Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of lens do I need ?

• 18-12-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi folks,
    Can anyone help please. I am a very amatuer photographer. I own a Canon 400d and want to buy a new lens(greater than 18-55mm). I am travelling South America and want to be able to photograph birds mainly. I will be travelling to the jungle where I will encounter the largest and best opportunity to photo birds. There will be varying levels of light and distances involved. Could you please recommend a lens that would best suit me. Cost is also an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Redser

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

There's a good thread here on a similar topic.

If you are still using the kit lenses and don't have one already I would recommend the 50 mm f1.8. It's light and a very cheap lens.

Other than that I have the 20mm USM f2.8 and so far find it great. have only had it a week though so haven't had too much use out of it.

For taking pictures of birds etc the 50mm should be fine, you might want a wider lens for taking scenery shots (20mm or less).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

For someone on a budget, the Sigma 70-300 seems to be the most popular choice by far. You might want to be careful to get a newish model because there has been a few updates to it I think. The newer ones have gotten better reviews if I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

daycent wrote: »
    For someone on a budget, the Sigma 70-300 seems to be the most popular choice by far. You might want to be careful to get a newish model because there has been a few updates to it I think. The newer ones have gotten better reviews if I recall.

I take it that lend soes not support auto focus or image stabilization?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yeah, I'd be guessing the 70-300 would be more what you need. Much and all that I love the 50 1.8, its going to be shag all use to you really if birds are your main interest. You need a decent zoom..

What's your budget and when are you going?

dnme wrote: »
    I take it that lend soes not support auto focus or image stabilization?

?

It doesn't have IS (as far as I know) but autofocus isn't an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

What about the 18-200 with IS?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

The Canon EFS 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS is very good, it got a very good review in one of the camera magazines) and it great on 400D. I got an 18-200 as I thought it would be good to have such a wide range of focal lengths and not have to change lenses etc but I would not recommend as its very heavy and I notice shadows around the corners of shots when used at 18mm and would much prefer the 55-250.

the 18-200 is about three times the price of the Sigma. All depends on the budget..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redser76

Thanks for all the replies lads. Great pics Sprinkles !
    To clarify a bit I have a EFS 18-55mm lens( is this the kit lens ??).

Sineadw- I am here now and have seen a Canon 70-300mm(dont know full spec) for $350 american. Is this good value ?

Freddie59- I have tested Sigma 55-200 in a shop but feel I need a bit more long range.

Can anyone reccomend any instructional sites ?

Thanks again.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Sounds like the kit lens that I got with my Canon Digital Kiss (400 in Ireland). It's a decent lens to begin with but once I got my hands on the 50mm I pretty much never took it off :) But then again I wasn't that interested with Macro shots and was content to learn with a fixed lens.

What kind of budget are you thinking about? Might help others point you in the right direction.

In terms of instructional sites, there are plenty out there. Depends on what you are looking to learn. The FAQ is a good place to start I guess (here's the most relevant post). Also if you can try and get out to one of the walkabouts, while I have never gone on one (yet) it would be a good opportunity to talk about the settings on your camera and watch how others go about framing shots etc. Luckily I had a few guys in my last work that were seasoned amateurs and were very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redser76

Thanks Sprinkles.
    Budget about 300 euros

redser76 wrote: »

Sineadw- I am here now and have seen a Canon 70-300mm(dont know full spec) for $350 american. Is this good value ?

:)

Seems to be about £120 sterling on Amazon. It'd take a while though. €250 in Conns here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Redser, HERE'S ONE on adverts.ie. Seems very good value. No IS though.

Advertisement