Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first paid job

• 18-12-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭

Just got my first paid job next Sunday photographing for Santa :D
    Very excited and understandably a bit nervous as I haven't been doing photography for long...I'm glad now I did a course in it.

So my question(s) is? What were your 1st paid job? How did you get on? Any probs? Anything you'd have done differently/ and most importantly..any tips? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Make sure you're insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Rb wrote: »
    Wot he said, plus a back up body and flash as well as spare batteries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Mine was when I was 17 (last year) taking photos at a prize giving ceremony at a local road race,All went well..Wasn't insured though,Wasn't this year either...Not worth it for one event a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Rb wrote: »

well I'm only doing this for a favour for a mate's business?
    all joking aside what kind of insurance are you talking about? camera gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Berkut wrote: »
    well I'm only doing this for a favour for a mate's business?
    all joking aside what kind of insurance are you talking about? camera gear?

AFAIK they're talking about PL(Public liability) and something to do with if you delete images by accident and get sued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My 1st paid job = no, hasn't happened yet ! Everything I've done so far for the public has been for charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Well done for being considered and good luck with it.

I assume you work for a few hours and you get paid at an agreed rate so your mate is technically employing you. Thus he ends up with ownership of the resulting images?

If so, can I offer an opinion on the Public Liability insurance (but it's only an opinion and people can feel free to correct me). As it is a paid gig for a mate's business, then if he/she is employing you to do the shoot then his business public liability could/should suffice. Do verify this (again only an opinion being offered) but it is an angle on it which may work to your favour as a one off.

Good luck again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rig

My first paid job ,believe it or not was photographing for a gay fetish club..looking back I prob would have preferred a santa job!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

all the best berkut let us know how the shoot went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Mine was in a club in town at a hiphop party

50 euro for 1.5hrs of snappin happy people! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Mine was for a chairlift company.

I very much doubt the OP is going to run out and get public liability insurance for one job, which he's doing for a mate... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Mine was a Polo match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tiptop

dont some of you guys ever get tired of saying " get insurance" bloody boring if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

tiptop wrote: »
    dont some of you guys ever get tired of saying " get insurance" bloody boring if you ask me

Dude, lose the attitude it's not constructive. - mod warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tiptop

Good to see we have Stalin like MODS you know what you can do with your warning Hey Dude:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mod note: holiday issued for tiptop.

Constructive and friendly posting always welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

tiptop wrote: »

Funnily I was in a public park today shooting freelance and was approached by a council official.

Usual chit chat and during it he advised that I should really have Public Liability insurance in place before shooting commercially - he was not asking had I got it and would not have stopped me shooting the event.

However, I carry a copy of my policy most of the time and was happy to show him that I was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

My first real one was for a club that was launching a website after being refurbished. Took some interior shots which they liked and I was asked to come back for the opening night, which was a good expererince as it threw me into the deep end and i had to learn how to swim. Dealing with drunk people can be very tiring!

You should be fine, well unless what they say about Irelands underage drinking problem is true. ;)

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My first was actually a wedding, tiny tiny amount but all I was interested in getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I have a kind of an on topic question about PL insurance etc... I recently tried to get a quote to insure my camera gear and was told unless I'm actually getting paid to take photo's that I should look to get my gear covered under my home insurance. So what about PL, is this the same issue for someone like me? If i'm not getting paid to take photo's but I'm out and about in a public place, do I need to have PL? It's a very confusing topic for me so apologies if I'm thread hijacking.

p.s. I have not been paid to take photo's yet but people have been generous enough to get me a bottle of wine or vouchers as a thank you, which is always appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well bad news..the original photographer was able to rearrange whatever he was doing and is now doing the gig..
    I don't mind really as I've been working the past few weekends and really am glad of the break..:D
    So I'm still waiting on my first paid job and it'll prob be awhile yet as it's really only at the hobby stage :)
    I'd prob open the same titled thread in about a year's time :D

Advertisement