Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading XPS600

Options
  • 19-12-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

HI
    I am looking to upgrade my Dell XPS600. Well memory and grapic cards. Specs at moment. Processors PD, 840 (3.20GHZ) 2X1MB / Memory 1024MB (2X512) 533MH / Graphics cads 7800gtx 256mb x2.
    Any help would be great.
    Declan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Step 1) Buy a new PC.

That's pretty much it.

Dell + Upgrade = Bad idea. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

This is only my backup pc. I have a XPS 730. I have the XPS600 in work. Want to be able to play cod 6 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

f1refox wrote: »
    HI
    I am looking to upgrade my Dell XPS600. Well memory and grapic cards. Specs at moment. Processors PD, 840 (3.20GHZ) 2X1MB / Memory 1024MB (2X512) 533MH / Graphics cads 7800gtx 256mb x2.
    Any help would be great.
    Declan

according to the interwebs the XPS600 came with a 650W psu so you should be good for a gfx card upgrade so.....

Post up a budget for the gfx card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

screw the card, its fine for COD6 on medium with no AA. get 2GB of ram instead of 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I have a thread about upgrading my Dell xps210. I doubt you will want to read it though, I gutted the computer and just reused the HDD and CPU :o

Dells are not friendly when it comes to big upgrades. Ram and a new HDD is one thing but a new PSU,GPU,CPU and cooler? Just wont work in most dell cases.

The CPU will choke any decent video card, and it cant be upgraded to anything good

(I think only other pentium dual-cores/celerons)
    Those motherboards cant support any core2duo chips so you are stuck with pentium Ds and those aren't great.

If you are desperate.. you should be able to put two nvidia 8800GTs in there, but that would really be pushing the cpu. The cards would also require a power supply upgrade.

Most painless route? A new computer.
    You could upgrade the computer to the best pentium dual-core available and then two good old cards(8800GT/GTS). Then add a better power supply to the computer too. But I doubt that would be able to push MW2 very far. Your problem is the CPU, if you could get a core2duo onto it you would have a good chance of upgrading. But without them you really cant do much better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ok seriously guys.

i have mw2 running here in an internet cafe on a 7900GS 256mb just fine with 2GB ram. The game doesnt require a powerful card to run it. I'm telling ya, 2GB of ram instead of 1GB will spruce things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I thought it was built off a more demanding engine :confused: I could run CoD4 on a 1300Pro decently but I assumed MW2 was a bigger hog. How much more performance are you looking for fox?

Some great advice people. What do you think of this ram http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_DDR2_PC2_5300_Team_Elite-5_5_5_15-Dual_Channel_kit/index.html . I am running Windows 7 64bit.

I thought it was built off a more demanding engine :confused: I could run CoD4 on a 1300Pro decently but I assumed MW2 was a bigger hog. How much more performance are you looking for fox?

PC spec is near identical to COD4. Just a little higher CPU and RAM, GPU is the same. MW2 runs better on these PCs than COD4.

f1refox wrote: »
    Some great advice people. What do you think of this ram http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_DDR2_PC2_5300_Team_Elite-5_5_5_15-Dual_Channel_kit/index.html . I am running Windows 7 64bit.

according to the tech spec sheet on dell, your pc can only utilize of 2GB max of DDR2 RAM (533mhz and 667mhz), so 2x1GB PC5300 ram would suffice

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312372

• Advertisement

Dell XPS 600

Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)
    Max. Memory: 8192MB
    Installed Memory: 512MB removable

Komplett's say it will take 8gig. Are you sure it will only take 2gig?.

Up to 2GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz, 2 or 4 DIMMs)
    Up to 2GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz, 2 or 4 DIMMs)

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/dimen/topics/en/dimen_xps600_sp_specs?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think thats the spec you could buy it with. Not the max ram you can put in it. everywhere else I've checked says 8GB. Personally I trust the other sites more than Dell.

Maximum RAM: 8GB
    Standard RAM: 512MB
    Fixed RAM: 0MB
    Speed of RAM: PC2-4200
    # Banks: 2
    # Sockets: 4
    Chipset: Intel 945G

That PC seems like a decent spec to me. I'd just uprade the ram to 4GB and see how it goes. I'd say it would play ok. I play COD4 on a DualCore2 2Ghz, 2GB ram and a 7900GT (in a laptop). Does 1440x900 fine. If you wanted a higher res then get a better gfx card too.

Advertisement