Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd Street Attempt / First Speedlight attempt

• 19-12-2009 2:40pm

all advice, guidance, comments etc welcome:
    Big thanks for Chorcai for the lend of the flash

1. 7759393447864327BFCA182D7EC59B33.jpg

2. E34D999D388F4496960B6D075DC3AF56.jpg

3. C7566E7FC51C44D69F628C2518F3A11F.jpg

4. 4313C75B13D24A77912F87957AE8CB0B.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

everyone in those photos look full of christmas cheer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They're not doing anything for me I'm afraid, I don't think the b&w conversion does anything for them either.

No.2 is the best but it's not focused on her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

We were having issues with the flash last night, IIRC the flash forces the camera to 1/200/sec.. that is the sync speed yea ?

Yeah, it kept dropping the shutter speed to 1/200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

1/200 is probably the maximum shutter speed your camera can sync at, I can't imagine why you'd need to shoot at a faster shutter speed for street photography, particularly with flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I'm not a big fan of street pictures where people are looking at the camera. Much prefer the very candid shots of people going about their business, enjoying life etc...
    Good effort though and fair play to you for heading out in the crowd with your camera :)

DK32 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of street pictures where people are looking at the camera. Much prefer the very candid shots of people going out their business, enjoying life etc...
    Good effort though and fair play to you for heading out in the crowd with your camera :)

Prefer something like this?

9F48BFCB40F64A62B14C319C28F0B832.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if its really dark dont be afraid to lower the shutter speed - allowing more light in, I've handheld 1/15th sec and gotten excellent pics.(with flash)

That worked out well.

Now that's what I interpret as a street photo. There is a lot going on in it and nobody is conscious of the camera being there.
    Congrats!

• Advertisement

DK32 wrote: »
    Now that's what I interpret as a street photo. There is a lot going on in it and nobody is conscious of the camera being there.
    Congrats!

Ha, posed photo. Got the girls to model for us.
    The others weren't posed photos.

Well posed obviously is working well for you (IMO) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Well, posed or not it's a good shot! Nicely done. Hope you got the middle girls number too ;)

Ha, posed photo. Got the girls to model for us.
    The others weren't posed photos.

Looking forward to seeing the other stuff we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

all the b&w stuff looks very soft. not enough detail. my guess is that they were all a bit underexposed and you managed to pull some data back in post processing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't see why someone would want to use a flash on the street..For one thing it would be highly annoying for the people on the street,It easily draws attention to you and surely a 35mm or 50mm f/1.8 and using street light would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm not sure the conversions do the biz on these.

In #1, I'd pop the mid tones a little, add a tinchy bit of black, and bring out the highlight a little. Having done that I'd still be a little dubious as to the scene.

In #2, this is the kind of shadow that I personally don't like which is a pity coz she's a purty lady. Mind you wrapped up so well that it would have been hard to get a clear street portrait. Again doesn't do very much for me.

I'm liking #3, I'd still pop the highlights up a little (just a little), the eliminate the greyness from the skin tones. The lights and general brightness of the scene has left for some nice contrast in this image.

In #4 (and #2 now that i think about it), the feet are missing. This can be distracting in any portrait, you can get away chopping off legs and arms but you need to avoid crops which are directly at joints. It's not bad in my opinion but in such busy circumstances you have done well to get it at all.

I was on grafton street on Saturday afternoon, with camera and I didn't take it out of the case. You couldn't move so I decided to enjoy the hustle and bustle ambiance.

There is a particular style which comes though in #3 which I think is making a great street shot - there is engagement at a level where the subject looks like they at least see/acknowledge your presence. Having said that I would imagine that this can be hard to get right and with any deal of consistency. In fact you may have to stage something to get that 'look' - a pre-flash, a call, etc...

Just my opinion but a bit of a mixed bag in this bunch for me.

Advertisement