Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post tracking - will I bother?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

So, I was tracking an expensive package that was posted last week via An Post. The first thing to show up on the tracker was that it was in Portlaoise on Monday, with a status "On route to customer". On Wednesday there was no change in status, so I was a bit surprised (and pleased) when I found out the package had already been delivered.

However, the status of the package is still showing as on route. Which means that they didn't bother their arses scanning it anywhere in between Portlaoise and the destination. I'd have expected it to be scanned when it arrived at the local sorting office, and again when heading off with the postman.

I mailed An Post letting them know about this and the response was that "As there is no further tracking there must have been a problem with the address, and it's been returned to sender. Alternatively try going to the sorting office with photo ID and ask them to check, but that's a long shot as the delivery office would have scanned the item there."

Now, I spend a lot of personal time castigating An Post (it's a really unrewarding hobby - akin to collecting paper napkins). Given that it was delivered safely, and pretty promptly for the time of year, should I just drop it? It just irks me slightly that the tracking is so poor and that they have absolutely no clue as to the location of something entrusted to their care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep same here.
    I had to send a doggy router back to Belkin last month and used Anpost tracking as requested by Belkin.

The tracking was updated for the first day only and nothing after that, in the end I had to ring Belkin to ask if they had it... they said they had.

I know a glitch like this can happen as when Belkin sent me back a replacement router it ended up being singed for by a bloke in London! ?
    I'm now waiting for replacement router no2 from them and I'm hoping it will be singed for by me in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thole

Do you know if anyone signed for it when it was delivered? Whatever about it being scanned at various points en route the delivery card should certainly have been scanned subsequent to delivery and should be archived with An Post. You could follow up their e mail with a request for the delivery signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

An Post are really slow when it comes to updating the tracking system
    You can ring them for an update 1850 57 58 59

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thoie

Do you know if anyone signed for it when it was delivered? Whatever about it being scanned at various points en route the delivery card should certainly have been scanned subsequent to delivery and should be archived with An Post. You could follow up their e mail with a request for the delivery signature.

I'm not 100% positive - but it was handed directly to someone, and he'd have signed if he was asked to. Our postman is a good postman, it's just the sorting office are a bit crap. It's still showing in the tracker as On Route.

@RoadKillTs - I'd already called customer services on Wednesday morning to ask for an update. She rang the sorting office about it, and they said they couldn't see it so therefore assumed the postman had it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I hear ya!

I ordered something and it took forever to get through customs so I was delighted when I finally got an An Post tracking number. That was until it remained "In Depot" for a couple of days - I figured it was because of the Christmas rush. Then the one day I take a half-day, the postman tries to deliver and as my luck would have it, no one was around (which is highly unusual) so he took it back. The sickner is that if I had it delivered to my home it would have been taken in as I had an unregistered parcel sent to me at that address.

Now there was NO delivery docket under my office door and no word from the postal office that all mail to my building goes through. I thought they had to leave an attempted delivery notice?

So I had no idea where it was. I rang customer service to be told that it'd be in my local post office. I was still dubious as it said "In Depot" so I rang back again (bare in mind that it takes forever to get through at this time of year) and I was told that it was still in the van and I'd have to wait till Monday and head all the way out to their main depot as I've a customs charge on it. I'm going to have to take a half-day and lots of public transport to make my way there. Also finding out where exactly it is wasn't easy.

My status was saying "No answer at address" but this has now disappeared. Dunno what that means. I was vaguely holding out some hope of them wanting to try to redeliver - not a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement