Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of the Irish language on boards.ie

Options

Comments

Equating one of our national languages to a series of squares may be a valid, smart argument to you, but not to "stubborn" old me.
    Overheal wrote: »
    If you saw a series of squares then I should point out, he posted in what I believe was a form of Chinese/Cantonese. Not a series of Squares. Thats what your OS will show you if you are missing the Characters/Symbols for those languages.

And secondly I believe I can get banned from Teach Na nGealt (?) for speaking English so Im not sure what the problem is.
    nd if we letm n im outa here

Yep it's Chinese,
    我认为,如果您张贴一个说法语的论坛的爱尔兰人,并且使用爱尔兰语是您的第一种语言的论据,我认为您会接受一点同情.
    rèn wéi, rú guǒ nín fā bù fǎ yǔ wèi ài ěr lán rén mín lùn tán, bìng shǐ yòng ài ěr lán yǔ shì nín de dì yī yǔ yán dì lùn diǎn, wǒ rèn wéi nín jiāng shōu dào yī diǎn tóng qíng。

into Irish
    I mo thuairimse, más rud é go bhfuil tú ag iar na Fraince fóram cainte do mhuintir na Gaeilge, agus ar úsáid na Gaeilge go bhfuil d'argóint a chéad teanga, Ceapaim go gheobhaidh tú comhbhrón beag.

original english
    think that if you post a French-speaking forum for the Irish people, and use the Irish language is your first language argument, I think that you will receive little sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I thought this summed the whole issue up pretty well:
    ...you feel you're being marginalised whereas majority of the people on this thread seem to be of the opinion that you're marginalising yourself.

Until I read this:
    The reason I state that posting gibberish is silly by the way is because posting gibberish is silly. Equating one of our national languages to a series of squares may be a valid, smart argument to you, but not to "stubborn" old me.

gleannuirce, I'm not sure what those squares looked like to you, but I'd guarantee more people understand them than understand Irish. Lots more people.

And that's the point I guess - loads of people understand Chinese, but not many understand Chinese here. Therefore Chinese is an inappropriate language to post in here.
    It's not a matter of national pride, or policy, or marginalisation. It's a matter of practicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

gleannuirce, I'm not sure what those squares looked like to you, but I'd guarantee more people understand them than understand Irish. Lots more people.

And that's the point I guess - loads of people understand Chinese, but not many understand Chinese here. Therefore Chinese is an inappropriate language to post in here.
    It's not a matter of national pride, or policy, or marginalisation. It's a matter of practicality.
    In defense of the OP, if he didn't have the appropriate fonts installed the browser can just show squares (similar to ⃥).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's a screengrab of the text:
    annoyingx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

banning me for commenting in Irish on a discussion concerning the Irish language in planning matters is oppressive enough behaviour in my opinion.

You seem to be still struggling with the way things work around here, so I'll explain it to you. Each forum on Boards.ie is dedicated to a specific topic. You chose to comment on the use of Irish language in a topic about planning permission in Galway. I quote your comment below:
    oooh threatened by smashey!!! I'm gonna have to really pluck up a load of courage here.

And you would be? Erm..gleannuirce. And you would be? Erm smashey. U want my birth cert or something?

What you did smashey, old bean, was to state that posting in the English language was complusory. Stand by your decision, or change it.

I think it is a bigoted decision.

So, go ahead, gimme something to think about, big boy.

The issue at hand with that post, apart from the utter juvenile manner in which you posted, is that you were (a) posting off topic and (b) arguing with a moderator on thread. Your obsession with the Irish language is clouding your ability to take part in this discussion forum in a rational manner.

In this post, you dig up a thread from five months previous to make what can at best be described a pointless contribution. Do you consciously go around searching for threads that mention the Irish language and then get your spoke in, however irrelevant? It certainly is beginning to appear that way.
    I live in the real world Tom. Real house, Real mortgage, Real job (thankfully) and Real-life gaeltacht Irish speaker. And really don't like patronizing invites to live in the real world.

Again, you appear to be missing my point. It was not an invitation to live in the real world, it was an invitation to live in the Boards.ie world. We have customs and traditions that you really appear to be struggling with. I genuinely think you are going about making your case the wrong way. If you were more coherent, less combative, perhaps people would listen to you more.

You have been offered a number of suggestions in this thread as to how you can make a positive contribution with the Irish language to this site, none of which you appear to be considering seriously. Is it perhaps that you feel you can get your point across better if you just keep kicking up a fuss?

Personally, I have no issues with the Irish language. But like everything, there is a time and a place for it. I firmly believe you need to understand this key concept. You are not doing yourself nor the language any favours here.
    I am sure that some of you realise that boards.ie is a powerful medium in Ireland. I would like to be a small part of it

And as you can see from the posts on this thread, we have no problem with you being part of it. Just remember you are being invited into a community that has it's own rules and regulations and as long as you adhere to them, there will be no problem. Throwing out accusations of bigotry will win you no friends here.
    I don't think I should be banned for no other reason that contributing in Irish..

Again, just to clarify, you were not banned for using the Irish language, you were banned for arguing with a moderator on a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ah, I remember now. :) I gave the OP in that original thread the option of adding an English translation and he was kind enough to do so. No problems there I hear you say. Then, gleannuirce comes along and acuses me of being a bigot which was nice.

So, is this still about you being banned from Construction & Planning in July 2008?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

I will try and reply to the points raised in chronological order:

TV...."moderating posts in the Irish language is a non-runner for most of the moderators here on boards.ie and thus makes it impossible for them to determine if what you are posting obeys the rules of the forum"

I acknowledge the truth contained in that statement. I do not accept that it should override the right to post in Irish. Of course it is possible to post offensive stuff in Irish. Folk who are offended could point out the culprit and warnings issued as per normal.

"insisting out of plain stubbornness to only talk Irish on English speaking fora really is bad manners."

You are going to have to try and get your head around the fact that plain stubbornness is not Irish speakers' motivation for speaking and writing in Irish. I do not know how I can help you in that. I speak English and Irish all the time when I'm in mixed language company in Galway City and people respect that without accusing me of bad manners.

"The rules of boards.ie state English is the language to converse in, if you don't converse in English you break the rules"

Can you point this out on the Terms of Use. I cannot find it.

gandalf (and dolanbaker): "gleannuirce I notice you selectively ignored the bi-lingual option"

I haven't gandalf. I would welcome a translation option. But can you imagine the time it would take to translate this post? And how can a mod be sure that a translation is in fact what it deems to be?

"Most of us were not lucky enough to grow up or live anywhere where Irish was relevant to our everyday lives."

I am sorry about that, and I hope that irish does become relevant to your life if you would so desire.

Saibh: "I would have no objections to someone posting in Irish if they wish to"
    Thank You Saibh, I am sure you are not the only non-Irish speaker with this view.

Dudess:"gleannuirce, do you just want to be able to post in Irish wherever and whenever you feel like it? Do you not see how ridiculous that would be and what a nightmare it would be to moderate and how it would disrupt the flow of a thread?"

Dudess, that would be a silly disruptive way to behave and it would just belittle the irish language. In my correspondence with Tom Dunne I accepted that people shouldn't be allowed to act the maggot and jump in as you describe.

"It's at each moderator's discretion." It certainly is Dudess. Irish speakers are at the mercy of moderators who can ban them simply for contributing in Irish, whether relevant or not. Some mods on this very thread don't even believe that anyone could have Irish as their first language.

TV (again)
    "boards has a place you can talk Irish. They have a place where I can talk computers, books, art or whatever other subject I want to without excluding people with no interest in the subject - if you've no interest you won't visit that section."

The thing is TV that the place where you can talk Irish is where the number one subject is the Irish language itself. I have other, bigger interests. Most gaeltacht folk do.

"Finally, who are you to say that Chinese (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) is any less of a language than Irish?"

The Chinese script appears as squares on my PC. I don't believe that Chinese is any less of a language than Irish; though I doubt you'll see much Irish on a Chinese boards site.

"With all the Polish people living in Ireland now I'd wager there might be credance to the claim there are more native Polish speakers here than Irish speakers. We don't allow Polish on boards.ie either"

Is it a numbers question TV?

Wibbs: "All too often I have found this to be the case sad to say"

Well I am sorry if I appear to be "deliberately obtuse" and stubborn. I have an inherited a language from my parents and local community; a language which was a prime motivator in our struggle for national frredom and independence, and I wish to be able to use it on this site. If that is being obtuse I plead guilty.

Gordon: "gleannuirce: why not set up a thread on (providing you are not banned from) the Teach na nGealt forum campaigning for a global shift in the boards.ie collective's preferred language?"

I am not banned from Teach na nGealt and it is not a bad idea. However I was banned from a different forum for speaking irish. My wish is to be able to contribute, where relevant, on ordinary forums.

Chris: "It's not a matter of national pride, or policy, or marginalisation."

I think it is a matter of policy Chris. it could be policy for boards.ie to allow contributors to post in Irish, provided they kept to the same standards as English language contributors.

Aidan Walsh: "In defense of the OP, if he didn't have the appropriate fonts installed the browser can just show squares (similar to ⃥)."

Thank You Aidan.

Tom Dunne "Your obsession with the Irish language is clouding your ability to take part in this discussion forum in a rational manner."

That's your opinion Tom, and I strongly disagree with it.

"Do you consciously go around searching for threads that mention the Irish language and then get your spoke in, however irrelevant? It certainly is beginning to appear that way"

No, Tom. And you've just dug up one from 18 months ago!

"If you were more coherent, less combative, perhaps people would listen to you more."

I think you are combative enough Tom. And I think I am coherent enough.
    But we are both entitled to our opinion.

smashey: "So, is this still about you being banned from Construction & Planning in July 2008? "

Now smashey tell the whole truth. The thread was about planning permissions in my local gaeltacht area. The planning app was in Irish, the appeal was in irish, the An Bord pleanála decision was in irish, but I wasn't allowed to comment in irish on boards.ie.

So it wasn't a question of me hijacking a thread about jedward's hairstyles with a random irish contribution.

That's not what I want. I wan't to be able to comment on relevant stuff without being banned for contributing in Irish.

Nollaig Shona dhaoibh, agus bhur mhuintir, go léir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Chris: "It's not a matter of national pride, or policy, or marginalisation."

I think it is a matter of policy Chris. it could be policy for boards.ie to allow contributors to post in Irish, provided they kept to the same standards as English language contributors.

That's a long post, and thanks for taking the time to address all our points. I'll just respond to your response to me.

You've omitted the last part of the quote, the part that sums up my (and most other poster's here).
    It's a matter of practicality.

If you can't see this (and by this I mean the issues you cause for non-Irish speaking moderators, non-Irish speaking posters, the flow to the thread, the fact that it will open the door for posts in txt spk, Polish, etc.) then I don't think you're learning anything here.

Very few people have an issue with you posting in Irish, as long as you also provide an English translation.
    Why can't you accept this and get back to enjoying boards.ie while promoting your love of Irish in an inclusive manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gordon: "gleannuirce: why not set up a thread on (providing you are not banned from) the Teach na nGealt forum campaigning for a global shift in the boards.ie collective's preferred language?"

I am not banned from Teach na nGealt and it is not a bad idea. However I was banned from a different forum for speaking irish. My wish is to be able to contribute, where relevant, on ordinary forums.
    Well there's your solution so. You can write in Irish in that forum. If you successfully manage to make the boards populace see the light and allow solely Irish posts in any forum - you'll have done what you wanted.

Build it and they shall come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I will try and reply to the points raised in chronological order:

TV...."moderating posts in the Irish language is a non-runner for most of the moderators here on boards.ie and thus makes it impossible for them to determine if what you are posting obeys the rules of the forum"

I acknowledge the truth contained in that statement. I do not accept that it should override the right to post in Irish. Of course it is possible to post offensive stuff in Irish. Folk who are offended could point out the culprit and warnings issued as per normal.

If nobody understands the post on the specified forum, it will get skipped over. Your post will remain there, useless to 90%+ of the boards.ie community. The point of conversing on boards.ie is to share in the discussion, you're excluding 90%+ of us by posting in Irish. On the other hand, I'm including 90%+ of the forum by posting in English
    "insisting out of plain stubbornness to only talk Irish on English speaking fora really is bad manners."

You are going to have to try and get your head around the fact that plain stubbornness is not Irish speakers' motivation for speaking and writing in Irish. I do not know how I can help you in that. I speak English and Irish all the time when I'm in mixed language company in Galway City and people respect that without accusing me of bad manners.

If you conversed in my presence in Irish I would accuse you of bad manners considering that you are bilingual, you're excluding me from the conversation by talking Irish. If you were part of a little group in a pub, and I wasn't part of that group, then fire away and talk whatever language you like it makes no difference to me. If you're sitting at my table of common interest, and talk Irish, then it's most certainly bad manners to converse in Irish. Common consensus, even on this thread, is that it's bad manners to try to hold a conversation in an English speaking forum in another language. This is nothing to do with your right to speak Irish.
    "The rules of boards.ie state English is the language to converse in, if you don't converse in English you break the rules"

Can you point this out on the Terms of Use. I cannot find it.

It would appear it is an implicit rule, so I was wrong to state that the rules explicitly state it. I might actually request it be stated explicitly that boards.ie is an English-speaking forum except in designated areas.
    The thing is TV that the place where you can talk Irish is where the number one subject is the Irish language itself. I have other, bigger interests. Most gaeltacht folk do.

Then why not request the creation of an Irish subsection where users are free to converse in Irish about anything they want? If the forum grows, then it can be expanded into category subsections just has boards.ie grew from the few sections into the massive place it is now.

Such a dedicated place could have an Irish speaking moderator, who could moderate and ensure this place adhered to the rules of Boards.ie
    "Finally, who are you to say that Chinese (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) is any less of a language than Irish?"

The Chinese script appears as squares on my PC. I don't believe that Chinese is any less of a language than Irish; though I doubt you'll see much Irish on a Chinese boards site.

That doesn't mean there are not irish speaking people on a Chinese board. I'm sure there are quite a few users here with different native languages than English, they seem to be quite happy to accept that conversing in English is the right thing to do here on boards.
    "With all the Polish people living in Ireland now I'd wager there might be credance to the claim there are more native Polish speakers here than Irish speakers. We don't allow Polish on boards.ie either"

Is it a numbers question TV?

Yes, when it comes to boards.ie is most certainly is. Boards admins do not create new sections for 10 users to have a little get together, there has to be demand for a forum before it's created. Similarly, there should be a demand before conversing in another language is even considered. Leaving aside boards' "common sense" etiquette that would suggest a topic with multiple posts in multiple languages is just messy.

If we allowed Irish, we'd have to allow other languages too. If we didn't then we'd be putting Irish on a pedestal, would we not?

You miss the point that your contribution would be only be for your benefit, or that of a very very small amount of people. Not much of a contribution then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Now smashey tell the whole truth. The thread was about planning permissions in my local gaeltacht area. The planning app was in Irish, the appeal was in irish, the An Bord pleanála decision was in irish, but I wasn't allowed to comment in irish on boards.ie.
    How about you try telling the whole truth here? The thread had absolutley no input from you until I asked the OP for a translation. You then came in with the bigot comments. The truth is, I told the OP to provide an English translation to go along with the Irish post and he did this almost immediatley. So to sum up, Irish posts were allowed as long as they had a translation. You would have been perfectly entitled to post but you chose to rant.
    So it wasn't a question of me hijacking a thread about jedward's hairstyles with a random irish contribution.
    Substitute Jedward's hairstlye for a random thread about a planning application in your area and, yes, you hi-jacked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

smashey wrote: »

Nollaig shona :D

Mo dhá pingin:

The only time I've really had trouble with this rule is where I posted up on the politics forum some Irish inviting people to the same topic thread in teach na gealt (+ link) as part of my post. However because it was a heated debate (1916 rising, I'm sure you can guess who and why!) Because I didn't say what it was, it got reported, and taken down (rightly, the mod didn't have Irish, and it was heated!).

What irked me was how much they stood by their decision, given my post was basically "Hey, everyone, we're discussing it over here as well, it might be quieter!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Saibh: "I would have no objections to someone posting in Irish if they wish to"
    Thank You Saibh, I am sure you are not the only non-Irish speaker with this view.

Nollaig Shona* :)

*done via translation via internet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nollaig shona daoibh. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Natale Hilare as they used to say(post Constantine)

*done via lessons in the classics at an all too early age.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nesf wrote: »
    Nollaig shona daoibh. :p
    Is it not Nollaig shona Duit?*

No matter, May you and yours have a good, content one, one and all.:)

*Then again that's my latin coming out again. Shades of Monty Python.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

though banning me for commenting in Irish on a discussion concerning the Irish language in planning matters is oppressive enough behaviour in my opinion.
    But I still don't agree that I should be banned simply for posting in Irish.
    I wan't to be able to comment on relevant stuff without being banned for contributing in Irish.
    Im a bit late in responding here but from the posts above you are clearly conveying the message that you were banned for posting in Irish. I have checked your profile and the only ban I can see is a permanent ban from the Construction and Planning forum for deliberately dragging a thread off topic and abusing a moderator.

So why do you continue to make allegations of being banned for posting in Irish when in fact you weren't? You also made this allegation
    but I wasn't allowed to comment in irish on boards.ie.

I wan't to be able to comment on relevant stuff without being banned for contributing in Irish.
    Just for the benefit of others let me explain that prior to the incident that led to your ban from the C & P forum you had zero participation in that forum or any of it's sub forums. There were hundreds of topics listed for discussion but you selectively choose to post in a thread where the OP had been requested to and agreed to post in both Irish and English. You never posted in Irish in that thread and had you done so you would have been afforded the same opportunity as the OP.

Perhaps they were confused because on boards.ie you can be banned for having the cheek to post in the irish language.
    This is an extract from one of your recent posts which once again demonstrates that despite being advised to the contrary by Tom Dunne you seem determined to carry on some form of crusade in which you are confusing fact with fiction.

The main reason for your ban was that you accused smashey of being a bigot. Just like smashey my native province is Ulster and God knows there have been enough of bigots in this province but let me tell you sir, smashey is not one of them nor am I. Try looking up a dictionary definition of the word bigot and you will find this
    n. person with fixed and intolerant belief. bigoted, a. bigotry, n. such belief.
    Sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wibbs wrote: »

Duit means to you - one person.

Daoibh means to ye - plural :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wibbs wrote: »

*mocks ruthlessly*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There is a sub forum in After Hours called Teach na Gealt I think for discussion as Gaeilge I think.

• Advertisement

muffler,

I didn't drag a thread off topic, I was very much on topic, it was the first and only thread about planning in my local area. Like a lot of people I'm only interested in planning when it's about to affect what's happening on my doorstep. What's wrong with that?

And fair enough I was harsh on the mod. But only after he jumped at me for posting in Irish. Which was relevant I thought, because the thread concerned Irish language planning conditions. And was being reported in other media in Irish. And was being talked about locally in Irish.

But the thread raises an important question, which attacking me doesn't make go away. And can you save the 'crusader' allegations, and stick to the argument? As there's been 6 pages of debate with various people contributing it's not a very lonely crusade.

Let's play the ball, and not the man.

Can I post in Irish without being banned for doing just that? I asked Touching Virus for where it says so in the rules, I cannot find it.

If you say to me muffler that I can post in Irish on boards.ie and provided it is relevant (and I would consider a thread on irish language issues in gaeltacht areas as very relevant!) and obeys all the other rules about civilised behaviour, then I will be happy.

And as for bigotry well OK I withdraw what I said!

But you yourself muffler wrote a dictionary definition of a bigot and then asked me "sound familiar?"

I get the message muff.

Would you provide a translation for the rest of us who don't understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can I post in Irish without being banned for doing just that? I asked Touching Virus for where it says so in the rules, I cannot find it.
    Just to point out I'm not a user of any authority here, so don't take my inability to find a rule explicitly stating English is the language of boards, or a rule under which it could be implied as there being no such rule :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, posting in just irish on a forum not for the sole use of irish, will, quite probably, get you banned. This is an inclusive site, provide a translation please. I'm an admin here.

There, happy now?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I didn't drag a thread off topic, I was very much on topic

You were not on topic, plain and simple. You do not decide what is/is not on topic, the moderators of the forum do.
    it was the first and only thread about planning in my local area. Like a lot of people I'm only interested in planning when it's about to affect what's happening on my doorstep. What's wrong with that?

I'll tell you what was wrong - the manner in which you conducted yourself. You contributed nothing to the thread in question, other than making that juvenile post I quoted earlier.
    Which was relevant I thought, because the thread concerned Irish language planning conditions.

I have highlighted the problem with this statement. What you thought. Not what was appropriate for the thread/forum/discussion, but what you thought. Just because you think something is relevant, doesn't mean it is. Until you understand what is and is not acceptable when taking part in a discussion on Boards.ie, we are going to continue going around and around in circles here.

You have been offered a number of suggestions in this thread, yet you continue engaging in nothing more than irrelevant bickering.
    And can you save the 'crusader' allegations, and stick to the argument?

I suggest you practice what you preach.

I refer you to my previous post on traditions and customs. Just because it is not written in the rules and regulations, it is implied that the language of discourse on Boards.ie is English, save for the forums dedicated to other languages.
    If you say to me muffler that I can post in Irish on boards.ie and provided it is relevant (and I would consider a thread on irish language issues in gaeltacht areas as very relevant!) and obeys all the other rules about civilised behaviour, then I will be happy.

Again, remember what others have said. If you post purely in Irish, with no translation, in an English language thread, then it will most likely be deemed disruptive.

And we know what happens posts are deemed disruptive by moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But only after he jumped at me for posting in Irish.
    But here you go again. You didnt post in Irish. You posted in the best of the Queens English and with a great grasp of the grammar may I add.

So once again why do you feel the need to continue to post untruths?

And this is the thread in question (without any editing) should you choose to reread it and perhaps change your story a bit.

gleannuirce, if i was you i would just use another website/forum that caters to your needs. Imo you should be able to post as Gaeilge in an Irish forum. This site needs to get its priority's in order, Aim towards to people and not the company's.
    A bit more freedom of speech and you would make a lot of people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Boards is a site for everyone to use, it's not here to cater solely to your needs.

If you were trying to conduct a conversation with someone in English and they started speaking Japanese, it wouldn't be much fun would it?

Boards is primarily an English speaking site, nowhere does it state otherwise - apart from the few specific forums for each language.

It's known that a lot of people in this country can't speak Irish, even those that have studied it for LC/JC. Those that can are in the minority. Sad, but true, but that's a story for another day.

Posting in Irish only, outside the forums solely designated for speaking in Irish is a tad selfish and rude. Post in Irish if you like, but provide a translation for those that can't understand you - otherwise what's the point in even posting if not everyone knows what you've said?

If you want to hold a conversation purely in Irish do it somewhere that's meant for conversations purely in Irish.

Sin é. :pac:

Wibbs,

I have previously replied on that score.

Touching Virus -

no problem. Perhaps we could agree that if there is such a rule, - and you'll see from the other posts that there IS a de facto no Irish on English threads rule- then it would be honest to explicitly state it.

De Vore you write "Yeah, posting in just irish on a forum not for the sole use of irish, will, quite probably, get you banned."
    Well that's what i've been saying all along. Your sense of honesty is not unfortunately matched by your sense of irony, asking ME the bilingual poster to be INCLUSIVE. I'm not up for banning anybody DeVere, you are.

Tom Dunne, you write "You were not on topic, plain and simple". Tom, that is still your opinion, plain and simple. And it is YOUR OPINION , not God's, that my contributions amount to nothing more than bickering.
    In MY OPINION you are wrong.

Muffler, I cannot read that thread. I presume I am still banned from it.
    Thanks for the grammar praise by the way.

Little Nipper writes "Aim towards to people and not the company's". I'm afraid I don't understand that. As for "A bit more freedom of speech and you would make a lot of people happy.", well Nip I'm the one looking for freedom of speech, my native Irish speech.

misslt informs me "Boards is a site for everyone to use, it's not here to cater solely to your needs."
    Thanks for that misslt, I hadn't realised that.

So.

I think this thread has run it's course, as far as I am concerned anyway.

I am glad the de facto 'no Irish on English threads or you'll be banned' unspoken rule has been flushed out and debated.

What I asked for is the freedom to post in my local native language on threads where a reasonable person would deem it relevant to post in Irish, and I have been refused. And no I am not interested in the time-consuming business of posting translations,(I don't ask for them either).

As I am forbidden from posting in Irish outside of the Irish-speaking board, I am leaving and will not be back.

I realise some of you will have doubts about this. Well, you should have the misneach to express them.

My departure will make some of you happy, no doubt. I am sure it would have made Mr. Cromwell happy to see "Irish" people banning their own language.

Shame on you from the Connemara Gaeltacht.

Good-Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You'll just keep on misreading things to suit your agenda won't you?
    "It's at each moderator's discretion." It certainly is Dudess. Irish speakers are at the mercy of moderators who can ban them simply for contributing in Irish, whether relevant or not.
    Way to twist what I said - could you provide examples of moderators banning people for posting in Irish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement