Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustainable Energy at CIT

Options
  • 18-12-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

I know the course is only in its second year but I'm hoping that maybe i can pick up some info

whats the course like as opposed to doing Mech.Eng or Elec.Engin in a different uni or it.

any info on the course in general that isnt the usually crap you get in the prospectus.

i know that its a level 8 course but its from an IT will that be looked down on by possible employers?

i could just go to UL and study Mech.Eng as its only around the corner from my house but i wouldnt get the full college experience, or would i?

where would be the best place to live if i was to go to CIT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

RHunce wrote: »
    I know the course is only in its second year but I'm hoping that maybe i can pick up some info

whats the course like as opposed to doing Mech.Eng or Elec.Engin in a different uni or it.

any info on the course in general that isnt the usually crap you get in the prospectus.

i know that its a level 8 course but its from an IT will that be looked down on by possible employers?

i could just go to UL and study Mech.Eng as its only around the corner from my house but i wouldnt get the full college experience, or would i?

hi RHunce, iam an elec eng student at cit, the elec eng staff are great, from what one of the lectures said a fue weeks back, its a good course, sorry i cant give any info on the working of the course, but going on my experience of the department, you would have good lectures. if you are thinking of doing electrical engineering i cant recommend cit enough. plus CIT is the only pure power engineering course in the country. and if you need convening, the ESB are funding some of the places in second year this year, from what ive heard the college took in close to 50 electricians this year. the electrical courses in other colleges are a mix of electrical and electronic engineering, just worth bearing in mind. if you want more info on elec eng pm me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kinkylukinbitch

Heya,dnt know much about de course sustainable energy but my housemate and a gud few lads i kno are doing it... they get lots of assignments and reports. its suppose to be a tough enough course & CAD s a rli important subject dont kno exactly wt t entails but just said id giv ya a little insight. however wit all the projects and reports,he had vry little exams @ xmas..:mad:hope that helps,:) oooh nd de nearest place to stay for CIT s Parchment Square,its exactly a 3 min walk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Hiya, in final yr mech eng, we had the option of transferring after 3rd yr(ord degree) and a lot of lads did it. A lot of those lads are now regretting it. The guy who runs the course is terribly disorganised. I know there was a lot of trouble with the work placement. Also in the final yr you only have 2 sustainable modules which are open to anyone.

Saying this a lot of the guys will have jobs immediately after college because of their work placement. The degree from an IT makes absolutely no difference btw.

If it was me, honestly, I would just do mech eng. Its much more broad and you could just do a masters in sustainable afterwards.
    Hope that helps a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

i'm in second year of sustainable energy, the course is very similar to mech eng with only one or two of the modules (out of 6) being focused on sustainable. as someone said above there is alot of projects to do all the time and the organisation (lecturers, timetables, elective modules) is fairly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

i'm in second year of sustainable energy, the course is very similar to mech eng with only one or two of the modules (out of 6) being focused on sustainable. as someone said above there is alot of projects to do all the time and the organisation (lecturers, timetables, elective modules) is fairly bad.

so in saying that would you recommend mech.eng or sus.energy? if its mech.eng it may be UL i'll go to, or just aeronautical eng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

i would imagine (and hope) there would be good job oppertunities goin from it, but to be honest i would pick mech eng if i had my choice over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

RHunce wrote: »

third year mech eng,
    level 8 from IT in engineering is better if anything.
    Mech eng from CIT is a well established course with some excellent lecturers and reputation with employers. If it was me I wouldnt go into a newly founded course for the reasons mentioned by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 massey165

yhinkin of doin this course but cant choose between this and energy engineering in gmit
    help

Advertisement