Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (19/12/09) (Band of Sleet to Snow to push south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Shannon at 6 degrees as of 4pm. not looking good for us in midwest anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cold but no snow in Kerry....Rain though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Where are you reading that? sounds well out given the nra at dungarvan was reporting 4.6c at 3pm.

Here its now 2.3c air 0.7c dp

Urban area, right in the city. It has gone down to 7c now.

Nice one Owen, looks like the colder air is moving back in fast!

I guess thats the back edge snow? So hopefully with temps dropping due to nightfall that edge could get wider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

its 6 c in shannon i hope it drops alot :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Nice one Owen, looks like the colder air is moving back in fast!

yes its dropping very fast the temp was 2.7c an hour ago now its 0.8c! more snow showers coming now.. not showing as snow but it is. alot more snow showers behind this!:D

For anyone wondering why the radar output on Raintoday is all blue in NI when there is some snow in there its because the radar doesnt actually know if its snow or rain, it's just estimating the type of weather based on what was predicted for that particular time.
    So blue doesn't have to mean snow.

Urban area, right in the city. It has gone down to 7c now.
    I'd imagine it's a badly located thermometer though too though back garden? near a wall where steam from the kitchen or someone else kitchen is venting ? :D

meanwhile the front looks píss poor to me and the showers behind it nothing to write home about so far..

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Anyone else feeling this is a bit disapointing.
    1. it looks like most of it will fall as rain
    2. seems very inactive for a front that has been steaming down across the atlantic
    3. the showers after it dont look particularly beefy
    4. for the start of next week the upper air temps are marginal for snow
    5. this cold spell could end up as just a cool dry week.

ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Very doleful looking now out there. Heavy cloud lowering all the time with no wind. Smokey mist around town too. Kinda portentous looking. :eek:

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    yes its dropping very fast the temp was 2.7c an hour ago now its 0.8c! more snow showers coming now.. not showing as snow but it is. alot more snow showers behind this!:D
    Owen,from the radar it looks like what you are having is the patchy precip from the back end of the front still ie back edge snow :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temps have suddenly started to rise here now as high level cloud moves in from the north west. 3.0c DP 1.6c :( Was 2.4c 15 mins ago.

Owen,from the radar it looks like what you are having is the patchy precip from the back end of the front still ie back edge snow :D

yes sure is fun business starts now!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

In Maynooth, it's gone from 6C to 4.1C in the last 20 minutes. Good bit of cloud coming in on a very chilly breeze, and the sky is filling up with those ragged-edged low clouds. I am hopeful.

owenc wrote: »

I don't trust that UK rain today radar for snow tbh. I have read a lot of reports that it rains where it shows snow and vice versa.

Anyway, glad you are rightfully seeing some snow, I kinda knew you would. The is no place in Ireland like the north for big snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temps have suddenly started to rise here now as high level cloud moves in from the north west. 3.0c DP 1.6c :( Was 2.4c 15 mins ago.

All as expected.

Lets hope the band is intense, rain in Dublin by 7pm, snow by 830pm by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MUSEIST wrote: »
    2. seems very inactive for a front that has been steaming down across the atlantic

ah well

all so negative :( again around here! perhaps the atlantic will pep up those showers. things can change very fast - that front was all rain this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

all so negative :( again around here! perhaps the atlantic will pep up those showers. things can change very fast - that front was all rain this morning!

to be fair that front is pathetic and those showers will only affect the extreme west and north

I am not trying to be negative but it seems as this will disapoint, sorry (hope i'm wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Any good news for cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

to be fair that front is pathetic and those showers will only affect the extreme west and north

I am not trying to be negative but it seems as this will disapoint, sorry (hope i'm wrong)
    The band doesnt look pathertc to me, difficult to read on raintoday cos of the stupid preciptype thing alright.

• Advertisement

I guess thats the back edge snow? So hopefully with temps dropping due to nightfall that edge could get wider?

I think that is the general consensus Maq, although defo a now cast from here on. Altitude and percipitation strength wiill be the major factors from here on in (of which I will have neither :mad:)

Here, winds have backed a little to the West but temp remains at 4c, neither rising or falling at the moment. A very fine mist is beginning to fall. Notably, pressure is falling quite rapidly, now at 1009.1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

gothwalk wrote: »
    In Maynooth, it's gone from 6C to 4.1C in the last 20 minutes. Good bit of cloud coming in on a very chilly breeze, and the sky is filling up with those ragged-edged low clouds. I am hopeful.

Well, hello neighbour :-)
    I'm reading 3C in Castledawson area now, and those clouds sure have some speed in the sky, I'm surprised it's so quiet on the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

19 December 2009 15:46
    Today Outbreaks of rain and sleet with snow on the high ground will spread southwards across the country this evening. Clear spells and scattered wintry showers will follow tonight, the showers mainly over Northern and Western parts with some accumulations of snow likely. Minimum temperatures of 0 to -4 degrees leading to a severe frost and icy stretches.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday, will be a very cold and windy day with a mixture of sunny spells and heavy hail or snow showers. The showers will be most frequent over Ulster, Connacht and West Munster, they will be more scattered in the midlands; and parts of the south and southeast will be mainly dry with just isolated showers getting through. Highest temperatures just 1 to 4 degrees and feeling particularly cold in the strong northwesterly wind.

All as expected.

Lets hope the band is intense, rain in Dublin by 7pm, snow by 830pm by the looks of things.
    I'm actually heading up onto my local mountain 2000ft asl at about 8 tonight ,sledge in tow...
    It's the usual one..
    Do you think I'll need a rain coat or a snow coat ? :D

Rhethorical..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Sky is black here black and heavy and the mournes have disappeared from view. Very ominous looking.

"Only the extreme west and north?" I am pretty sure if they were going to be effecting the extreme east it would be a totally different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

met eireann have done their 6pm regional update for munster at 4 40pm! some going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ah well

I've been haging around this forum for long enough now to learn to take what you read in these threads with a pinch of salt (I know goes you are only interpriting charts/model outputs as you get them, so dont shoot me!) and thus I dont get dissapointed when the event goes wrong or doesnt pan out as planned. Believe it when you see it is my philosophy! :P

Anyway, the bit of snow we had has thawed, the temp is 2.7c and DP of 1.3c........wont be getting snow from that me thinks.

It has been fairly disappointing overall so far. The easterly never really delievered for us and now the notherly doesn't look like it's going to bring much precipitation and what it does bring might be on the wrong side of marginal for most places....oh well..

But it's Ireland, and this is normal really. :pac:

• Advertisement

could anyone explain to me why the showers keep changing between snow and hail here a bit annoying for a covering..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement