Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After effect of Lisbon treaty to Non-Irish/Non-EU citizens

Options
  • 18-12-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am not an expert on this topic and just wanted to get good crip about what it is and what are the benefits.

Surely, it benefits Ireland and Irish citizens and whole EU. But in terms of the Non-Irish/Non-EU citizens and residents, are there any benefit to them? For instance, will there be less paper works and more efficient services in terms of the immigration issues and travel issues within EU?

Apologies for coming into completely orthognal angle. However, any good and thoughtful insights about the treaty is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

MGLman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am not an expert on this topic and just wanted to get good crip about what it is and what are the benefits.

Surely, it benefits Ireland and Irish citizens and whole EU. But in terms of the Non-Irish/Non-EU citizens and residents, are there any benefit to them? For instance, will there be less paper works and more efficient services in terms of the immigration issues and travel issues within EU?

Apologies for coming into completely orthognal angle. However, any good and thoughtful insights about the treaty is much appreciated. Thanks again.

As I understand it, in the short term No. In the medium to long term, I'd suspect that most EU states will end up in Schengen and there will just be a common EU Visa rather than the fragmented systems that exists at present. Also, on much the same time scale, it is likely that you'll see the Border Police of the various member states operating to a common Frontex standard (that way you don't have one member state being real easy on dodgy immigrants, while another is overly strict on bona fide tourists). Both those areas were already being worked on pre-Lisbon and, if I recall correctly, Lisbon made changes in both these areas.

Advertisement