Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true jobs are hard to find in January?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm in Oz since late October and the long and short of it is, is that I have to find a job in January or it'll be a flight home for me. Its the last thing in the world I want and so will be going gung-ho to find work.

However, a lot of Irish seem to suggest that there is little to no hiring going on in the month of January. How true is this?

I know its the summer but surely the whole place doesn't shut down. Australia can't operate on just 11 months can it?

I was thinking of heading to Melbourne - I can't drive so some of the regional towns are out. People think I could find work there?

Also what are the chances of getting data entry work if you have no experience? Some of my friends came over before with no experience and got work in it, they said it was boring but well paid - would suit me :) Is it still the same?

Cheers and Merry Christmas :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Well I've been applyin for jobs in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne [I'm actually in Brisbane] and havent gotten ANYTHING! So I'm headin home after NYE

There seems to be a huge crackdown on hiring people on WHV's
    Ive applied to about 35 new jobs per day the last 2 weeks, ones im perfectly qualified for, if not a bit over qualified, and havent had even an interview

Basically, hiring and training = time and money, so they want people who'll be there for the long haul
    Contracts are the best bet if you're qualified, but ive still had no luck

Lots of people are being hired now, to start Jan 1st, so this could be what happens, but also with summer, all the schoolies and students are off, so the competition is unreal

Even for Bar / Hospitality work you need the RSA and usually other food versions, and a minimum of 1 years exp

All you can do is keep applyin and hope for the best

PS Any data entry jobs I saw asked for experience and a very fast typing speed, somewhere up at 80/90!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Connections work here... meet people tell them you are looking for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

suggest that there is little to no hiring going on in the month of January. How true is this?

this is very true unfortunately - January is smack bang in the middle of summer and when all Australians take holidays...the kids are off then too with Summer holidays which plays a big part in it so don't expect too much to be happening - things usually pick up towards the end of Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If you are willing to travel then Perth is worth a go. I've been here on and off for about a year and a half and have never had much trouble finding work. Most people I know don't have much trouble finding work either. It all comes down to what you are willing to do and how hard you look for a job. Wages are generally a little higher over here too. I was in Brisbane for 3 months during the year and myself and my girlfriend really struggled to get work. We ended up coming back tp Perth and we both had jobs within a week or so of coming back. I'm not sure how things will be in January but there was loads of jobs in Saturday's paper and I don't see why it would be any different after xmas. If anything companies would be less likely to hire people in the week coming up to xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Perth seems to be the place. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Perth seems to be the place. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Good choice! What type of work are you looking for? If you are looking for data entry or office work then Integrity seems to be one of the best agencies to register with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Honestly Aido I don't mind as long as I earn a few bob to keep me here.

I know a good bit about computer packages like Word and Excel, Powerpoint etc and a good WPM speed so would like to get something in data entry but I have no experience would that count against me? Would there be basic/entry level data entry stuff going?

I've never worked in a bar/cafe except for one weekend which is something I regret now.

But I have worked in a shop, library and factory.

It would cost me about $700 to get to Perth but I'd have no problem spending the money if I thought there was a good chance to get a job. I know I'd have to get off me arse and look for one, not expecting it to fall into my lap but it seems in some cities/town there's little enough for the WHV. I've only about 2 things I really want to do in Australia so its not like I'd take a job and piss off after 2 weeks.

have a look on seek.com or gumtree. there's usually alot of jobs on those websites. you could try ringing Integrity or Hays and asking them what are your chances or getting work. they will give you a good idea of how hard it will be to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Hi,

I can't believe i'm going to say this but......Canberra might be a good option for you in terms of getting a job. I spent christmas there with gf's family and it certainly seems to be booming. There's lots of construction so maybe service jobs would be more available too.
    Plus there could be more office work seeing as its all pretty much public sector.

Its a bit of a shock though if your moving from Syd/Mlb,lets just say it's a lot quieter.....!!:D

Advertisement