Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing the Recycling Centre. Whats the point in that?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I see their closing the recycling centre in Carlow town in the new year. That place was very handy, I could just about manage to recycle 90% of my stuff there, the rest I just tag a bagged. I saved a fortune in bin charges.

I know there is a recycling centre out int the powerstown landfill centre, but thats way more of a drive (petrol cost), not as efficient, and a hell of a lot more smelly. Basically not worth the trip.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason they closed the centre in town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I don't know the reason its closing but in regards of your bin charges. If you get a small bin from Ray Whelan, its collected every week for €23 (i think) a month and you get a large recycling bin for free. The recycling is collected every 2nd week. IMO, its alot handier and tidier than collecting all your recycling until you've enough for a full load and then heading off to the recycling center yourself.

If €23 a month is too expensive, they may allow you to buy tags for your bin so you just have to pay per lift. Not sure about that one though. You'll have to ask in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

think they charge €14 for a once a month collection,but you must pay at least once a month. this would suit the larger bins better as you can dump more for your money.

do you mean the bottle bank in the town centre car park or the recycling place in Kernanstown? the carpark one was great and very handy but people are too fond of using it as a dumping ground for all their rubbish so would not be surprised if this was closing!

as for Kernanstown recycling centre it may not be busy enough to pay for itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I don't know the reason its closing but in regards of your bin charges. If you get a small bin from Ray Whelan, its collected every week for €23 (i think) a month and you get a large recycling bin for free. The recycling is collected every 2nd week. IMO, its alot handier and tidier than collecting all your recycling until you've enough for a full load and then heading off to the recycling center yourself.

If €23 a month is too expensive, they may allow you to buy tags for your bin so you just have to pay per lift. Not sure about that one though. You'll have to ask in the office.

Thanks for that Shay. I think my sister has that, 23 a month isnt too bad for weekly collection, even 14 as mentioned below. Do you know, how do they divide that stuff? I cant imagine anyone going trough all my rubbish to separate used tuna tins from half of the Daily Mirror. For example, for pringles tubes, I used to cut the tin bottom part of them an recycle that as aluminium, and the man part as cardboard, and the lid as plastic. Can the outsource that sort of stuff?
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    think they charge €14 for a once a month collection,but you must pay at least once a month. this would suit the larger bins better as you can dump more for your money.

do you mean the bottle bank in the town centre car park or the recycling place in Kernanstown? the carpark one was great and very handy but people are too fond of using it as a dumping ground for all their rubbish so would not be surprised if this was closing!

as for Kernanstown recycling centre it may not be busy enough to pay for itself?

No foggy_lad, not talking about either of them. The Kernanstown recycling centre is out at the powerstown landfill site, which is a good 15/20 minute drive out from the centre of the town. This recycling centre is out the road, past the presentation college, and past the new location for supervalue. I could be completely wrong on the names?

Its a council initiative isnt it, funded by tax money. They just recently bought, or leased machinery, and the lease on that land cant be that expensive. And the staff are just going to end up on the dole now (thats no offense to them, there just being put out of work). I cant see it would be running on a massive loss.

That bottle recycling place was a disaster. I remember loads of times I drove past that, people standing around suspiciously watching the road. Thats completly removed now. I think they should have just added a CC TV camera as they have done in Dublin. A guy in work left a cardboard box behind him in Dublin, after recycling his bottles and got a fine delivered to his door a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

oxygen wrote: »
    No foggy_lad, not talking about either of them. The Kernanstown recycling centre is out at the powerstown landfill site, which is a good 15/20 minute drive out from the centre of the town.
    This recycling centre is out the road, past the presentation college, and past the new location for supervalue. I could be completely wrong on the names?
    You're all mixed up there alright, the recyling centre out the past Supervalue is Kernanstown, the one at the dump is Powerstown. They don't make is easy for you to go to Powerstown either it's only open Wed-Fri and half-day Sat.

From what I've seen there yesterday they're not actually closing Kernanstown but they are severely reducing the selection of materials they will accept. No oils, flat glass, cardboard, tetrapak, polystyrene or plastic bottles. They'll still take glass bottles, paper, drinks cans and clothes. I don't know if this warrants keeping the site manned or maybe just rely on CCTV.

It's a pity they couldn't wait a month since Jan is when people have the most cardboard, polystyrene and plastic bottles to get shot of.

Sorry oxygen, I've no idea how its separated. Perhaps if you called into Ray Whelans office or just phone them, they could fill you in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ShayK1 wrote: »

Weren't bin companies supposed to, by law, to charge by weight or per lift since 2007?

Don't know that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

testicle wrote: »
    Weren't bin companies supposed to, by law, to charge by weight or per lift since 2007?
    they do offer a service where they charge €14 for each lift for the 240litre bin and this is estimated to hold a certain weight so i am sure this covers the pay by weight laws.

From what I've seen there yesterday they're not actually closing Kernanstown but they are severely reducing the selection of materials they will accept. No oils, flat glass, cardboard, tetrapak, polystyrene or plastic bottles. They'll still take glass bottles, paper, drinks cans and clothes. I don't know if this warrants keeping the site manned or maybe just rely on CCTV.
    sounds like they are just going to leave the standard bottle and clothes banks there and do away with the manned part of the operation.

Advertisement