Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google sketch up for cnc cutter

Options
  • 19-12-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I have no formal experience with CAD packages.
    I was playing around with Google sketchup drawing up 2d plans for mainly hobby stuff, What would I need to convert these plans to cutting plans for a small hobby cnc Router or plasma cutter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sketch up isn't a 2D package, nor is it a very accurate one.
    you'd be better off with autocad or similar.

As for a CNC router or plasma cutter ,that would depend on the software controlling the machine. if any standard drawing format was going to work it would be *.dxf or *.dwg
    sketch up can export in these formats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I was looking at doing an evening autocad course ( should have more time next year), I’m not too worried about accreditations and qualifications, its just for my own interest really. I would like to eventually incorporate a CNC Plasma cutter into a business idea I have.

I found the discussion forums and tutorials for sketchup very helpful in learning the basics.
    I understand it’s not a fully fledged Cad package, it’s just for sketching.
    Why do you think it’s not accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spadder wrote: »
    I was looking at doing an evening autocad course ( should have more time next year), I’m not too worried about accreditations and qualifications, its just for my own interest really. I would like to eventually incorporate a CNC Plasma cutter into a business idea I have.
    I'm pretty much self thought in a number of cad packages. And, I've also seen the course material for a well regarded CAD course, and to be honest, you'd be better off just trying to pick it up yourself, a lot of the course material is pointless.
    I found the discussion forums and tutorials for sketchup very helpful in learning the basics.
    I understand it’s not a fully fledged Cad package, it’s just for sketching.
    Why do you think it’s not accurate?
    It's nothign to do with being fully fledge or otherwise.
    It's a basic 3D package. and it is very useful, but its not a 2D package.
    Using it for 2D is really a bad idea.

and the reason I don't think its accurate, is because it isn't. It's basic controls are built around being fast, not accurate. A regular cad user would spot this much quicker than a layperson (plus the fact that sketch up is also designed to hide these inaccuracies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Yeah, sketchup's great but it's not a 2d package and it's certainly not as accurate as Autocad or the likes.

Best bet is to get a copy of autocad or similar and do tutorials or get a cad for dummies book. Loads online and you'd be suprised how quickly you'll pick it up-especially if you're not doing anything extravagant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm pretty much self thought in a number of cad packages. And, I've also seen the course material for a well regarded CAD course, and to be honest, you'd be better off just trying to pick it up yourself, a lot of the course material is pointless.

It's nothign to do with being fully fledge or otherwise.
    It's a basic 3D package. and it is very useful, but its not a 2D package.
    Using it for 2D is really a bad idea.

and the reason I don't think its accurate, is because it isn't. It's basic controls are built around being fast, not accurate. A regular cad user would spot this much quicker than a layperson (plus the fact that sketch up is also designed to hide these inaccuracies)

sketch-up is ok for quick rough layouts.. and impossible to do an accurate 2d layout on.. i used it for the first time 7 years ago i tought it was the best thing since slice bread!!

then i started using autocad and have not looked back since,

well untill last week and i tought id try something in it,
    it was horrible to use, i was more frustrated by what it couldnt do compared to the few good qualitles it has..

needless to say i'll be sticking to my 2010 autocad! the 3d in this program is amazing and its a lot faster then the older versions with the new ways to edit solid models

• Advertisement
Advertisement