Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can you be done for speed if the guard is hiding?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

i heard that the gardi can't clock you for speeding if they are hidden or in an unmarked car, is it true? for example i seen them reversed inbetween 2 parked vans so they couldn't be seen? thats why there are signs up if there are speed cameras ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

clarke1991 wrote: »
    i heard that the gardi can't clock you for speeding if they are hidden or in an unmarked car, is it true? for example i seen them reversed inbetween 2 parked vans so they couldn't be seen? thats why there are signs up if there are speed cameras ahead?

Of course you can. If you are speeding you are SPEEDING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Rackstar wrote: »
    Of course you can. If you are speeding you are SPEEDING!

That wasn't the question..

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Yes you can be done. And maybe they hide so they can catch more people speeding. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭St James

if you can see them, or it you are warned, then they can't catch you!

they will catch you by the lowest means.

On the Cork/Mallow Road, they are sometimes under one of the flyovers, with the boot of the car raised, so that you can't see the blue lights!

On the Mallow/Cork road, they are sometimes hidden by one of the huge road signs as you leave Mallow.

its a money raking scheme, not a road safety measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The biggest question is if the Garda was hiding on private property.

The Garda in question would be collecting evidence while tresspassing which IMO would inadmissible in court. (Unless the Garda got prior consent from the land owner I guess).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If they didn't hide or put advance signs up they would catch no one, helloooo, you've had your fun...now pay up:D

SV wrote: »
    That wasn't the question..

The OP asked if you could be done for speeding if the Gardai are hiding or in an unmarked car. So how isn't it the question which I've answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Only if he's wearing his hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

The OP asked if you could be done for speeding if the Gardai are hiding or in an unmarked car. So how isn't it the question which I've answered?

He asked can you be DONE for it, not "Am I speeding if the Garda is hiding"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if your caught speeding then your caught speeding, whats the problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I admire your effort ;)

I've no idea what legal standing the OP has on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

robbie_998 wrote: »

Read the entire thread. You will figure it out.

robbie_998 wrote: »

80euro and 2points is a problem.
    Any way to get out of it is appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Are you saying that they can't do you if they're hidden/unmarked? Are you definite about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

80euro and 2points is a problem.
    Any way to get out of it is appreciated.

thats why you shouldnt speed :D

and well for an unmarked car, yes they can clock you

hiding behind a bush or whatever they can still have something set up to catch you somewhere, e.g coming up to heuston station

-Chris- wrote: »
    Are you saying that they can't do you if they're hidden/unmarked? Are you definite about that?

No I know you can be done for it even if they are hiding but I'm saying that's not what the OP was asking.

That makes no sense. You are NOT going to be done for speeding by a hiding guard if you aren't speeding?

I was saying if you are speeding and caught speeding by a hiding guard you can be done for speeding.

No I know you can be done for it even if they are hiding but I'm saying that's not what the OP was asking.

You might want to look at the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did he have his hat on ?

• Advertisement

That makes no sense. You are NOT going to be done for speeding by a hiding guard if you aren't speeding?

I was saying if you are speeding and caught speeding by a hiding guard you can be done for speeding.
    Well if that's what you were saying the first time then fair enough, it doesn't come across as that though.

You might want to look at the thread title?

I was then talking about what you were saying, not what the OP asked.
    Though I can see how that got confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The mind boggles at the questions asked in here sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Holy god how many times must we answer the same questions:p

Yes, the Garda can prosecute you for speeding if hes hidding, not wearing his hat and standing in Mrs Murphys flower bed.

He does NOT have to stop you. Its called a non intercept ticket. However, its not something we practice regularly, in fact I have never done it. The "normal" procedure is to stop the driver and inform them they have been detected speeding. In saying that though.......some Gardaí are less"normal" that others:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

yes of course you can be done for speeding, in much the same way as a garda waiting outside a bank for the thieves to come out don't need to announce their presence in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

EPM wrote: »
    The mind boggles at the questions asked in here sometimes

+1

They must be giving out licenses with lucky bags...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Fishtits wrote: »
    +1

They must be giving out licenses with lucky bags...:rolleyes:
    giving out licences with lucky bags? i didn't say i was speeding.... its just something i heard... smartass....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread is pointless at this stage imho, and only serves to create a situation where infractions will need to be given.

@all - for future reference, lay off the personal/snide comments please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement