Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes to get chop from the City of Dreams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm the forgiving kind, sack Allardyce immediately and bring back Sparky to Blackburn.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CHD wrote: »
    Xavi how much will Hughes pocket from being sacked? Deserves it all imo.

No idea but it will be a tidy amount. Loose change to the owners though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

prendy wrote: »
    he has lost 2 games ffs.

That means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

happy christmas mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Feel sorry for Hughes but i put a bet on in the bookies last week that he'd be gone before Rafa so happy day's.

Press conference unveiling Mancini to take place at 4.30pm on Monday apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

FFS thats a joke, what do man city fans make of it??

Cant believe they gave him so much money to build a team and then they sack him after a such a short period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Hughes but i put a bet on in the bookies last week that he'd be gone before Rafa so happy day's.

What odds did you get on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I liked Hughes also, I think he should at least have been given to the end of the season, his target was set as a top six finish and he was on for that. However, there were serious flaws with his tactics and the results were just not going his way. He was given £200mil plus to spend and if you don't get results after that level of investment then your position will of course be tenuous.

Should have been handled better of course of that I will not argue, but I also think it's a bit rich Chelsea fans giving City stick over this & when all teh dust settles it won't affect my support for the team.

Wonder now what players will lose out on this? Ireland? Robinho? Prob a big name signing in January..

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Wonder now what players will lose out on this? Ireland? Robinho? Prob a big name signing in January..

Ireland? I doubt it, he's one of teh most gifted players at the club.

Ireland? I doubt it, he's one of teh most gifted players at the club.

Yeah I agree but he is having a poor season (2 goals 1 assist so far) compared to last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Des wrote: »
    fúcking hell.

Toure was pulled out of the dressing room and told hughes was going, and was told to tell the players.

As I said earlier, totally classless on the part of the club.

I am stunned that something like this could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mancini, eh? A step sideways in my opinion. Three titles with Inter

1) Awarded in court
    2) With their opposition all deducted points
    3) On the last day, with their chief opposition in their first year from Serie B.

Hiddink is where they should have gone, or Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Wikipedia wrote: »
    He is the manager of English Premier League team Manchester City, he is a massive man so he was appointed or the massive job at a massive club.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Mancini, eh? A step sideways in my opinion. Three titles with Inter

1) Awarded in court
    2) With their opposition all deducted points
    3) On the last day, with their chief opposition in their first year from Serie B.

Hiddink is where they should have gone, or Grant.

+1

Mancini is a very, very risky decision on the part of the owners

Totally unproven and untested in the English game and a lightweight in the champions league

Hughes should have been given until at the very least the end of the season for the real acid test

A total joke

and i'm a Manchester united supporter

Yeah I agree but he is having a poor season (2 goals 1 assist so far) compared to last season.

Agreed Kev, however Hughes had him playing a much deeper role this season and it stifled his effectiveness.

Regarding Hiddink, I agree I would rather have him but there was no way Abramovich would have allowed that to happen. Mancini will probably not last the distance either and the board is most likely after a long term manager like Wenger or Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I am stunned that something like this could happen.

The sad thing is that this stuf isnt shocking anymore :( . I think he should have been given a bit longer at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The sad thing is that this stuf isnt shocking anymore :( . I think he should have been given a bit longer at least.

It shocks me to be honest. Telling Toure at half time to tell the rest of the team is so ****ing low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I can't get the image of Hughes mockingly waving at Arsene Wenger a couple of weeks ago :p

Slightly surprised he has gone, but suppose when you are putting that amount into a club you want to see a return.

Wonder if we will see City spend big in Jan?

It shocks me to be honest. Telling Toure at half time to tell the rest of the team is so ****ing low.
    It seems like a crazy thing to do from every point of view, they were winning 3-2 at that time. It could have had an adverse affect on team moral. I can't think of any good reason to tell them during a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm more worried about the £40 million worth of centre halves that can't defend to save their lives. Both bought by Hughes.
    Did Hughes actually have the final say on which players were signed though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cheap, is what it is. A complete lack of class.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Cheap, is what it is. A complete lack of class.

I think this has now been rubbished by the players. Thankfully so as it would have been classless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I can't get the image of Hughes mockingly waving at Arsene Wenger a couple of weeks ago :p

yep Hughes will no doubt be feeling a little embarrassed now after that little stunt, and this is also quite humiliating for him after declaring at the start of the season he would "knock united off their perch" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

If he ever gets another job as a manager he will actually get a lot more respect than what he got at city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

article-1259828138997-0771546F000005DC-468100_636x300.jpg

I wonder who had the last laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sparky's biggest mistake was getting rid of Dunne - their defence have been shambolic of late. Sad to see him go though... 18 months is a short time in football to try & break into the top 4.

The owner might be loaded, but he obviously doesn't understand football - expecting instant results by throwing money at a team never works.

Well, at least City don't have the cash problems Fiorentina had when Mancini was manager, so he won't he expected to play any games himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

yep Hughes will no doubt be feeling a little embarrassed now after that little stunt, and this is also quite humiliating for him after declaring at the start of the season he would "knock united off their perch" :D

In fairness, he was "out of his tree" when he said that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Headshot wrote: »

Who is that circled?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Who is that circled?

Arsene Wenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

this italian stallion will just buy old inter players like al stankovic and javier "old" zanetti!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bryanjf wrote: »
    +1

Mancini is a very, very risky decision on the part of the owners

Totally unproven and untested in the English game

not sure what that has to do with anything, so was wenger, so was ferguson, so was Mourinho when he first came to chelsea; tried and tested in england hasn't worked so far for city re: Joe Royle, Keegan, hughes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

wonder will we start seeing Kompany and Onuoha now?

Headshot wrote: »

Whats that about? Thats a pathetic post, Wenger lost a game and wouldn't shake hands. Mark Hughes has always been a gentleman.

Wenger lost both as a manager in a game and as a person on that day.
    Wenger didn't do anything either to hasten Hughes' departure, if anything he slowed it down, his team did lose there.

So please tell me what he has to laugh about?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Whats that about? Thats a pathetic post, Wenger lost a game and wouldn't shake hands. Mark Hughes has always been a gentleman.

Wenger lost both as a manager in a game and as a person on that day.
    Wenger didn't do anything either to hasten Hughe's departure, if anything he slowed it down, his team did lose there.

Did you watch Hughes during the game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Did you watch Hughes during the game ;)

Wenger was at fault there.. bad loser. Hughes is a thorough gent. Wenger would want to worry about his own team , after all how many years is it since he won a trophy...4 years?...think sparky was still playing then !:D

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

BERBA wrote: »
    Wenger was at fault there.. bad loser. Hughes is a thorough gent. Wenger would want to worry about his own team , after all how many years is it since he won a trophy...4 years?...think sparky was still playing then !:D

COYS

slightly less than the last time huges won a medal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a feeling this move by City is going to backfire spectacularly. Can't see Mancini inspiring the players at the club.

• Advertisement

This is all very shameful, and a horrible way to go about things.

Mancini better hit the ground running.

The January transfer window will be very interesting from a City point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

oh please let it be ireland!! please...

and am i the only one that still thinks city were wrong to sack sven when they did? and now this? this is interesting to say the least, what will become of mancini if he doesnt have instant success? should he be installed as the favourite for next manager in the EPL to be sacked???

lets be honest, we all knew hughes wouldnt be around for long. and most of his signings were probably not even his signings to begin with so its no massive surprise..i mean it hardly takes a genius to sign robinho, tevez, lescott et al

Came across an interesting stat today -

1936-37...Pl 15..W 4..D 6..L 5..F 29..A 24..18Pts
    1967-68...Pl 15..W 8..D 2..L 5..F 27..A 17..26Pts
    2009-10...Pl 15..W 6..D 8..L 1..F 29..A 21..26Pts
    (All wins adjusted to 3pts)

Makes you think a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Came across an interesting stat today -

1936-37...Pl 15..W 4..D 6..L 5..F 29..A 24..18Pts
    1967-68...Pl 15..W 8..D 2..L 5..F 27..A 17..26Pts
    2009-10...Pl 15..W 6..D 8..L 1..F 29..A 21..26Pts
    (All wins adjusted to 3pts)

Makes you think a bit.

ya it makes me think what on earth is meant by this post?? im lost

mormank wrote: »
    ya it makes me think what on earth is meant by this post?? im lost

City won the league in 1936-37 and 1967-68.

Yeah Xavi, interesting alright. Here is another one for you and pretty similar too.

1993-94 Blackburn Rovers P17 W8 D5 L4 F22 A16 Pts 29.

We finished 2nd that year and won it the next year.

I have a feeling this is going to completely split the playing group. The likes of Bellamy, Given and Ireland were very vocal in their admiration for the Hughes regime and won't be happy with this.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6962674.ece
    Roberto Mancini replaces Mark Hughes at Manchester City despite player revolt

MANCHESTER CITY sacked Mark Hughes and appointed Roberto Mancini as their new manager on a day which, even by the standards of the club concerned, involved copious soap opera and farce.

Mancini, inset, a three-time winner of Serie A when boss of Inter Milan, agreed a contract to take charge of City worth £3m net per year, one of the most lucrative deals ever handed to a British club manager. The contract will run until 2013 though there is speculation — denied by Mancini’s camp — that it can be broken after six months, should the Italian fail to pilot City to a top four finish. “I’m very happy and motivated for this new adventure,” said Mancini, whose assistant will be former Manchester United No 2, Brian Kidd. “I’m convinced I can do well.”

The Italian is thought to have finalised his agreement after a clandestine meeting with the City chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, in London last Monday and he will be unveiled at a press conference at Eastlands tomorrow. The management change was announced by City at 6.30pm yesterday despite an 11th-hour attempt by City’s players to prevent Hughes being ditched.

The Welshman confirmed his departure to players amid emotional scenes in the City dressing room following a 4-3 home win against Sunderland, thanking them for their efforts during his 18-month tenure. This prompted a deputation of players led by Shay Given to march to the boardroom to confront Khaldoon and try to persuade him that Hughes should keep his job. They failed.

Some of the squad are thought to have known Hughes’ fate before the game, as did Hughes himself, while the hiring of Mancini emerged in the Italian media yesterday lunchtime. News also filtered to supporters before full-time, contributing to a bizarre atmosphere in match which brought City a third consecutive home win and moved the club up to sixth place in the Premier League.

Khaldoon, who represents Sheikh Mansour, the billionaire Abu Dhabi royal who owns City, sanctioned a change of manager last month after a run of seven consecutive league draws and first met with Mancini on December 3 but delayed appointing the Italian after Hughes masterminded wins over Arsenal and Chelsea.Wednesday’s abject defeat at Tottenham, however, sealed Hughes’ fate. Garry Cook, City’s chief executive and the club’s football administrator, Brian Marwood were thought to be influential in persuading Khaldoon that a change was necessary. Khaldoon said: “A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed.”

Ivan Carminati, an England fitness coach under Sven-Göran Eriksson, will join Mancini’s backroom team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It's a weird decision to comprehend,I mean,I wonder what REALLY swayed our chairman Al Mubarak,I know he said 2 wins in 11 is not acceptable so he had to go,but surely there we could have got better then Mancini? Fair ehough theres not many free managers around at the moment but we could have waited.I dunno this whole decision is shameful on the club as a whole.

It'll be interesting to see how January goes for us.I can see the likes of Stankovic,Zanetti maybe Vieira being linked with us but I'm more interested in seeing who leaves if anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

:eek:

Apparently Mancini wants Torres,Mascherano,Franck Ribery,Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria, Yaya Toure and Henry. (The Sunday Times)

If and it is a very big if, how long till the manseurs decide they are board and withdraw funding? City would be fahooked.

Advertisement