No, areas are locked off based on story mission progression.

They're completely different games. The only comparisons are their RPG elements. I put over 130 hours (with DLC) into Fallout before I felt finished. Borderlands, just over 24 hours (without DLC).

Both are good games, but like L31mr0d said, apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

No, areas are locked off based on story mission progression.

They're completely different games. The only comparisons are their RPG elements. I put over 130 hours (with DLC) into Fallout before I felt finished. Borderlands, just over 24 hours (without DLC).

Both are good games, but like L31mr0d said, apples and oranges.

meh, ever since I played Oblivion or fallout 3, i don't want any other games.

Advertisement