Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes to get chop from the City of Dreams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hughes clapped the fans after the game. Manchester radio saying it looked like a farewell.

Queue City announcing that his job is safe.

Do you want Hughes out Xavi?

Bit harsh by the sounds of it, though probably for the best... Hopefully Sparky will do well at his next club (and finish ahead of city :P)

Hughes for Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hey, tell Mancini to feck off, and get Roy Hodgson in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That_Guy wrote: »
    Do you want Hughes out Xavi?

I really like Hughes as a person. Love listening to him speak and his interviews are genuine.

However, his tactical decisions have been questionable to say the least and the defence is a shambles. Toure and Lescott were poor signings. I was ok with Dunne going provided the replacements were an upgrade. They haven't been.

If it wasn't for Tevez and Bellamy we'd be fecked right now.

To answer your question, I don't *want* him to go but I can see why it would happen.

I really like Hughes as a person. Love listening to him speak and his interviews are genuine.

+1 on this. He does have a good manner about him and is very humble.

7:30pm the statement is according to SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Headshot wrote: »
    I hope he stays there anyway

Me too. He's the only thing holding them back from becoming a dominate force in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Apparently Giulio Nuciari will be coming in as his right hand man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Obviously I hold Sparky in high regard but his results at City have not been good enough, City gave him a fair chance to prove himself, unfortunately he has fallen short, I don't think he can have any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

It wouldn't surprise me if Mancini (if it is him) did a worse job than Hughes. The City job is a poisoned chalice. Whoever takes over is fcuked. It's not like Chelsea when Mourinho took over. Before that Chelsea were challenging for the league anyway. City are still dodgy and their owners expect them to be challenging right away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fairly classless from city to announce a press conference while the match was going on.

hughes should just tell them to fúck off.

What has Mancini achieved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »

league titles and cups at Inter, cups at Fiorentina

de facto leagues at inter tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ACF Fiorentina
    Coppa Italia: 2000–01
    S.S. Lazio
    Coppa Italia: 2003–04
    F.C. Internazionale Milano
    Serie A: 2005-06; 2006-07; 2007-08
    Coppa Italia: 2004–05; 2005–06

A fair bit more than sparky by the looks of it.

Fairly classless from city to announce a press conference while the match was going on.

hughes should just tell them to fúck off.

You are of course presuming that the press conference is to announce Hughes' departure....

You are of course presuming that the press conference is to announce Hughes' departure....

Heh, you're right, I am.

But it's hardly a secret any more.

Still though, what owner of a football club announces a press conference while a match is ongoing? No matter the subject of said press conference.

Why were they not watching the match?

It's no way to run a club, in fact, it's very silly.

The club owners, and that means the club, have behaved scandalously. I'd be worried if I was a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

From BBC Sport
    Breaking news: Manchester City have confirmed manager Mark Hughes will not carry out his normal post-match media duties this evening. Oh just tell us, for heaven's sake.

Heh, you're right, I am.

But it's hardly a secret any more.

Still though, what owner of a football club announces a press conference while a match is ongoing? No matter the subject of said press conference.

Why were they not watching the match?

It's no way to run a club, in fact, it's very silly.

The club owners, and that means the club, have behaved scandalously. I'd be worried if I was a fan.

I'm more worried about the £40 million worth of centre halves that can't defend to save their lives. Both bought by Hughes.

As I said, I like him as a person, but it's just not been good enough. Wins over Arsenal and Chelsea are sugar coating mediocrity.

When you spend that much then you have to deliver. We haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

It would be hilarious if the announcement was that Hughes had signed a new 5 year contract or owt like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm more worried about the £40 million worth of centre halves that can't defend to save their lives. Both bought by Hughes.

As I said, I like him as a person, but it's just not been good enough. Wins over Arsenal and Chelsea are sugar coating mediocrity.

When you spend that much then you have to deliver. We haven't.
    Lescott proved last season he could defend adequately in a team that spent large parts under the cosh. For whatever reason, Hughes hasn't got that from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mancini is a better manager than Hughes. Maybe the Inter title wins were de facto wins, but its still higher than Hughes has ever managed. He had his shot here but has messed it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

PHB wrote: »
    Mancini is a better manager than Hughes. Maybe the Inter title wins were de facto wins, but its still higher than Hughes has ever managed. He had his shot here but has messed it up.

Off to Liverpool he goes so :cool:

SSN are reporting it's definite now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think it's a step in the right direction for city.

It's on sky sports that he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

He's gone.

Bowen just confirmed it on Greater Manchester Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Richard Dunne must be breaking his bollocks laughing. Still a daft decision though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Richard Dunne must be breaking his bollocks laughing. Still a daft decision though.

Ah no. Dunney's a nice young fella.

Just announced on ESPN too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not surprised.

fúcking hell.

Toure was pulled out of the dressing room and told hughes was going, and was told to tell the players.

As I said earlier, totally classless on the part of the club.

fúcking hell.

Toure was pulled out of the dressing room and told hughes was going, and was told to tell the players.

Happened at half time as well apparently. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

fúcking hell.

That sort of treatment is just plain wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Sorry to see him go,he's managed to do a good job with all those egos on the pitch and all the pressure off it.
    A shame to see him go, it's a mistake firing him/him walking/whichever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

What a joke, Man City may be new money but thankfully still retain their shambolic character for our amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

City powers that be leave a bad taste in the mouth. 2 games sparky has lost in the league this season and he has them in the semi final of the fizzy cup. He hasnt really done a whole lot wrong. Mancini is a bad choice , id win inter the league for chri$t sake!..italian league is like the scottish league now.

Pool should go all out to get sparky imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Where are ya getting this info from?

If thats the case I'd have to agree it should have been handled with a lot more sensitivity. Who will we get? Mancini? will it only be a caretaker role to wait for Mourinho?. Over at Bluemoon it's pandemonium with rumour and speculation that he has resigned from Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

It's been handled extremely poorly.

City should done this in a much more professional way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Xavi how much will Hughes pocket from being sacked? Deserves it all imo.

From BBC -
    1831: BREAKING NEWS: Manchester City have confirmed the sacking of manager Mark Hughes, and announced the appointment of Roberto Mancini as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Rome wasnt built in a day. Bad decision imo. Still dont think id like Hughes at Liverpool though.

• Advertisement

Now confirmed on the official website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What a joke.

It is pretty classless alright, shame but there may well be a job going soon up that end of the country, not sure if I would be happy with it but I am sure he will be considered :)

yup, Mancini & Kidd confirmed it seems.

http://backpagefootball.com/info/premier-league/hughes-out-mancini-in-at-city/
    Hughes out, Mancini in at City

Manchester City have sensationally parted company with manager Mark Hughes just hours after they defeated Sunderland 4-3 at the City of Manchester Stadium.

The Welshman is to be replaced by former Internazionale boss Roberto Mancini, who was spotted in the crowd at today’s game, effective immediately.

City owner Sheikh Mansour is believed to be unhappy at the club’s recent results that included a run of eight consecutive draws.

In a statement issued on the club’s website, chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “Prior to the current season beginning, with significant investment in players and infrastructure in place, the consensus between the Board and coaching staff was that appropriate agreed targets should be set for the 2009/2010 season.

“The targets were agreed as a result of the player acquisition strategy of the club being radically accelerated in the summer as a result of very favourable conditions for any buying club. It was also based on the fact that the infrastructure of the club had been overhauled completely at great cost in order to create the best possible environment for the team.

“A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed and set. Sheikh Mansour and the Board felt that there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change. This is a particularly difficult announcement given the personal investment over the past 15 months on all sides and we would like to put on record our respect for and thanks to Mark Hughes and we wish him the best in his future career.”

Mancini has signed a three year deal at the City of Manchester Stadium having previously won three Serie A titles at the San Siro with Inter.

Former City and Manchester United player Brian Kidd has been confirmed as Mancini’s assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Saw it on BBC Sport, shocked is the only word I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Brian Kidd.... the United fans will have great fun with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

mancini has stated the first thing he is going to be working on at City is corner kicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MZh-Yq7N0

Voltwad wrote: »
    Brian Kidd.... the United fans will have great fun with that

He also played for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

bit ****ty on sparky but its a sign of the times of the modern game i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

what a joke. he has lost 2 games ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Feel sorry for Mark, Red Legend. But not surprised. Hope he finds a better club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement