Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of the Irish language on boards.ie

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I saw Cromwell mentioned. I'm assuming that means we're all done discussing the subtle nuances of what being off-topic in a conversation is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

... as well as being given a thorough lesson in selective quoting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am glad the de facto 'no Irish on English threads or you'll be banned' unspoken rule has been flushed out and debated.
    Yep like the (correct) rule that if I post in the Irish forums in english I'll be warned and if I continue will be banned. Rightfully. And in that case every single one of the other Irish speaking posters would understand me in english.
    And no I am not interested in the time-consuming business of posting translations,(I don't ask for them either).
    So you're stamping your foot like a child and being exclusive? In a language that most dont understand but a few words. You want to exclude at least 90% of the people who will read your stuff? Genius. :eek:
    As I am forbidden from posting in Irish outside of the Irish-speaking board, I am leaving and will not be back.
    Frankly speaking for myself with an attitude like that I for one am disappointed. You're a perfect example of why I will never learn the language. Thankfully this thinking is fram dying breed. At least I hope it is. I mean the lack of logic why you would purposely exclude the vast majority of your readers just to make some daft point.
    I realise some of you will have doubts about this. Well, you should have the misneach to express them.
    You may be surprised how few. Hey maybe you're right, in which case start your own exclusively Irish speaking web site. If you build it they will come.
    My departure will make some of you happy, no doubt. I am sure it would have made Mr. Cromwell happy to see "Irish" people banning their own language.
    And heres the the usual BS. Yet another "Native Irish Speaker" becoming a self imposed martyr for ould Ireland. Give me an ever loving break. :rolleyes: The sooner we all leave that type of thinking behind regardless of what language we speak, the better.
    Shame on you from the Connemara Gaeltacht.

Good-Bye.
    Happy trails.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cromwell
    Gaelgor Godwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Muffler, I cannot read that thread.
    Log out and you will be able to view it. Then come back here again and tell us (a) where exactly you posted in Irish and (b) where it says you got banned for posting in Irish.

I presume I am still banned from it.
    Finally you got one presumption correct. Well done.

Thanks for the grammar praise by the way.
    You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm confidently predicting a new Boards member joining this thread to vigorously defend the departed gleannuirce. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Given this thread is heating up: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773196

I won't be surprised to see more complaints at all.

Donegalfella isn't towing the party line (or toeing?) that you've set out here btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think this thread has run it's course

Very true.
    I am sure it would have made Mr. Cromwell happy to see "Irish" people banning their own language.

Our TARDIS is on order. We'll be sure to ask him when it arrives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement