Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes to get chop from the City of Dreams?

• 19-12-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this should get its own thread cos its potentially big news. The Guardian are reporting that regardless of todays result (a draw) Sparky is exiting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/19/manchester-city-mark-hughes
    Mark Hughes's grip on the manager's job at Manchester City appeared increasingly weak last night amid reports that the club are working to line up a replacement and that the Welshman could be sacked even if City win at home to Sunderland today.

Hughes's position has come under increased scrutiny after Wednesday's 3-0 defeat at Tottenham. The performance and the fact that City have won only once in 10 Premier League matches have heightened the prospect of Hughes losing the job he took in June 2008.

It had been expected Hughes would be granted at least three games – against Sunderland, Stoke City and Wolverhampton Wanderers – to show he remains the man to lead City into the grand era envisaged by their wealthy owners. But there are widespread suggestions that he could be forced out, possibly this weekend, regardless of the outcome against Sunderland. City's owner, Sheikh Mansour, is said to regard a top-four finish as well within the club's grasp in a season when Liverpool look vulnerable. He allowed Hughes to spend lavishly last summer and the manager wants funds to strengthen his defence next month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If it is true, I wonder who they'll get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What I find amazing having just looked at the table is that they have lost less matches than anybody else and even after all the draws and the loss to Spurs, they still have a game in hand that would leave them just 3pts off 4th place.

I was fully ready to come in here and say that Hughes should be gone, but after looking at the table I think maybe he is not doing such a bad job. He just needs to sort that defense out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I read in The Mirror that they are looking at Klinsmann and Hiddink.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Letting Dunne go to Villa or should I say forcing Dunne to go to Villa = Nail in coffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

Managers live and fall by their decisions and Sparky's worst decision was to sell Richard Dunne. Maybe someday he will admit this. I honestly thought he would have been sacked earlier but it's just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

LZ5by5 wrote: »

I stopped reading there. :D

I'd like to see Hughes there until the end of the season. See how the season pans out for him. It's not as if he has been bragging and saying that they're definitely gonna get into the top 4.

A good defence is what City need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

eagle eye wrote: »
    What I find amazing having just looked at the table is that they have lost less matches than anybody else and even after all the draws and the loss to Spurs, they still have a game in hand that would leave them just 3pts off 4th place.

I was fully ready to come in here and say that Hughes should be gone, but after looking at the table I think maybe he is not doing such a bad job. He just needs to sort that defense out.

There was chat about Hiddink but seems he's sticking with Russia.
    I had been thinking that Hughes would get until the summer and Mourinho would come in.

Don't have a huge faith in Hughes's ability to sort out the defence.
    Also there was reports of a dressing-room bust-up after the last game.

As a Pool fan I'm hoping they keep Hughes as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Klinsmann could potentially be comedy gold after hearing some of the new-age stuff he reportedly got up to at Bayern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Darren Ferguson for Citeh. :D

You won't get who you want for the job until the summer time. I think that Mourinho would be everybody's choice, his personality is sorely missed in the Premier League.
    My second choice for the job would be Fabio Capello if he was interested.
    I've got more respect now for Frank Rijkaard than I had when he was at Barcelona, I've seen Galatasaray play a few times and some players who looked finished are now playing magnificent football. I've backed them to win the Europa League at a very nice.;)
    Hiddink is a funny one, I think he much prefers the International set up as he gets more time to himself and I think he sees himself as semi-retired. Again he would be one of those that would certainly be in the running for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, the team has performed very poorly considering the quality there. His use of Ireland has been particuarly bad too imo.

Beyond that, his transfer dealings were just silly. There was no need to buy that many strikers, none at all. They needed a left winger and some quality defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope he stays there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

My money would be on Hiddink or Mourinho, I can see the arabs wanting some sort of big name to go along with their all-star team, thankfully instead of someone like Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They wouldn't get Mourinho. Not a chance he'd go to them. Hiddink I think is never going to go to a rival of Ambrovomich.

If they could get Moyes they'd be bloody lucky. Bloody lucky. Don't think he'd take it though. He's probably holding out for the United job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

PHB wrote: »
    They wouldn't get Mourinho. Not a chance he'd go to them. Hiddink I think is never going to go to a rival of Ambrovomich.

If they could get Moyes they'd be bloody lucky. Bloody lucky. Don't think he'd take it though. He's probably holding out for the United job.
    Though it pains me to say it, I think Moyes would be silly not to take it if he was offered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Letting Dunne go to Villa or should I say forcing Dunne to go to Villa = Nail in coffin

Apparently the owners were the ones that wanted him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Apparently the owners were the ones that wanted him out.

Garry Cook - executive chairman of Manchester City

“China and India are gagging for football content to watch and we’re going to tell them that City is their content. We need a superstar to get through that door. Richard Dunne doesn’t roll off the tongue in Beijing. Ronaldinho brings access to major sponsors and financial reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*[facepalm]*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Do a swap..Hughes for Rafa...Rafa for Hughes:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Poor oul Sparky. How did he get it so wrong with City when he got it so right with B'burn?

I think they should wait personally til the end of the season, but now is not a bad time I suppose considering January will offer a chance to restructure.

Hiddink seems to have publicly rebuffed them. He mustn't have liked how they handled their approach. :)

and Kilnsmann isn't a step up from Hughes. Mancini's name has also been bandied about as taking over in a caretaker role til a higher profile name can be got (i.e. Mourinho :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The defending is shambolic. Toure is a joker and Lescott has been woeful.

Hughes' tactical decisions have been baffling to say the least and will ultimately cost him his job.

PHB wrote: »
    They wouldn't get Mourinho. Not a chance he'd go to them.
    What makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Garry Cook - executive chairman of Manchester City

“China and India are gagging for football content to watch and we’re going to tell them that City is their content. We need a superstar to get through that door. Richard Dunne doesn’t roll off the tongue in Beijing. Ronaldinho brings access to major sponsors and financial reward.

What an idiotic thing for a club's chief executive to say. It's this kind of interference that will hinder City.

I think Hughes should go/be sacked now. Apart from looking pretty clueless tactically, The above comment by Cook typifies the approach of billionaire owners. They want glamour, and Hughes doesn't offer it. Therefore there's always going to be a sense that he's on borrowed time, and this can only be damaging to both him and the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

City statement due at 7 30 this evening. Is it the end of Sparky?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Just announced on soccer saturday that Man city are to make a statment a 7:30.

EDIT : ah, rotinaj got there first :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

city to make a statement this evening according to sky sports just now. seems to be curtains for hughes, i predict robinho to be appointed player-manager.

What time is it over there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

16:45

Xavi6 wrote: »

4:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Xavi6 wrote: »

4.45pm

Cheers lads.

That means it's at 3.30am my time. Lovely.

Mancini the new manager? Thats what I'm hearing but its unconfirmed and not at all from a reliable source.

Mancini the new manager? Thats what I'm hearing but its unconfirmed and not at all from a reliable source.

cant remember where i heard this but am i right in saying he is at the game today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

he's there watching the game anyway

Knowing us it'll just be the announcing of a new 5 year deal for Hughes :pac:

• Advertisement

cant remember where i heard this but am i right in saying he is at the game today?
    Yes I was told that too.

Imo Mancini as manager would be a step backwards, I don't rate him at all, Hughes>>>>>>>>>>Mancini

Imo Mancini as manager would be a step backwards, I don't rate him at all, Hughes>>>>>>>>>>Mancini

Can I ask what that is based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

??? I just don't see that at all. What makes Hughes the better manager?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There must be another manager lined up then so...

Could it be?
    Darren Ferguson for Citeh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yea, moving to a manager who has actually won something as a manager, has a much higher win rate, going backwards all right.

Hughes clapped the fans after the game. Manchester radio saying it looked like a farewell.

Queue City announcing that his job is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Hughesy just walked onto the pitch and gave a big farewell wave.
    Poor chap doesnt deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Just walked back onto the pitch looked like he was waving goodbye. Statement expected shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

see you Sparky.

mancini would be a very accomplished replacement.

he's one of the few proven managers available out there, and i would have accepted him replacing Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mancini has signed a 3 year contract at £3.5 million per year.

Mark Hughes was on the pitch waving goodbye at the final whistle today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Hmm not sure what to make of this yet, lets see what transpires at 7.30.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Mancini has signed a 3 year contract at £3.5 million per year.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Bit harsh by the sounds of it, though probably for the best... Hopefully Sparky will do well at his next club (and finish ahead of city :P)

• Advertisement
Advertisement