Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »

well just to let everyone know anything that has fallen today has been of sleet and not rain so maybe thats a higher chance>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what would be best for nearly all of us is if there was a polar low in the next day or two. no poxy mild sectors to contend with, and places further south, that are less likely to see the showers, would have some snow.. it has been too long since our last polar low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Light rain shower here in West Limerick.

Skies are mainly cloudy with the sun peeking through a clearing low in the sky.

No idea of the temperature as I don't have a thermometer. Perhaps I can look at the one in the car to get a trend.

all this is making me think we are just going to get sleet tonight after waiting a full week. what a disapointment

• Advertisement

all those blasphemers should be banned indefinitely from boards.ie.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well in Dromahair, there is a lethal black ice, its one of the most solid, slippy shiny black ice I have experienced since i moved here, 5 years ago. NO SNOW :(

Just following the chat for this morning and realise we are on the downward run of the roller coaster, and i am just hoping that its not the ride coming to an end but just getting ready to seriously climb to new heights for this evening or even tomorrow. Is it the cold we are missing now, have i picked that up right? if we got a polar low then it would be game on??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: -0.2 °C
    Dew Point: -0.5 °C

No snow on the radar, but woke up to a thin white covering which is still here and probably will stay, as long as the temperature doesn't go up any more.
    Clouds look like they could hold some snow. Fingers crossed.

That forum is pre modded like pi.
    You are not allowed to post an anti rant it's in the rules so your post won't be approved.
    and places further south, that are less likely to see the showers
    Just to reiterate-places in the west on the far south of the island will see heavy showers of snow after that front eg west cork and kerry .
    They have a far better chance of snow showers in a wnw or an NW flow than places way further north [that are further east and away from the atlantic] because of proximity to the atlantic,the king of shower making.
    Of course the atlantic usually makes rain showers but not so with the source of the air flowing over it and into the entire western sea board from Derry down to west cork this time.
    It *could* but I'm not guarantee'ing [just saying theres a highish probability in my view] get very similar to the white Xmas they got a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A nasty GFS run in FI....severe winds and very heavy rain at 192 hours : http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1921.png

Horrible!

Good job FI is about72 hours at the moment :pac:

• Advertisement

You are not allowed to post an anti rant it's in the rules so your post won't be approved.Just to reiterate-places in the west on the far south of the island will see heavy showers of snow after that front eg west cork and kerry .
    They have a far better chance of snow showers in a wnw or an NW flow than places way further north [that are further east and away from the atlantic] because of proximity to the atlantic,the king of shower making.
    Of course the atlantic usually makes rain showers but not so with the source of the air flowing over it and into the entire western sea board from Derry down to west cork this time.
    It *could* but I'm not guarantee'ing [just saying theres a highish probability in my view] get very similar to the white Xmas they got a few years ago.

so would could get snow afterall..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You are not allowed to post an anti rant it's in the rules so your post won't be approved.Just to reiterate-places in the west on the far south of the island will see heavy showers of snow after that front eg west cork and kerry .

suppose we'll just have to wait and see till later. usually such showers come well inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Looking at SAT 24 is appers the heavy presip in that front might miss us completely, but there are some heavy showers for the north and west following fast behind it

well a lot of the country- but particularly the north and north west should get sleet and snow showers after the front clear through. the winds should help to push the showers well inland too. i mentioned a polar low because it's almost a guarantee of a widespread 3- 4 hour snow event, whereby even places in the very south of the country could get snow- which is usually not the case in an arctic airflow setup.

People are let down today, met eireann said up to 6 cms of snow in accumlations for today , what happened to that?

You are not allowed to post an anti rant it's in the rules so your post won't be approved..
    I wad joking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

What happened to Leahyl:(,did someone frighten her off.I miss her and her enthusiasm:).

roryc1 wrote: »
    Looking at SAT 24 is appers the heavy presip in that front might miss us completely, but there are some heavy showers for the north and west following fast behind it

This would be at 12Z today
    PREC_TODAY_ATL.png

People are let down today, met eireann said up to 6 cms of snow in accumlations for today , what happened to that?

scotland probably snatched it all :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Just to reiterate-places in the west on the far south of the island will see heavy showers of snow after that front eg west cork and kerry .

You hear that WolfeIRE & Leahyl :D:D:D

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    scotland probably snatched it all :mad::mad:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

it looks like it(as they always do) i wonder how many inches they'll get out of it at lower levels.

it looks like it(as they always do) i wonder how many inches they'll get out of it at lower levels.

in the north after 2 hours of snow they look like having 3 inches.:mad: even south east?(england) is colder than here they get everything all the famous superstars,warm weather , heatwaves and now snow! shows how much 30 miles across the sea can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think they just measure in feet now due to their generous accumulations :(

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This is a nice alternative to the Sat24 loop, once its loaded up fully you can drag the slider to give a very smooth forward/backward motion. Nicely illustrates the flow coming down from up north. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Had another little bit of snow early this morning (at what time I dont know) But there's a thin covering on the ground, its dull and overcast.......nice! :D

Temp 1.6c and DP 0.7c......borderline :o

6C here, time to break out the sun cream and shorts :pac:

6C here, time to break out the sun cream and shorts :pac:

2c here and raining not sleeting anymore. its warm compared to everywhere else here and if it was 6c i would die!:eek:

Meanwhile over in the States, it looks like there are no such problems of warm sectors and wet bulb woes....

Washington DC going to be hit by a real snow storm..."Accumulations of 15 inches or more in the city"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/18/AR2009121803889.html?hpid=artslot

Jealous much? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This is a nice alternative to the Sat24 loop, once its loaded up fully you can drag the slider to give a very smooth forward/backward motion. Nicely illustrates the flow coming down from up north. :pac:

Thats brilliant thank you !!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

will munster get any snow today ???:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement