Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner needs help on "Were you.....?"

• 19-12-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I have been learning Irish for only a few months and I am a little stuck on the question "were you.......?" Can someone please help ? For example how would I say:

Were you there ?
    Were you late ?
    Were you walking ?
    Were you ill?
    Were you going ?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Go raibh maith agat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

I have been learning Irish for only a few months and I am a little stuck on the question "were you.......?" Can someone please help ? For example how would I say:

Were you there ?
    Were you late ?
    Were you walking ?
    Were you ill?
    Were you going ?

An raibh tú ansin ?
    An raibh tú mall/déanach ?
    An raibh tú ag siúil ?
    An raibh tú tinn/breoite ?
    An raibh tú ag dul/imeacht ?....depending on context

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi An gal gréine

Thanks a million.

Is that Raibh pronounced RIV ? I don't suppose there is a literal translation of An Raibh ?

Go raibh maith agat

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

I would be fluent and pronounce it "rau", that would be a connemara dialect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

spartan1 wrote: »
    I would be fluent and pronounce it "rau", that would be a connemara dialect

'rev' would cover the more comprehensible dialects ;)

Thanks guys

I'm learning Ulster Irish. I'll ask around after Xmas when we are back at lessons. But that's a great help.

Go raibh maith agat agus Nollaig Shona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

uberwolf wrote: »
    'rev' would cover the more comprehensible dialects ;)

The above would cover a lamentable attitude.

Akin to someone reading a Cecilia Ahern novel because it is more comprehensible than a novel written by John Banville.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

By the way, all those answers that Gal Gréine gave you were assuming that you meant the singular "you". If you were speaking to more than one person, the "tú" becomes "sibh".

An raibh tú ag siúil? - Were you (singular) walking
    An raibh sibh ag siúil? - Were you (plural) walking

etc.

Also, I'd have said "An raibh tú ann?" rather than "An raibh tú ansin?" for "Were you there?"

Flynnboy, the Ulster for 'raibh' would be like "ró" and closer to the Connacht way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

When 'raibh' starts to sound like 'ró' - then you know that you really need to book a holiday down Munster way in the new year gal gréine.:pac:
    Donegal Irish is strictly for comedy purposes.

Comedy....dont you somehow get "clown" out of 'clann' down your neck of the woods ? Nollaig shona.

• Advertisement

Hi

I wasn't aware there had been more replies since the 19th.

This is just to say thanks....... and what's funny about Donegal Irish ? I guess I'd have to be a Southern dialect speaker to know that ;)

Hi

I wasn't aware there had been more replies since the 19th.

This is just to say thanks....... and what's funny about Donegal Irish ? I guess I'd have to be a Southern dialect speaker to know that ;)

I spoke in jest but I suppose I do laugh at it at times thanks to that animated little character that was on the kids programming on TG4 years back. That and CU Burn. Munster Irish has its funny moments too of course. Do tháinig sé - Ní rabhas - N'fheadar etc. And don't get me started on Connemara and their extra letters thrown all over the shop - cliffe (cluiche) and arís agus arís(t) eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

topper75 wrote: »
    And don't get me started on Connemara and their extra letters thrown all over the shop - cliffe (cluiche) and arís agus arís(t) eile.

You should hear it in Rathcairn, we just exaggerate for emphasis. It scares people. " Níl 's 'am",- Níl a fhios agam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Munster Irish folk have nightmares about the moment in the Leaving Cert aural exam when the Donegal Irish bit came on ;)

" Níl 's 'am"

Oh! what a classic. It simultaneously scares me and amuses me. I used to consider these dialects a difficulty, but now I relish them.

littlecat wrote: »
    Munster Irish folk have nightmares about the moment in the Leaving Cert aural exam when the Donegal Irish bit came on ;)

I didn't consider it a nightmare as such. I used to just put down the pen, stretch out the arms and relax for a bit. There might be a crow out the window or something. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

littlecat wrote: »

I thought it was hilarious in my Junior Cert aural exam when my school principal came on and was describing himself as a 14 year old from Conamara!

So, speaking as an ignoramous, is Donegal Irish that different ? Do you know 'Nil cal orm' or is that uniquely Donegal ?

So, speaking as an ignoramous, is Donegal Irish that different ? Do you know 'Nil cal orm' or is that uniquely Donegal ?

The more familiar a strange dialect becomes to the ear the easier it is to follow.
    "Níl caill orm" is also found in Conamara; they hav'nt picked up on it yet down south !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 coileachrua

pog it wrote: »
    The above would cover a lamentable attitude.

Akin to someone reading a Cecilia Ahern novel because it is more comprehensible than a novel written by John Banville.. :)

Lovin' it pog it:D

Advertisement