Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-British & Irish Lion Thomas comes out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Well done for him, one of the greatest rugby players ever.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Fair play to him. This trend of pro-sportsmen coming out is one that has my seal of approval :D Long may it last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Could it not have been one of the good-looking ones?

Seriously, though, fair play that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

Coming out in sport seems, now, to be something like coming out as an alcoholic in the 1990's. It ended up that to come out as an alcoholic was de rigueur for many actors and "personalities" and was a great way for them to attract publicity for an often flagging career.

I actually don't care if Donal Og or Gareth Thomas is gay, or serial solitary masturbators, or straight, or anything else for that matter. It's great for all of us to be whatever it is we are, and lets hope we don't sensationalise what is a normal thing.

Perhaps that's why I find it distasteful. If he was straight there is no story for the press. That he is gay turns it into a story. When it's no longer a story, then we know it will be accepted by everyone as normal to be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jamijary

Fair play to him!

It is important in my opinion that the press make a big deal about it. As his and other people 'coming out' is positive for those who are struggling especially young people, It's a tough world out there and seeing the likes of Thomas taking that step gives others hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

auerillo wrote: »
    Coming out in sport seems, now, to be something like coming out as an alcoholic in the 1990's. It ended up that to come out as an alcoholic was de rigueur for many actors and "personalities" and was a great way for them to attract publicity for an often flagging career.

I actually don't care if Donal Og or Gareth Thomas is gay, or serial solitary masturbators, or straight, or anything else for that matter. It's great for all of us to be whatever it is we are, and lets hope we don't sensationalise what is a normal thing.

...being gay is similar to being an alcoholic or a "serial solitary masturbatory".. how, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

auerillo wrote: »

Perhaps that's why I find it distasteful. If he was straight there is no story for the press. That he is gay turns it into a story. When it's no longer a story, then we know it will be accepted by everyone as normal to be gay.

How incredible cynical. Did you even read the article? He recounts how his marriage collapsed and he felt suicidal. I don't think this was for publicity (which is often the cry from the uninformed) he had no book deal in the offing, he wont be getting any more advertising contracts on the back of this revelation. The man should be thanked not derided for talking so openingly about suicide and his issues with his sexuality. Given the shear number of fans he has, the welsh team has, and rugby in general has, I'm sure it will help allot of people come to terms with their own personal demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's not really the same as Donal Og though is it? I can't help but think of his poor wife, he knew when he was a teenager and he sill got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Well done Gareth I hope all are supportive of your decision. A high profile sportsman can only be good for all still unable to open the closet door

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

It's easy to say "oh but this shouldn't be news, who cares" but that's really missing the point. It IS news, and it's great news. We can't just skip ahead to the time where it's completely normal and nobody blinks an eyelid. This is the beginning (including Donal Óg) of sports people coming out and we should celebrate it. Rolling our eyes and saying "are we not there yet?" is not going to bring acceptance any faster. An entire society changing will always be slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Could it not have been one of the good-looking ones?

Seriously, though, fair play that man.

Funny to contrast the responses to this comment with the responses to the comments about Diane Savino's image in that other thread.

I think your comments are perfectly fine btw TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Funny to contrast the responses to this comment with the responses to the comments about Diane Savino's image in that other thread.

I think your comments are perfectly fine btw TB.

Yeah noticed that too ;)

Here is short interview with Gareth Thomas on BBC sport page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/default.stm

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I thinks he is hunky and thank God it was one of the talented one's who came out. In fact interesting that he and Donal Og both are top of their game!

So much for gays being crap at sport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I think you need to look at the users history to determine if a comment was lighted hearted or if it was a derogative comment which fitted a trend demonstrated in the past. I doubt anyone thinks Tricity Bendix comment was an attempt to undermine the thread's message, the same cannot be said for what happened on the Diane Savino thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Boston wrote:
    I doubt anyone thinks Tricity Bendix comment was an attempt to undermine the thread's message, the same cannot be said for what happened on the Diane Savino thread.

Actually, I think he's a shallow, superficial bitch and love him for it. I was thanking him for finally saying what we were all thinking. When Jake Gyllenhaal comes out, then I'll be interested. Until then it's, like, tote whatevs, ya know?

victory3 wrote: »
    It's not really the same as Donal Og though is it? I can't help but think of his poor wife, he knew when he was a teenager and he sill got married.

Yea I know that he did decieve her, but having read his account of how much he loved her and how he went to chuch every week asking God to change him it makes his story all the more real. So much for those who say gays can be changed here is a guy whose sport/life could not have been more straight he had met a woman he really loved and still he couldn't change who he was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Boston wrote: »
    I think you need to look at the users history to determine if a comment was lighted hearted or if it was a derogative comment which fitted a trend demonstrated in the past. I doubt anyone thinks Tricity Bendix comment was an attempt to undermine the thread's message, the same cannot be said for what happened on the Diane Savino thread.

Yeah you might be right.

Advertisement