Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating Flat Roof

• 19-12-2009 10:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm getting a flat roof replaced (was chipboard under the felt - and basically gone to mush). I really want to stick in insulation when i'm replacing it - but as have spot lights in the ceiling under it, I can't just shove in fiberglass. can I put solid insulation on top of the rafters? talking to the roofer about this and he says you can't do it, as you'd need some way of attaching wood on top of the insulation to the rafters below. But I'm fairly sure i've heard this being done before?

any help much appreciated.

thanks,
    Justin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Phenolic-Foam-Insulation-Boards-Slab-Panels-GB-PFAT-.jpg

Something like this maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

hey, thanks. but can you put felt ontop of that & use a blowtorch to seal it?

thanks,
    Justin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

No you couldn't put felt directly down on top it, it would fit in between the timber joists but you said you have spot lights. If you were to put it on top of the joists you are going to raise the overall height of the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    I got a flat roof done on a section of my house a few months ago. Contractor put the new plywood then 75 mm of kingspan insulation over the plywood and then the roof covering. Although i did not have to worry any lighting issues as it half the roof was a garage and utility room. Also what type of covering are you using? I went for a pvc type covering in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

shane b wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a flat roof done on a section of my house a few months ago. Contractor put the new plywood then 75 mm of kingspan insulation over the plywood and then the roof covering. Although i did not have to worry any lighting issues as it half the roof was a garage and utility room. Also what type of covering are you using? I went for a pvc type covering in the end.

I guess tourch on felt roof covering. I remember when the folks had their flast roof done on a new extension, they put a composite insulation on top of the rafters. It looked like there was compressed wood fibres bonded to insulation. Then the tourch on felt went ontop of that. I mentioned this to the roofer, but he'd never heard of it... Should I be looking at getting a new roofer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    As the insulation im not sure what you mean but it may be a kingspan product below
    http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/ireland/therma.htm

from the roofers i talked to it seems torch on felt is not that common any mor.e. Pvc or EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) rubber roof seems to be more common and are supposed to last up to 20 yrs. The contractor for the rubber roof was using this product. http://www.rubberbond.co.uk/products_fleeceback.php
    hope this helps

Advertisement