Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Puskas Award - Goal of 2009

• 19-12-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Some excellent goals, who would be your winner?

Setting up a poll........

For me I just loved Grafite's against Munich. Sheer class.

Goal of 2009 69 votes

Adebayor
    0% 0 votes
    Atar
    1% 1 vote
    Essien
    11% 8 votes
    Grafite
    15% 11 votes
    Iniesta
    23% 16 votes
    Landin
    1% 1 vote
    Mphela
    2% 2 votes
    Nilmar
    1% 1 vote
    Ronaldo
    23% 16 votes
    Torres
    18% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Essien's for me.

Taking into account the fact he was able to excecute that on his weaker side, along with the importance of the game swings it in his favour ahead of Atar's strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Where is Figueroa?!?!

Morzadec wrote: »
    Where is Figueroa?!?!

At home I'd imagine :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I love all of them. I voted for Essien, next would be Atar, then Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Atar for me, christ what a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Grafite every day of the week tbh. Really unusual goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

eZe^ wrote: »
    Grafite every day of the week tbh. Really unusual goal.

I love this goal, but the defending is just so awful, I'm not sure whether this should be taken into account...

Ronaldo's one is quite ridiculously good I have to say, and I like Landin (who is he?) as it's such a bizarre finish.

But if Figueroa was on the list it'd be a no contest imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Torres for me, remember watching that game live and just being amazed by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ronaldo.

I might be biased, but i literally had my breath taken away by that goal. I thought it was safe to have a sip of my beer as surely Cristiano wouldnt have a go from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ronaldo.

I might be biased, but i literally had my breath taken away by that goal. I thought it was safe to have a sip of my beer as surely Cristiano wouldnt have a go from there...

+1

The distance he was out, even the cameraman wasnt expecting it as they thought theyd get a nice zoom in, then he started winding up for shot! The goalie was well placed, and even as tall as he was, couldnt reach it. The fact it kept rising aswell maked it look even sweeter, but watching it live was probably the clincher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1. Essien
    2. Atar
    3. Landin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All exceptional goals but its between Grafite and Nilmar for me.

The rest are expectional moments of technique and chance, but these two showed a little more of what the two players are capable of.

I'd have to give it to Nilmar, nothing was left to chance although I love the boldness of Grafite's backheel, but that so easily could have went wrong, imo

All worthy of nomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Props to adding a poll for all 10, i got linked to the same top ten goals earlier but the poll only had 5 premiership options in it ... Confused cat was confused with the commercial propaganda >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

d22ontour wrote: »
    Props to adding a poll for all 10, i got linked to the same top ten goals earlier but the poll only had 5 premiership options in it ... Confused cat was confused with the commercial propaganda >_>

Which goals are suppose to be listed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

u should do a poll for the best celebration...... id be torn between jimmy bullard and adebayor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

All of those listed here but i was i listed to : http://www.asylum.co.uk/2009/12/18/fifas-goal-of-the-year-award/

Ya see the fail that actually removes 50% of the goals ???

:D

As i said props for linking the whole link , but how many sheep voted for ... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Of those listed I'd say Ronaldo's.

But, by far my favourite goal of the year was the Ronaldo goal v Arsenal. That counter attack was just sublime. I loved watching it on the Sky adverts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Between Landin, Ronaldo and Nilmar for me.

As well as Figueroa, missing out on this beauty from Di Maria the other night :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Goal selection went up ages ago so figeroa and di maria weren't ommited like just weren't in time for voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nilmars was simply amazing, its quite similar to Grafite's but better in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Between Landin, Ronaldo and Nilmar for me.

As well as Figueroa, missing out on this beauty from Di Maria the other night :eek:

Pfft

:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Has to be Essien for me, a freakishly amazing goal. Any footballer could try that a 100 times and I don't think they'd hit it that perfectly (I'm not counting the importance as a factor)

I honestly think it will be a good while until I see a goal as good as that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Any footballer could try that a 100 times and I don't think they'd hit it that perfectly (I'm not counting the importance as a factor)

Tell that to Tony Yeboah and he'll spit in your face.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Tell that to Tony Yeboah and he'll spit in your face.
    I'm sure he'd be a bit more of a gentleman about it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nilmar for me, great control and excellent finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Was going to go for Grafite or Nilmar, but loved Landin's because it was so audacious it actually made me laugh. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

From the list I think Nilmar deserves but it has to be Grafite just for the sheer spectacle of the goal. He's just taking the piss at 4-1 up.

Biggest ommision from the list though is this stunner from Mascara in the Sicilian derby

If you think that's a fluke

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Atar > Landin > Nilmar

I think we know it'll be one of the PL three that gets it here though (Adebayor excluded because no Arsenal fans will vote for his now and Xavi has gone for Landin) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Grafite by a long way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Has to be Essien for me, a freakishly amazing goal. Any footballer could try that a 100 times and I don't think they'd hit it that perfectly (I'm not counting the importance as a factor)

I honestly think it will be a good while until I see a goal as good as that.

I actually disagree, I've seen two or three goals just as good, if not better than the Essien volley. I'm not trying to take away from it, as it's absolutely flawless technique, but goals like that aren't 1 in a million like the Grafite goal (the only one like it that comes to mind is THAT Ibrahimovic goal at Ajax).

eg - This goal was scored this season, and imo is better than Essiens, it is like a carbon copy of Medieta's volley vs Barca years ago. The way he was running into the box, and anticipated the flight of the ball perfectly by altering is his speed and almost reversing so that his foot could make connection with the ball at the perfect moment, his body technique, everything was so calculated.

Build up starts at the 20 second mark.

Obviously these goals and the Figueroa goal have been left out as they are this season, and all the goals in that seem to be from the 2008/2009 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ronaldo followed by Grafite.

Torres' goal really shouldn't be there. It is a very good goal but it isn't in the same class as the other ones in there, I'd probably say the same for Iniesta's one, they're not even close, and the fact that Torres' has 6 votes in this thread says too much about the deludedness of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Nilmar's is outstanding, like Best.

And btw, Torres's goal is outstanding. Unreal technique, just unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Where the **** is Gourcuff's?

Johner wrote: »
    Where the **** is Gourcuff's?

This. By far the best goal of the year imo.

Matter of fact, he has two contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Some great goals there. Laudins reminds me of Roberts overhead backheel goal a few years ago, and Nilmars is a great goal. But using the "who would Romario choose" formula, I'll go with Grafite. Backheeled goals after beating a load of players are great :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Archimedes wrote: »
    This. By far the best goal of the year imo.

Matter of fact, he has two contenders.

+1

Ronaldo won.

Congrats ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I voted for Ronaldo but it was close. I agree with ez about Grafite' goal, was all instinct. Nilmar's too...

Bit surprised with Ronaldo winning it, there were at least 3 I would definatly have ahead of his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Don't know why Grafite is winning this. He did well to get past the first player but after that he could easily have scored. Instead he wasn't clinical enough so he decided to get around the keeper - again he did very well. Amazing skill, bad decision making.

Then he could have shot into an open goal again but took another touch, a bad touch and he lost control so he decided to back-heel. It went one mile an hour and how that defender didn't stop it I will never know.

Great technique to get around the couple of players but lucky finish. The fact it was a back-heel is irrelevant - if it was with power I might be impressed.

It was a good goal to watch I admit that but defending is shocking.

Nilmar's is much much better gets round four players I think and finishes really well.

Ronaldo's is amazing too especially giving the importance and it came out of nowhere in a tie United would have lost otherwise. They needed something special and they got it.

Nilmar got my vote though.

• Advertisement

browner85 wrote: »
    u should do a poll for the best celebration...... id be torn between jimmy bullard and adebayor...

article-1099460-02DCEB50000005DC-439_468x613.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DSB wrote: »
    Ronaldo followed by Grafite.

Torres' goal really shouldn't be there. It is a very good goal but it isn't in the same class as the other ones in there, I'd probably say the same for Iniesta's one, they're not even close, and the fact that Torres' has 6 votes in this thread says too much about the deludedness of Liverpool fans.

Are you joking about Torres? That goal was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jayz some cracking goals in there alright, all well worthy of a nomination no doubt. Really tough to decide which goal was best, but in my eyes Atar wins it, the fact that he timed it and executed it (directly into the top corner) perfectly at the speed it was going is hard enough to do with a normal stike/volley, but he managed to go one better with his back to goal producing an overhead. Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Atar

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Landin's because of the weirdness. It took three camera angles to figure out what he'd done. A genuinely funny goal too.

Advertisement