Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone train your support team

• 18-12-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i was amazed by how stupid the vodafone tech support guys i rang today were

i was in a house that had vodafone home bb 3 months but they never got it working

dsl was syncing fine, so it was either a port or an account problem, but do you think i could get that thru to the tech support guy

he wanted me to connect using the wire
    then delete the wirelesss connection
    then recreate the wireless connection
    then repair the wired connection

all the time i was reminding him i can access the routers page, and telling him it said it was synced but had a password problem

he then told me to enter the phonenumber @vodafone.ie as the username to access the router settings :eek: thats when i hung up

tried again, and the second guy wanted me to remove the antivirus and disable the firewall, WTF :rolleyes: you complete idiot, hung up again voilently

3rd guy said it was not an account porblem so probably a port problem in the exchange and logged a fault for the engineer, thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What kind of router was it? Did you have these settings right?

VPI 8
    VCI 35
    Encapsulation PPPoE
    Multiplexing LLC

Username: Vodafone@vodafone.ie
    Password: broadband

The VPI, VCI and encapsulation and multiplexing settings on some routers are set up for UK lines by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thanks, i checked all that, i do this for a living, and even tried different routers

i was 100% certain that the problem was in the exchange or an account problem, just getting this through to vodafone was my issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If dsl was syncing fine could you ping servers? what was your problem with vodafone, they were checking to make sure you had your settings right it is possible that they could of been wrong. Firewalls and antivirus could interfere with your capability with connecting to the internet.

No wonder people who work at call centre's get frustrated with customers who won't listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mukki wrote: »
    thanks, i checked all that, i do this for a living, and even tried different routers
    EKRIUQ wrote: »
    No wonder people who work at call centre's get frustrated with customers who won't listen.

In fairness he does this for a living so he knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

I'm guessing you have no internet light on your router or you cannot establish a connection with the ISP so the router does not get assigned a vodafone IP address, or does it get assigned one and your just not able to traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

Sometimes you know more than the person you are talking to does and some humility goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have no internet light on your router or you cannot establish a connection with the ISP so the router does not get assigned a vodafone IP address, or does it get assigned one and your just not able to traffic?

no i was not getting an ip, dsl syncing was fine

when i plugged in an eircom router (chnaged to vodafone settings) , dsl was solid (3072/378 noise 36/17), but internet light was red, disgraceful that vodafone was telling a customer to make changes to their pc, when they could see the i had sync on their screen

eircom would have asked me to reset the router, then they would have suggested i try a few different usernames and passwords like "technician", and then they would have logged a fault

Sometimes you know more than the person you are talking to does and some humility goes a long way.

ah no i wasn't anyway cheeky to them, crap like that can upset a sensitive guy for the whole weekend, i understand that its hard to fix things over the phone but i reminded them i had dsl sync and access to the routers several times, but i had to hang up as i was on hold about 5-10 mins for each call, and i had 5 other computers to look at yesterday, also i disconnected the telephone line coming into the house and fed it stright to the router, and wanted to put the place back together before i left

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Yeah, thats the road I would have went down having previously worked in the business, check usernames and passwords, reset router and if not log a fault as there is a dedicated option when logging one for exactly this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd just like to point out that if your line was syncing, perhaps that gave them reason to think that actually the router was fine and the problem was with the computer.

I don't know if they can tell if the line has a DSL connection but not a PPPOE connection. I'm sure they can tell the presence of the latter, but just the former on its own??

Either way, PPPOE wasn't working which meant that any suggestions relating to any PC or computer device were totally bogus and silly. I've got stronger words but I'll keep them to myself:p

Vodafone would really want to cop the f*ck on. I see nothing but service complaints about them on this fourm. But unlike BT they never had any billing issues:D
    That goes both ways. Sometimes there are times when a person should know when they've been beat, so to speak. People sometimes just can't shut up and realise that they're spouting crap to a person who knows much more than you do on the subject. Most cases, the only option left for the rightly inconvenienced customer is to nod along and say yes. Far better to find someone who knows what they're doing, or a supervisor, or who can even pay attention to what the customer asked for, not telling the customer what s/he's looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to be fair on the cs people, the same story goes with dell that they must go through all the usual avenues as most people who ringup would have some silly problem such as switchnig it on etc. I would suggest you just replied to each cs person that you did what they asked knowing quite well what you want. Like another poster said, humility goes a long way when you obviously know more than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

When I switched from Eircom Broadband ADSL to Eircom Broadband ADSL2+, my line was down for a day because the new ADSL2+ port had not yet been configured at the BRAS. DSL sync was fine, but PPPoE could not get an IP address, totally normal when port is not setup on the BRAS. This is *not* a local exchange problem but a problem at the central exchange for that region. In Cork, the BRAS is in Churchfield and this does all the authentication for the whole of Cork City and County. My point posting in this thread though, is that when I rang Eircom during the day my line was down, all they could see was the line was down, they could *not* tell from their side that DSL sync was up, so if PPPoE is down, they basically cannot tell anything, so it's a guessing game for them then, hence similar problems with Vodafone too. It's not a good system that is being used at the moment. Obviously in my case, I knew exactly what was going on, I also do this for a living, and was just wondering when the BRAS was going to be updated with the new port details, but most customers could be lead down all kinds of wrong paths with this sort of thing.

Advertisement