Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Moderate-Heavy hail here too
    EDIT: Giving a covering :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Drizzle snizzle.
    Im confident its gonna get colder here later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temp beginning to fall sharply here now. Down to 3.8c. Still a bit breezy but rain shower has passed through.

Im in mayo, a little north of you and can confirm that yes the temp is dropping quite sharply. now 3.2c here, was 5.4c about an hour ago.

trogdor wrote: »
    Moderate-Heavy hail here too
    EDIT: Giving a covering :pac: :pac:

And then it stops and begins to melt:p still, gave a temp drop from 5.0C to 3.6C tho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

rte weather forecast on tv there looked very promising for west and north!:)

yeah and gerry murphy mentioned a second front coming down later tonight of showers for the west and north. hopefully they'll come inland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

that heavy hail shower that just passed through dublin marked the entrance of colder air, winds in fact are now coming from the north instead of the WSW...I expect a bit of sleet later on and then a freeze...watch out on them roads tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

And then it stops and begins to melt:p still, gave a temp drop from 5.0C to 3.6C tho:)

Yeah thats just hit me up the road - was watching that temp drop - did it in 2 minutes wow - DP now down to 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Rain,sleet and snow here in Clane at the moment.Its trying hard to snow!!!!!

jenzz wrote: »
    Yeah thats just hit me up the road - was watching that temp drop - did it in 2 minutes wow - DP now down to 1c

Yeah the temp is actually still falling:) some of that cold air mst be reaching us, 3.2C/0.8C now

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Hail and rain in greystones now

• Advertisement

Yeah the temp is actually still falling:) some of that cold air mst be reaching us, 3.2C/0.8C now

no more rain now....next precipitation that comes will be surely sleet (if there is more precipitation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

That is an interesting reading Peter. It is exactly 3.2c here too. I would be more or less to your direct west on the other side of the island and it shows nicely the direct east/west alignment of the front as pushes south.

Just a nerdy observation. :o

i know im watching the station - heading down the harbour - not the night for an xmas party - ill send out the flares if we get snowed in the den

patneve wrote: »
    no more rain now....next precipitation that comes will be surely sleet (if there is more precipitation)
    Not necessarily just yet but the temp continues to fall here so there'll be some wintriness garaunteed soon if it and stop falling..and there's any more precipitation...2.9C/0.8C now
    That is an interesting reading Peter. It is exactly 3.2c here too. I would be more or less to your direct west on the other side of the island and it shows nicely the direct east/west alignment of the front as pushes south.

Just a nerdy observation. :o

Hehe Indeed it is interesting:) any precip over with you?

jenzz wrote: »
    i know im watching the station - heading down the harbour - not the night for an xmas party - ill send out the flares if we get snowed in the den

I'll keep a lookout and come running with the snow shovel:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hehe Indeed it is interesting:) any precip over with you?

Nah, all cleared through now though still a bit breezy, if a little less so. Fun and games over with for the time being..:)

I'll keep a lookout and come running with the snow shovel:)

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heavy sleet here, +2.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Hopefully temps will decrease further before the showers arrive from scotland. This seems to be our chance.

By the way can anyone take a quick look on google earth and tell me how the mountains may affect any snow snowers in kenmare (orographic lift etc.) We are surrounded by them!

Ta se ag cur sneachta !!! big fat plops

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

beginning to worry now as to weather we will get any snow nevermind 4 inches as its around 0.6c and the first shower coming in from scotland is arriving i doubt it will lay on the ground and the temp is hardly dropping very worriyng.

owenc wrote: »
    beginning to worry now as to weather we will get any snow nevermind 4 inches as its around 0.6c and the first shower coming in from scotland is arriving i doubt it will lay on the ground and the temp is hardly dropping very worriyng.

chillllll outtt owen. I guarantee you a covering by the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

patneve wrote: »
    chillllll outtt owen. I guarantee you a covering by the morning.

i agre im going to have to just wait and see....

3.5c/2c here...
    Has been like that for a while.
    Clear skies here still with drizzle blowing in the wind.

If the temp drops 2 degrees everywhere on passing that would put me near zero..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Big temp drop. +1.4c and heavy sleet/snow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its raining here, doesn't feel as cold as last night to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Had a heavy hail shower here about 25 mins ago, left a covering here on cars, decking and grass, the temp dropped from 5.2 to 3.2C in 5 mins. :D

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

jasus lads yis are desperate I have a mantra to create snow so while your on here repeat it in your head and you will have snow,

chickatomacaca chickatomacaca,

it works we also have one for rain, big rain it works just have faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

steady rain here in carlow,not even sleet just borin old rain ....ah well at least the place will be like an ice rink in the mornin:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Would almost say we had the slightest bit of sleet about a half hour ago,Had the light switched on out the front of the house and the "rain" wasn't falling straight it was swirling around etc...

Might be better later!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement