Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slim thermal floor insulation ...

Options
  • 18-12-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi guys n gals ...

i searched through some posts and couldnt find any help regarding this ...
    im just wondering is there anything out there similar to a very slim type insulation that could be say , rolled out firstly before laying a wooden floor , carpets etc etc

any opinions would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

have a look in your local wooden flooring shop there are several types of this,your wallet will be the deciding factor in what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 irishlion

do you think its worth it ? in terms of results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

3mm cork is what I used. I think it was about a meter wide and came in a roll. Still have most of a roll left.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

irishlion wrote: »
    do you think its worth it ? in terms of results ?
    If every time you do a bit to the house you insulate it a little more, the day will come when you see savings on fuel,also little by little will not hurt the finances so badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gs80

Low E from Chadwicks about 280 euro a roll 1 roll should do nearly all of your house its about the best you will get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Consider fibre board too. It's a cardboard-like material which is used as an underlay but since it's wood derived is also provides some insulation.. Comes in sheets about 500*800mm & 6mm thick and is very easy to lay. Just tape the joints to stop them shifting as you lay the flooring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Their is a special multi layer foil which has same u value (heat loss resistance) as standard kingspan instillation. The foil is designed to be used where there's not enough space for kingspan, fiber glass etc. Most Builders Suppliers have some of the foil range available, only a few mm thick, its the bee's knee's, expensive all the same.

I've recently put down some new wooded floors upstairs, I got a special felt and foil underlay designed for heat loss, not as good as the above foil but enough to help, avg rooms took two rolls, cant remember the price exactly, defo under 30 euro. Most flooring providers have some kind of underlay designed to tackle heat loss.

Heat rises, so best tackle heat loss from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

items wrote: »
    Their is a special multi layer foil which has same u value (heat loss resistance) as standard kingspan instillation. The foil is designed to be used where there's not enough space for kingspan, fiber glass etc. Most Builders Suppliers have some of the foil range available, only a few mm thick, its the bee's knee's, expensive all the same.

I've recently put down some new wooded floors upstairs, I got a special felt and foil underlay designed for heat loss, not as good as the above foil but enough to help, avg rooms took two rolls, cant remember the price exactly, defo under 30 euro. Most flooring providers have some kind of underlay designed to tackle heat loss.

Heat rises, so best tackle heat loss from above.
    That multi-foil insulation has been pretty comprehensively discredited in recent times.
    It has no agrement cert and many of the claims made about it have been proven to be dubious at the least.

thanks everybody ....

thats brilliant . yes , im aware that most loss is through the roof and it will be tackled . walking around the house at the moment looking at bare concrete floors at the moment is making me feel colder !! he,he ... more than anything , it will be peace of mind knowing what will be beneath our wooden floors / carpets etc ... ill look into al options , thanks again , hope you all have a nice warm christmas ;-)

what would you suggest CJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

cnocbui wrote: »
    3mm cork is what I used. I think it was about a meter wide and came in a roll. Still have most of a roll left.
    Hi cnocbui. Where did you get this stuff? any link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That multi-foil insulation has been pretty comprehensively discredited in recent times.
    It has no agrement cert and many of the claims made about it have been proven to be dubious at the least.

Depends on manufacture, foil I've seen installed met building standards. Also the building it was used in was eligible for grant under SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland).

Sure their may be some copying brands, not all are dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are various options for floating floors, For carpet the thickest rubber underlay you can get will work well, and there is also compressed foam.
    For wooden floors the white PE foam is OK and cheap, Cork matting as has been discussed is also good, Have you got UFH? If so the cork matting might be the best type as it allows heat to pass through more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Hi cnocbui. Where did you get this stuff? any link?

I got it, along with cork tiles, from a company called Naturestyle, but their website is no longer there, but you could try http://www.osmo.ie as their pdf mentions 2mm cork roll, which come to think of it might be the same thickness. It must have been the tiles that were 3mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks cnocbui.

Advertisement