Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to pull out of the euro?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour today, from a source that would have a bit of insider info, that by the end of 2010 Ireland will pull out of the Euro.....

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Nein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

If Ireland left the Euro it would spook investors to an extent that we might never recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! (not often I use that)

No chance, David McWilliams is spreading lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

So it's not worth putting 50euro on at 1000-1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Dúirt bean lion go n-dúirt bean leí
    a rumour, eh?
    *yawns*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I heard a rumour today, from a source that would have a bit of insider info, that by the end of 2010 Ireland will pull out of the Euro.....

Thoughts?

You can be still drunk the next day from the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The cost of reinstating the PUNT would be enough to stop this happining, whoever is whispering in your ear is having a laugh at your expense:o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You'd have to offer me far better odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Find out what currency they will pay out with, if your bet wins !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I heard a rumour today, a drunk guy in the pub, that by the end of 2010 Ireland will pull out of the Euro.....

Thoughts?

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Someone better tell the guys at the Mint - it takes a fair amount of time to run off enough coins and bank notes for a state, not to mention plan the removal of the old notes/introduce the new ones etc. etc.

Changing the currency though isn't going to alter the math of the state's budgetary finances (it'll still look horrible) not to mention the post-housing bubble mess (NAMA won't go away).

Still, in the midst of a recession, why wouldn't we expose 40%+ of the state's exports to currency risk in order to keep our Eurosceptics happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I do not believe that Ireland wants to pull out of the Euro but it should be kicked out of the Euro and so should Greece, Spain, Portugal and other countries who can't manage their finances properly. Countries like this are a threat to the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There is no bookmaker offering such a price, and even if there was they wouldn't be willing to run up a €50K liability on such a market (where the only money would be speculative fivers and insider info).

Nesf, 1000/1 would be massive value if it were offered and it would be greedy to look for more. 50/1-100/1 is probably a neutral price,( in other words theres a very remote 1%/2% chance of it happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Youd want to make your bet with a German betting shop, and youd need far, far, far better odds. A euro pullout would be time to get get your shotgun and head for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

SLUSK wrote: »
    I do not believe that Ireland wants to pull out of the Euro but it should be kicked out of the Euro and so should Greece, Spain, Portugal and other countries who can't manage their finances properly. Countries like this are a threat to the Euro.

Ireland can't be kicked out. There is no mechanism to do so. The ECB can't even stop non-eurozone countries using the euro as their currency, so how exactly could we be kicked out?

And there is a huge, practical issue that stops us leaving the Euro. Everyone knows that the first thing that would happen to the theoretical Punt Nua, is that it would be sharply devalued. Therefore, no-one will willingly give their euros over to be exchanged for soon-to-be-worthless Punt Nuas. Every citizen with liquid savings would move their money offshore so fast it would make your head spin, and the Irish banks would lose their deposit base instantly, leaving the state on the hook for 10s of billions. Nevermind the poor impression if would give to outside observers, and the fact that our debt would be in Euros, and we would have to pay it off with devalued currency.

If Ireland were ever to leave the Euro, it would have to be done when times are good, and the Punt could reasonably be expected to hold value against the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

imme wrote: »
    Dúirt bean lion go n-dúirt bean leí
    a rumour, eh?
    *yawns*

Not just a rumour. But a rumour from an inside source.

Solid Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

ireland prob should use the brit pound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    the first thing that would happen to the theoretical Punt Nua, is that it would be sharply devalued.
    The second thing would be interest rates shooting back up to 10%-15%.
    (Ah, remember the 80s)

The third thing would be a mass exodus of everybody with any skills or qualifications.
    (Ah, remember the 80s)

Of course, the multinationals would be back to manufacturing here within a couple of years. We would have a semi-skilled semi-educated workforce paid in a currency thats barely worth the paper its printed on. We could compete with China again.
    (Ah, remember the... never mind, you get it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Thoughts?

Well as an Insider in the ECB I can debunk the rumor, There is not way Ireland will leave the EURO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

sold wrote: »
    Well as an Insider in the ECB I can debunk the rumor, There is not way Ireland will leave the EURO.

Unless we want to go back to something akin to the stone age.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ireland prob should use the brit pound

like we used to? sure while we at at it ask the queen to take us back right

i better learn thatching :cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Unless we want to go back to something akin to the stone age.:rolleyes:

actually theres one reason i would like to see euro being ditched

watching David Mc Williams watch in horror as "his idea" leads to the collapse of the country, but then again that might be too high a price to pay for showing what a fraud he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I feel embarrassed now, I never thought he'd start this thread.

Note to self, don't troll people in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If we left the Euro we wouldn't be going back to punt, we'd probably adopt the dollar or sterling (for stability and ease of transition). This was discussed in 2000 by economists and banks, and a contingency plan does exist somewhere in the bowels of BOI.

3DataModem wrote: »
    If we left the Euro we wouldn't be going back to punt, we'd probably adopt the dollar or sterling (for stability and ease of transition). This was discussed in 2000 by economists and banks, and a contingency plan does exist somewhere in the bowels of BOI.

why?

the eurozone is our largest export destination

followed by US and then UK in third

talk about shooting oneself in foot

3DataModem wrote: »

The Bank of Ireland? Don't you mean the Central bank? You just lost the right to comment on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I thought the UK was where we exported to most.

We export the most to the euro zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    actually theres one reason i would like to see euro being ditched

watching David Mc Williams watch in horror as "his idea" leads to the collapse of the country, but then again that might be too high a price to pay for showing what a fraud he is

Any publicity is good publicity for that joke of a popstar economist.
    Wouldnt surprise me if Max Clifford was is agent.

stringbox wrote: »
    I thought the UK was where we exported to most.

nope

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/botmaintrpartners.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Think its mostly multinationals though, indigenous exports would be more the UK.

People too busy building houses for the last 5/6 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement