Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland Club open trials

• 18-12-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

With all the clubs having serious financial situations i believe these clubs should hold open trials for new talent as its a cost effective way of catching those talents that "have slipped through the net"

i know 1 or 2 lads that could make the grade but have no means of getting an opportunity to showcase their talents ;/

what are your thoughts about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I don't follow League of ireland football all that much but i personally its a great idea considering the debt some of the clubs are in and at the end of the day they nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

It's a great idea.

They did this at Bohs. When I was playing with them the trials were on and the club brought in some fantastic players, some destined to make the first team I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Doyler92 wrote: »
    It's a great idea.

They did this at Bohs. When I was playing with them the trials were on and the club brought in some fantastic players, some destined to make the first team I think.

this is why i reckon it should happen for examples like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

If uncontracted players want a trial, all they have to do is ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone had open trials a few times in the last few years, nobody signed from them, waste of time to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

A number of clubs have had open trials over the years. Not many get through from them. Loads of people look at a couple of games and think they are good enough. Then they try out, and find out that they are not. Players generally find their own level, so if they are toiling away down the amateur leagues, thats probably where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm dusting off my boots as I type... hmm, for some reason, both of them say "L" on the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kenteach wrote: »
    A number of clubs have had open trials over the years. Not many get through from them. Loads of people look at a couple of games and think they are good enough. Then they try out, and find out that they are not. Players generally find their own level, so if they are toiling away down the amateur leagues, thats probably where they belong.

least they get paid on time :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am not up on my LOI,but can a good player capable of playing LOI football "have slipped through the net" so much that non of the clubs are aware of him..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am not up on my LOI,but can a good player capable of playing LOI football "have slipped through the net" so much that non of the clubs are aware of him..?

Very much doubt it, example, Shels are the only LoI team with an underage team at every level, yet we don't really get many going through to the first team, saying that a few getto England e.g. Anthony Stokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mrDerek wrote: »
    i know 1 or 2 lads that could make the grade but have no means of getting an opportunity to showcase their talents ;/

Not being smart Derek, but is this informed by a preconceived notion of the standard of LOI? What level do your friends play at now?

Unless they've been actively avoiding football here, I doubt they'd have failed to come up on the radar somewhere.

While the standard here is not of the top two leagues in England, many players at the top level here were more than likely on the books of an English club or watched. The DDSL in particular has scouts all over it. I doubt that any promising players would be missed.

The LOI clubs have bad youth structures in general but the youth football structure (as in non-LOI) here is gigantic. And watched closely by clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

When I saw the thread title I thought it must be about Cork City and their court cases. Ooops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

stovelid wrote: »
    Not being smart Derek, but is this informed by a preconceived notion of the standard of LOI?

no offense taken.i said could not would make the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Very much doubt it, example, Shels are the only LoI team with an underage team at every level, yet we don't really get many going through to the first team, saying that a few getto England e.g. Anthony Stokes.

That's because once it gets to u20s Dermot doesn't care. Also, Bohs do not hold trials at senior level Doyler92. And Bohs are sh1t at underage anyways so no one would ever go on to the senior team from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I've resurrected this thread from the dead after hearing that Bohemians have retained only 4 players from last years squad.

With the ongoing financial crisis that's gripping Irish football it could hardly hurt to have a few open trials. I've been playing at every level from local div 5 football to leinster senior league and LOI u21 and know that there are some very talented players out there playing well below their standard.

I was playing for a club in Vancouver at the end of last year and open trials are very common over there. The Vancouver Whitecaps have been trialing every man and his dog in preperation for their entry to the MLS next season.

Most clubs don't do open trials, but the FAI run some over the close season with any uncontracted players so as to give managers a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Not being smart Derek, but is this informed by a preconceived notion of the standard of LOI? What level do your friends play at now?

Unless they've been actively avoiding football here, I doubt they'd have failed to come up on the radar somewhere.

While the standard here is not of the top two leagues in England, many players at the top level here were more than likely on the books of an English club or watched. The DDSL in particular has scouts all over it. I doubt that any promising players would be missed.

The LOI clubs have bad youth structures in general but the youth football structure (as in non-LOI) here is gigantic. And watched closely by clubs.

Whatever about the DDSL the rest of Ireland would not be as rigorously scouted & im sure plenty of talent has fallen by the wayside because of this.

On the issue of trials however, a LOI team in the west have been recently offering trials to a good few Junior League players , some not even in the top division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Seriously, if you're playing well at LSL you'll get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

bohsman wrote: »
    Seriously, if you're playing well at LSL you'll get noticed.

Junior football in Ireland exists outside the Leinster Senior League you know.
    Any player good enough in an area with a loi club would almost definitely get there chance but it's hard to know outside of that. For instance Sligo Rovers signed Seamie Coleman as an 18 year old after he impressed in a pre season freindly against ST. Catherines of Killybeggs. He could very easily have slipped through the net but for that chance encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Don't UCD hold open trials for all the new students?

How'd they get on because you'd expect they'd have the best chance of spotting someone decent because they've got a big group to draw from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Seaneh wrote: »
    Athlone had open trials a few times in the last few years, nobody signed from them, waste of time to be fair.

Athlone has a couple of excellent junior teams, 2 of the best in the country for such a small town. They have some real stand out players nationally on the junior scene but when they featured for Athlone Town they looked mediocre. And Athlone are a mid-to lower level first division side.

People knock the standard in the league but its still a significant step up from Junior football.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Athlone has a couple of excellent junior teams, 2 of the best in the country for such a small town. They have some real stand out players nationally on the junior scene but when they featured for Athlone Town they looked mediocre. And Athlone are a mid-to lower level first division side.

People knock the standard in the league but its still a significant step up from Junior football.

Its a huge step up. You can always tell the people who know nothing about the standard in the league of Ireland when they compare the two or reckon all their mates are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

No point in holding open trials. If they're good enough, they'll be at the bigger underage clubs from around the country, then they'll join the underage LOI teams, next thing you know, they weren't up to the standard and never kick a ball again.

No point in holding open trials. If they're good enough, they'll be at the bigger underage clubs from around the country, then they'll join the underage LOI teams, next thing you know, they're farmed over to England in their thousands by underage teams, don't get a game and are dumped back here they weren't up to the standard and never kick a ball again.

Fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Junior football in Ireland exists outside the Leinster Senior League you know.
    Any player good enough in an area with a loi club would almost definitely get there chance but it's hard to know outside of that. For instance Sligo Rovers signed Seamie Coleman as an 18 year old after he impressed in a pre season freindly against ST. Catherines of Killybeggs. He could very easily have slipped through the net but for that chance encounter.

If you are playing junior ball you are not good enough, fast enough or fit enough to step up to the LoI. People are wildely underestimating the standard and fitness required for the LoI.

If Sligs had missed out on Coleman, Galway would have stepped in. The scouting system in Ireland is robust - players of that ability don't remain unoticed for long either by the clubs or the FAI elite coaching setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Fixed that for you
    Sorry, I can't write a response to that it annoyed me that much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well some players may have given up on football early to focus on a job or education or because of family problems or because they fell out of shape etc. Loads of reasons, though if they got involved in the sport again getting involved in an organised amateur league would probably be their first port of call in which they get noticed. No harm in setting up trials for a smaller LOI team. Not that hard to organise I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Don't UCD hold open trials for all the new students?

How'd they get on because you'd expect they'd have the best chance of spotting someone decent because they've got a big group to draw from

Yeah they do. Most of the students ain't good enough for the LOI though, so they go to the college league team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

mrDerek wrote: »
    With all the clubs having serious financial situations i believe these clubs should hold open trials for new talent as its a cost effective way of catching those talents that "have slipped through the net"

what are your thoughts about this?
    they do there a team trials.ours were held at the end of jaunary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

If you are playing junior ball you are not good enough, fast enough or fit enough to step up to the LoI. People are wildely underestimating the standard and fitness required for the LoI.

If Sligs had missed out on Coleman, Galway would have stepped in. The scouting system in Ireland is robust - players of that ability don't remain unoticed for long either by the clubs or the FAI elite coaching setup.
    it was harps but he was about to choose the filth that is gaa

it was harps but he was about to choose the filth that is gaa

Doubly good work the Sligo so!

You should use that as an campaign to recruit youngsters. "Play for us and maybe make it as a millionaire and play for Ireland. Go over there and roll around in the mud with 29 creatine filled bogmen. Choice is yours".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Doubly good work the Sligo so!

You should use that as an campaign to recruit youngsters. "Play for us and maybe make it as a millionaire and play for Ireland. Go over there and roll around in the mud with 29 creatine filled bogmen. Choice is yours".

"Go over there and roll around in the mud with 29 creatine filled bogmen". What a petty thing to say. The lack of smilies and exclaimation points would suggest that you are serious. Please try and get over this hatred of the GAA.

Het-Field wrote: »
    "Go over there and roll around in the mud with 29 creatine filled bogmen". What a petty thing to say. The lack of smilies and exclaimation points would suggest that you are serious. Please try and get over this hatred of the GAA.

Go away. No-one wants to listen to you

Het-Field wrote: »

Jesus you must have a tracker on ONYD these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can I be this guy if we make a move of it...

Jesus you must have a tracker on ONYD these days.

The Gaavalry will no doubt be aliong shortly. ;)

Keith Fahey
    Cherry Orchard
    Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Bluebell United (2 weeks max?)
    St Pats
    Drogs
    St Pats
    Birmingham

Any decent player in any league over here would be looked at but sometimes just sometimes LOI clubs get to them before English clubs, or its a case the english clubs didnt want them and we get them then.

Doyle, Fahey,Mc Allister the most recent stand outs that played for pats :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This. Really gets tiring having non-LOI attendees telling us what we're doing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

CSF wrote: »
    This. Really gets tiring having non-LOI attendees telling us what we're doing wrong.

Maybe they are well placed to discover badly done things overlooked by those on the inside. An extra insight. It should be welcomed if constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dsmythy wrote: »
    Maybe they are well placed to discover badly done things overlooked by those on the inside. An extra insight. It should be welcomed if constructive.
    But it isn't constructive by its very nature. If you don't care enough about something to get involved with it, there only seems one real reason to criticise it, and that is to have a go. I think it is almost universal among LOI fans that no1 wants to be preached to by those who could not be arsed to attend.

e.g. Anthony Stokes.

You do realise how Shels got Stokes from Man City Cherry Orchard? One of Ollies unfinest moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

CSF wrote: »
    But it isn't constructive by its very nature. If you don't care enough about something to get involved with it, there only seems one real reason to criticise it, and that is to have a go. I think it is almost universal among LOI fans that no1 wants to be preached to by those who could not be arsed to attend.

Sorry.

Im interested that you admit that LOI fans "(dont) want to be preached to by those who could not be arsed to attend". Essentially, you are saying that regardless of one's experience or opinions, you will not listen to the outsider. Instead, you would prefer to label us all as "barstoolers", and you live off the stale oders of self-satisfaction, telling yourself that your method of watching football, and your footballing experience is superior to those who get their footballing kicks elsewhere.

I am also interested that you, OhNoYouDidnt and ciaranc have simply told me to get lost, and save for OhNoYouDidnt (who has fairly, positively and actively engaged in the debate), that is all you have contributed to this debate. It is constructive to remind all and sundry of the catalytic reasons for the demise and difficulties of the LOI and its constituent clubs. It is only with the benefit of hindsight that the LOI can move forward. If it is left up to people like you and CiaranC, you would try to gloss over the mistakes which have had cataclysmic effects in some quarters, and unadulterated armageddon in others.

Finally, I am as entitled to my opinion as the next person. Yes, I dont attend the LOI nearly as much as I should. Yes, I have let my contributions to Shelbourne FC lapse. But that should not mean that the years I spent with Shelbourne should count for nothing when I seek to chip in with an opinion on the state of the league. From your perspective, it is my attempt at "having a go". To me, it is a gentle reminder.

I dont intend to say any more on the subject. It is a pointless debate at this stage.

Advertisement