Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best rhythm guitarist of all time

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

who do you think is the best rhythm player of all time this is to make for the fact that every "best guitarist" yoke is always full of lead players
    **** steve vai and slash

for me it would have to be joe strummer not a technically gifted player left hnder who played right handed
    he had a brilliant rhythm and a ferocious attack london calling and complete control are good examples-pure class

the boss is class too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Edge :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubdoyle

In My Opinion Pete Townshend is the Best 'Rhythm' Guitarist I have Seen or Heard
    His Ability to Move in and out of Different Rhythm Patterns Without dropping a Beat is Unbeliveable

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

malcolm young

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Townshend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Johnny Marr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Jimi Hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

James Hetfield. His rythms are crazy, and he sings over them too.

Whitest boy alive - since when was Jimmy a rythm guitarist? He was a lead player, but played rythmic parts sometimes when singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Steve Cropper

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

malcom young is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Wilko Johnson . He has a beautiful technique.

Not exactly rock, but guitarists such as Nile Rodgers are whar rhythm is about

Finally Bowie has had loads of great lead guitarists (Ronson, Fripp, Belew) but his rhythm guitarist Carlos Alomar is equally amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Whitest boy alive - since when was Jimmy a rythm guitarist? He was a lead player, but played rythmic parts sometimes when singing.

He's the best rhythm guitarist ever, the rhythms he played were crazy and he'd play it different each time. Just because he's lead playing was great too, it's hardly looked upon. MAJOR oversight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

damonjewel wrote: »
    Not exactly rock, but guitarists such as Nile Rodgers are whar rhythm is about
    Yes! I agree completely. elighted someone else brought him up. He's a genius guitarist, songs like "Good Times" and "Thinking Of You" show his immense skill.
    damonjewel wrote:
    Finally Bowie has had loads of great lead guitarists (Ronson, Fripp, Belew) but his rhythm guitarist Carlos Alomar is equally amazing.
    Agian, I totally agree with you. Alomar did some great stuff on "Young Americans", "Station To Station" and "Scary Monsters".

I'd add Catfish Collins from Parliament-Funkadelic. He really keeps the rhythm going, even when the other musicians go off on tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Keith Richards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jimi Hendrix
    +1

One of my favourite rhythm guitarists is Steve Cooney. Sorry I can't find any decent youtube footage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

James Hetfield. His rythms are crazy, and he sings over them too.

Amazing guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

The baldy bloke from Oasis?

Those bar chords are immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

izzy stradlin was pretty solid - not the best, but underrated and worth a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

My favourites would be Josh Homme and Stone Gossard but I don't know anything about guitars so my opinion is invalid really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Rudy Schenker of the Scorpions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭bathroom gurgle

Definitely a toss up between Johnny Marr or Joe Strummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Christy Moore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Brian May,he even made his own guitar when he was 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

I don't think these have been mentioned yet:

Steve Cropper
    Bo Diddley
    Jimmy Nolan
    Curtis Mayfield
    Dave Mustaine
    Tony Iommi
    Nuno Bettencourt (more famous for his lead playing but his rhythm playing is astonishing)
    Edward Van Halen (ditto)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jon Schaffer is pretty awesome

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

I forgot to mention Andy Summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Johnny Marr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Well the way i've taken this, is that the OP was curious of folk who put down those chords/riffs maybe underneath the flamboyance of the lead guitarist. And in that case i'm not going to consider Marr or Hendrix or anything like that. Izzy Stradlin & Josh Homme are close but there was only ever going to be Stone Gossard as number 1 in my books, think he may have been previously mentioned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Well the way i've taken this, is that the OP was curious of folk who put down those chords/riffs maybe underneath the flamboyance of the lead guitarist. And in that case i'm not going to consider Marr or Hendrix or anything like that. Izzy Stradlin & Josh Homme are close but there was only ever going to be Stone Gossard as number 1 in my books, think he may have been previously mentioned too.

yes that was what i meant strictly rhythm guys please not lead players who dabble in rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

James Hetfields rhythm is epic.....also Dave Mustaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Keith Richards +1

Advertisement