Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 - twenty ten or two thousand and ten

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Why do yanks remove the and?

Extremely annoying.

When speaking in numbers and mathematics, "and" is equivalent to a decimal place.

Two thousand nine = 2009
    Two thousand and nine = 2000.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone say Twenty Ten in public or on TV yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

gerry28 wrote: »
    2 thousand and 10

I never really caught on to calling this decade the naughties.

What did the people of the 1900 to 1909 call that decade.

Is anyone's granny or granda old enough to ask??

Nineteen-hundred and nine. Yes, I am that old! Well really; "My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles." Furthermore I also worked as a strike breaker; "We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
    Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."
    Anyway; "Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Late Late Linky

Ah, but neither said it on it's own - we'll see.

I hear people saying 'Two Thousand N' Ten' all the time and I think that's the way it will be said by 99% of people.

'Twenty Ten' sounds obnoxious.

Time will tell I guess.

Advertisement