Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

gone very cold here also(castlebar) and it looks like the sky could burst any moment it ill be rain or a heavy snow shower

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

the temp is 2.7c and DP of 1.3c........wont be getting snow from that me thinks.

Temp here now 3.5c DP 1.7c. Temp has risen 1.1c in half an hour.

No chance of snow here either I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann have dropped "occasional", instead using "scattered" showers in their latest update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    could anyone explain to me why the showers keep changing between snow and hail here a bit annoying for a covering..

Probably due to the mixing of the 2 airmasses at the moment Owen. While it may show a straight divide on even the best hi res models, in reality, it is a lot more complicated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Probably due to the mixing of the 2 airmasses at the moment Owen. While it may show a straight divide on even the best hi res models, in reality, it is a lot more complicated.

ok thx as long as when the front clears and the showers come down from the sea that they fall as snow everything will be alright:D

• Advertisement

7pm :
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

completely confused by what's going on :P
    chances of snow in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Lashing rain now and windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Not trying to get people's hopes up...but from what I can see the "main front" over (draw a line if you like from Downpatrick - Omagh - Strabane) north-wards is strangthening by the looks of it - I'm no weather expert but looking at the rain today radar (very useful) it seems as if its strengthening and turning more to sleet and snow, while the rain is turning to sleet - at the moment the rain is virtually confined to the North-West Donegal hills........Tempature still feels as if it's continuing to drop here in Enniskillen, getting quite cold now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

organized cloud reaching dublin, I can see it here from Dalkey (I'm at a height). When precipitation eventually arrives it will be cold light rain...really miserable:(

• Advertisement

raining now hopefully it ill turn

At least after this front passes it'll be cold, frosty and icey for a few days. So it will look and feel seasonal even if there isn't much snow.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Travelling from Lifford to donegal town. Temp 1.5 medium rain. Roads fine. So far. Got barnesmore gap ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp and dew point on the rise here despite being clear overhead. Wind gotten up to. Rain with a bit of sleet at the back end likely ..then frost for the next few days, bah humbug!

The mountains should have a fair amount of sneachta on them above maybe 400 metres tonight, which is likely to be there for the rest of the week.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest Hi res model runs seem to be increasing chances of heavy snowfall across much of Ulster and western coastal areas (particularly hills) over the next 48hrs.

Of interest to me though is the increasing chance of thunderstorms as well in these areas. Even if they remain towards the coast could be some nice visual lightning views from here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Light rain now in Sandyford and by the looks of things across Dublin

Latest Hi res model runs seem to be increasing chances of heavy snowfall across much of Ulster and western coastal areas (particularly hills) over the next 48hrs.

Of interest to me though is the increasing chance of thunderstorms as well in these areas. Even if they remain towards the coast could be some nice visual lightning views from here! :)

utv forecast said 20cm for hills here!!! we will see:D 0.1c now also snow lying 200 m on the mountain behind me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

snow chance me thinks,i mean no chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Operation Artic has commenced , it is snowing here in Donegal!
    Harrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

it has rained in Limerick city. just waiting for the 1700 reports to see if temp in shannon has fallen.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Operation Artic has commenced , it is snowing here in Donegal!
    Harrah!

Just about to go through gap. Where are you??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

temp at shannon now 5 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just about to go through gap. Where are you??
    South west Donegal good bit from the gap ;)
    The ground is pretty wet so i doubt it will stick too much, probably wet snow is likely, im sure it will be snowing in the gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

image-BD08_4B2D0BEC.jpg

Red = Rain/Sleet
    Blue = Sleet/Snow
    Purple = Snow

Just driving up the bray as I type this on the iPhone. Snow just starting. Wet ground. Temp 1 c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

where so you see the hi res model?

Danno wrote: »
    image-BD08_4B2D0BEC.jpg

Red = Rain/Sleet
    Blue = Sleet/Snow
    Purple = Snow

how long should that take to get down here??? looks good if that comes say 12am we could get 10cm and if we wait to then ground should be cold enoug to ly.....

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just driving up the bray as I type this on the iPhone. Snow just starting. Wet ground. Temp 1 c

I dunno if driving and typing on boards in the snow at night is a good idea! :pac:

winds picked up a ****e load here light sleet showers also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

naughto wrote: »
    winds picked up a ****e load here light sleet showers also
    where are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement