Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Light rain in Roscommon now. 2C dewpoint 1.9C. Light rain. No snow today.
    Roads very dangerous though - water on top of black ice..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think polar lows are are too rare to be mentioned in these situations. NWesterlies are useless to almost everyone wanting snow in this country. Every ramping I've ever seen with a NW based setup has failed for the exception of the north coast, and that's only when it's cold enough to snow at lower areas aswell as the mountains there!

The reality is that GFS in particular always underestimates the ridging that takes place with northerly HPs. This affects us more for NW than for E setups from my experience in these last few years. The result? Cold but no precipitation. Time after time.

Also, met eireann really only indicated up to 6 cm of the white stuff for hilly areas. My interpretation of their forecast that it would be up to 3 cm elsewhere. Was and possibly still is a valid statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think polar lows are are too rare to be mentioned in these situations.

When was the last time we had a polar low move down over Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

As if the black ice couldn't get any more lethal here, its now drizzling on top of it!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

holly1 wrote: »
    What happened to Leahyl:(,did someone frighten her off.I miss her and her enthusiasm:).

I think she has gone to scotland looking for snow :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Blue sky and sunshine here in east Donegal. Little or no wind. Roads are fine at the moment.
    I have a trip to make through some high ground later. (to get home !) If i leave it until about 3pm am I pushing my luck??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

are we going to get snwo tonite in munster :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

When was the last time we had a polar low move down over Ireland?

Dec 2000?

john 1994 wrote: »
    are we going to get snwo tonite in munster :D:D:D

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Munster :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Light rain shower just passed here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

il take dat as a yes :D:D

I've had a look at the latest GFS Christmas Day chart - deep low pressure centre over Wales, keeping a northeasterly wind blowing - however - it looks like temperatures will be too high for snow, except maybe in the north - otherwise wet and windy and raw 5-7C for most.

But I caution, UKMO doesn't follow suit surprise, surprise, nor does ECM. I'd take it day by day at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

- otherwise wet and windy and raw 5-7C for most.

But I caution, UKMO doesn't follow suit surprise, surprise, nor does ECM. I'd take it day by day at this stage....

Christ, I'd take anything, even fecking mild and dry over wet and windy!! :o. Just out of interest, what does UKMO and ECM say, dont worry, I wont hold you to it! :p

I've had a look at the latest GFS Christmas Day chart - deep low pressure centre over Wales, keeping a northeasterly wind blowing - however - it looks like temperatures will be too high for snow, except maybe in the north - otherwise wet and windy and raw 5-7C for most.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2009/12/19/basis06/ukuk/rart/09122512_2_1906.gif :D

Pure FI though.

Good morning fellow snow junkies :) Im a bit late to the party today.
    Ive read throught the thread, would I be right in thinking, Dublin wont be getting anysnow today, that we might just get rain?

Thanks everyone.

LOL , proverbial weather knifeedge there...bookies are sweating now...really messy after 3 days at this stage, so much for computerised modelling - Nature making sure she ain't giving up without a fight....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, due at a car boot sale in Ballyshannon early tomorrow; was not even going to load the car..... But I have done, so probably something will happen now...

Don't say I don't try; loading the car takes a long while..;)

Fascinating up here as we can see miles in most directions. Something was falling over Donegal Town a while back...

I once asked re a weather station but where we were living then they did not need any..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

when is this outbreaks of rain front supposed to arrive?? can't see anything on the radar except scotland. did it suddenly decide to go east?

really messy after 3 days at this stage, so much for computerised modelling - Nature making sure she ain't giving up without a fight....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/in-depth/ask/julia-slingo.pdf
    At the Met Office we use the same model to make weather forecasts as we do to make our climate predictions

LOL

when is this outbreaks of rain front supposed to arrive?? can't see anything on the radar except scotland. did it suddenly decide to go east?

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

You can see the full front there. Looks a bit weaker on our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

are they showers streaming in behind?! am a bit worried that the showers will now miss us as well, teh heavy ones anyway unless they pep up from the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dec 2000?

what a memorable event that was- nearly a foot of snow had accumulated in parts of the northwest by the end of that cold spell.. it may not be prudent to mention polar lows in the current setup but at the same time it's no harm to dream.

are they showers streaming in behind?! am a bit worried that the showers will now miss us as well, teh heavy ones anyway unless they pep up from the atlantic.

Yes they are the showers behind the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This is a nice alternative to the Sat24 loop, once its loaded up fully you can drag the slider to give a very smooth forward/backward motion. Nicely illustrates the flow coming down from up north. :pac:

That's a good way of checking out the shower activity barreling down after the front, winds look to be almost northerly. Hopefully, they will carrying plenty of the white stuff for after dark later on when temperatures drop and any mild sector has passed through.

LOL , proverbial weather knifeedge there...bookies are sweating now...really messy after 3 days at this stage, so much for computerised modelling - Nature making sure she ain't giving up without a fight....

yeah the way it's going we could get snow when we least expect it out of this cold spell rather than when it's forecasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Yes they are the showers behind the front.

I have a feeling that this front coming down from the north is going to miss most of Ireland except the north-east,east and head into Britain instead. :(

Dan

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

are those bits of precipitation over ireland passing showers or remnants of the front?

7C here and rising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

this whole event looks like turning into a big "mess"
    going to be localised by the look of it,remember the snow earlier this year,i got a dusting here in trim and 8 miles up the road in athboy there was about 5 inches of lovely white stuff

week and a half of this now,can't wait till this is all over and i get my normal life back :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement