Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet, empty places about the town?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 2:08am

Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone would happen to know of any small, quiet places about the town, where you can have privacy, but also a bit of room (to park a car).

I know, so far, that sounds really perverse, but I'm doing some film-making at the moment, and need a small quiet place like that. I'd be there about 6pm til about 11pm for few nights, and would like somewhere completely unknown (when people see a camera, they love to ask questions about anything and everything!) and preferably with no security or CCTV (cos then I'd need to ask permission, and it's just hassle and potentially can cost money).

So yeah.. Just thought i'd throw this up to see if anyone knew of anywhere at all that would fit the above description. I don't mind travelling a bit out of the town, but not too far.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

What town?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Pretty sure KKV is from Drogheda.. can't help with a location though.

Sorry, yeah, I'm in Drogheda. Must add that to my profile location.

There's a small car park off the road on the Staleen (Donore) to Slane road. It's not frequented by any 'boy racers' as there is actually no houses in the vicinity. There is a walkway to the boyne river, basically you park about 20 yards from the Boyne. Totally isolated and you wouldn't get any hassle
    You also got further up the road the Newgrange Lodge. You can park there and walk across the road to the Interpretative centre, if you've never been there, there is a fantastic area around the back of it, which resembles standing stones and pinic area, no cameras and people just take their dog there for a stroll once in a blue moon.

You also got Dowth, no one there at any hour of the night and the view from the top of Dowth is fantastic.

You got the hill of slane where st.patrick can keep you company. Once again a pretty isolated place in the evening time.

One of the finest places nearby (allbeit) 20 minutes away is Flagstaff, there is a large carpark there and rarely frequented, here's the view from there
    FlagstaffNewry2.jpg

If you can pinpoint the exact kinda location you need I should be able to locate somewhere suitable for you.

Let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

its been a little bit the boar around the boards, and something like this crops up. a little creepy, a little perverse.

how about the garda station after new year's - probably very quiet there and a lot of privacy. let me think - southgate - oh yeah - nobody ever goes there. good place to actually camp out for a few years - the tesco parking lot in bettystown - not drogheda but would be pretty good for a shoot out - nobody would notice.

set the scene man - is it a little die harder or a big lolita, or maybe a smidgen of reservoir dogs. for all i know it may just be too much of tubridy. and if that's the case just go to the d.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

talisker wrote: »
    its been a little bit the boar around the boards, and something like this crops up. a little creepy, a little perverse.

how about the garda station after new year's - probably very quiet there and a lot of privacy. let me think - southgate - oh yeah - nobody ever goes there. good place to actually camp out for a few years - the tesco parking lot in bettystown - not drogheda but would be pretty good for a shoot out - nobody would notice.

set the scene man - is it a little die harder or a big lolita, or maybe a smidgen of reservoir dogs. for all i know it may just be too much of tubridy. and if that's the case just go to the d.

Unless you have something worthwhile to say, please refrain from further posts in this thread please.

In tuition, thats a fantastic post, thanks.

I'll mooch about and check out as many of them as i can, and see what works best, or what is easy to find and so forth.

I don't think it's really gonna make much difference, but the characters will be getting chased by someone, they'll get into their car and get away from him (it's not supposed to be set in a town, more like a middle-of-nowhere type thing) and will find this area to hide away from the guy after them. They'll stay in this spot for a few minutes, gathering their thoughts or whatever, before having to leave the car and make a run for it.

That's a close enough, though admittedly vague, idea of whats supposed to be happening. Just having trouble finding a place where we can park a car, have a little space outside it and still have the place look desserted (whilst avoiding paying money). I live in Drogheda, but I rarely ever venture out of the town itself (i rarely ever venture into it, either, though).

Judging on what you said I think the area I described first would be great.

There is a lane way nearby which you could use for the chasing scene, then have him jump into the car and make his way to the car lay-by come parking area which is nearby - then you could shoot those in pursuit entering the parking area and he jumps out and runs to his right into an area which is covered my ditches (there is actually a walking route there) but you'd think he was running into ditches, so it might come across as being running for survival at all costs.

If you wanted to continue the scene of him running you could make your way back to the interpretative centre area where you can actually walk down a hill onto the bridge which crosses over the river towards Newgrange. At that point then you could have him stop and focus on whats happening and perhaps even end your scene there and move on..think people would get the gist that he is willing to risk his life to evade his pursuers.

If you didnt want to risk using that area (although I see no problem whatsoever) opposite the road is a gaa park next to that is a gate into a field, could have him scaling the gate and running thru the field.

Anyway if you need anything else just let me know

Thanks a lot again In tuition.

I appreciate all the help you're giving me here. There's a few of us involved in this, and we're currently just working on places at the moment (it's all very amateur) so I'll take note of the places you mentioned and we'll take a mooch during the week some time hopefully (though it may be after christmas, judging by the way things are going :( ).

Again, you've been fantastically helpful. Thanks a lot! :)

Advertisement