Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very fine thin layer up here; was expecting more reading Pangea's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I've just been out in Lifford and Strabane and we have a couple of inches. \0/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

The kerry snow shield holds up once more. Not even cold outside now:eek: Depressed and heading off to bed soon. Damn SW. Rain capital and non-snow capital of europe:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

The skys clear as its been in a long time here in dublin. Plenty of stars but not a cloud in sight!
    I never thought i`d be sad to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Grain of hope for Dublin tomorrow perhaps?
    www.met.ie wrote:
    Windy and very cold. Scattered hail and snow showers. High of 2 to 4 degrees.

Temps at 2-4 would see it melting rather than sticking but we can always hope :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Snowing here again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

about an inch and a half on the ground now. it's enough for me just to see a white cover everywhere. now if the models could just change their predictions for christmas day that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Just arriving into Belfast Port on the boat from Stranraer now. Heading for Mayo...by the look of the reports on here tonight this is going to be a challenging drive! :eek:

It is indeed; take care!
    Just arriving into Belfast Port on the boat from Stranraer now. Heading for Mayo...by the look of the reports on here tonight this is going to be a challenging drive! :eek:

• Advertisement

Pretty; there has been more here, and when daylight finally comes it will be a glory.. Just not happy re missing the sale today...

Ah well....
    about an inch and a half on the ground now. it's enough for me just to see a white cover everywhere. now if the models could just change their predictions for christmas day that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

driving conditions in mayo are hazardous enough now, a good blanket of snow everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-2 here with no precipitation. any showers that are there are disappearing before they get into Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A few frozen snowflakes on the car outside so must have spitted light snow overnight. The bigger showers not making it down this far.

Temp -1.7c with a light breeze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snow here now not very deep about 2inches but we could get 4 inches before the mornings out, do you think its possible to get 6 inchhes from these showers over the period of today?

owenc wrote: »
    snow here now not very deep about 2inches but we could get 4 inches before the mornings out, do you think its possible to get 6 inchhes from these showers over the period of today?

Hard to say but you are in the most favoured location Owen, just keep your fingers crossed!

Hard to say but you are in the most favoured location Owen, just keep your fingers crossed!

yes well over the next few days im bound to get something iditional because of the amount of showers do you think much snow will melt today?:( will these showers be as freguent tonight and today as they were last night?

Ulster forecast out

Ulster
    20 December 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today

Frost and ice for a time this morning in many places. Widespread hail, sleet or snow showers, heaviest in the north and west with deposits of between 5 and 12 cm. Very strong, west to northwest winds will gust 70 to 80 km/hr, making it feel bitterly cold throughout. Highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Wintry showers persisting, with further accumulations of several centimetres likely in the north and west. West to northwest winds decreasing fresh to strong but remain bitterly cold; lowest temperatures 0 to -3 degrees Celsius, leading to ice on untreated surfaces.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ulster forecast out

Ulster
    20 December 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today

Frost and ice for a time this morning in many places. Widespread hail, sleet or snow showers, heaviest in the north and west with deposits of between 5 and 12 cm. Very strong, west to northwest winds will gust 70 to 80 km/hr, making it feel bitterly cold throughout. Highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Wintry showers persisting, with further accumulations of several centimetres likely in the north and west. West to northwest winds decreasing fresh to strong but remain bitterly cold; lowest temperatures 0 to -3 degrees Celsius, leading to ice on untreated surfaces.

so going by this i can get an extra 2-4 inches ! wow!

National Forecast
    hr.gif

20 December 2009 05:18

Today
    Widespread sharp ground frost this morning, with icy stretches likely on untreated roads. Hail, sleet and snow showers affecting Ulster and Connaught will spread to west Munster and north Leinster but much of the south and southeast will be dry and sunny for the day. West to northwest winds will strengthen everywhere, with blizzard conditions and drifting snow at times in the north and northwest. Exceptionally cold due to the wind; highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees Celsius.
    Tonight

Wintry showers persisting tonight in northern and western counties, with further accumulations of snow likely there. West to northwest winds decreasing moderate to fresh generally but remaining bitterly cold. Lowest temperatures 0 to -4 degrees, leading to sharp or severe ground frost and some icy stretches.
    hr.gif

• Advertisement

lol

With this wind there will also be drifting.

Still a bare inch up here; Blue Stacks Donegal
    so going by this i can get an extra 2-4 inches ! wow!

yes well over the next few days im bound to get something iditional because of the amount of showers do you think much snow will melt today?:( will these showers be as freguent tonight and today as they were last night?

Most likely some; will depend on the frequency of shower activity. The more frequent the showers will be, the less likely the speed of melt. The sea around Ireland is still quite warm so any prolonged dry sunny spell will have an effect on speed of melt unfortunetly. But don't worry, some big looking showers to the north of you on the latest sat image. :)

Most likely some; will depend on the frequency of shower activity. The more frequent the showers will be, the less likely the speed of melt. The sea around Ireland is still quite warm so any prolonged dry sunny spell will have an effect on speed of melt unfortunetly. But don't worry, some big looking showers to the north of you on the latest sat image. :)

yes if they continue all day i could have 6 inches or so by the end of the day considering met ie said 12 cm does that mean iditional?

yes if they continue all day i could have 6 inches or so by the end of the day considering met ie said 12 cm does that mean iditional?

I would take that as being so, yes.

Expecting feck all here though today, which does not surprise me. :pac:

Hail or snow is coming down the chimney here now and the wild wind howling; snow battering the windows too, or hail.

Will have to take the dogs out soon...

I would take that as being so, yes.

Expecting feck all here though today, which does not surprise me. :pac:

yep the showers will probably stop by 9am and then get sunny:mad::mad: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I hate living in wexford.

baraca wrote: »
    I hate living in wexford.

i hate living in northern ireland i wished i lived in northern england.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

i hate living in northern ireland i wished i lived in northern england.....

At least your gettin snow! ;)

• Advertisement

Not according to met eireann ...
    yep the showers will probably stop by 9am and then get sunny:mad::mad: lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement