Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen & 'the bishops'

Options
  • 19-12-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

This pees me off just a little.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1219/1224260976590.html
    TAOISEACH BRIAN Cowen has welcomed the resignation of Bishop Donal Murray, describing it as a sign that the Catholic Church in Ireland is living up to its responsibilities.

You will remember that previously Cowen had refused to comment on whether Bishops named in the report should resign or not.

Now that the process has started, he sees it safe to step into the fray.

What a coward!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

It is the perfect time to remove Cowen, the FF cronies and all the other shysters that have f*cked this country and especially the church. They never should have been allowed to get into such a position but this is Ireland.

We need someone to stand up and point out that their basis for existing is a delusion to begin with, and then seize all their assets. They can work for free or handouts as I am sure their LORD would have wanted them too.

They own over 650,000 buildings and institutions and have billions of Euro worth of art and treasure hidden in their vaults with nominal valuations of €1 on most of them.

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153_10.asp

http://www.zenit.org/article-25379?l=english

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/Ca...canpalace.html

http://www.voanews.com/specialenglis...ate=2005-08-02

“But this is just a small portion of the wealth of the Vatican, which in the U.S. alone, is greater than that of the five wealthiest giant corporations of the country,” Baron Manhattan explains. “The Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence.” [Vatican Billions]

Don't forget to throw in more than 18,000 works of art. [Fortune Dec 21/87]

The Vatican's gold treasure alone has been estimated by the United Nations World Magazine to amount to several billion dollars. The Independent has independently confirmed that “the Vatican Bank - Istituto per le Opere di Religione - manages more than $4 billion in assets. It does not reveal its profits or dividends, which are paid directly to the Pope. It enjoys the status of a central bank and has a dealing room adorned with crucifixes and papal portraits where 20 traders work .” [Independent Apr 19/02]

According to Hank's Jesuit Vatican informant, the world's ultimate Vatican bankers “wanted to make sure there was enough confusion, and enough information going all over the place that no one would pay attention to” their current cover-up in the catacombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why wouldn't the church be wealthy, it's a marketing man's dream.
    It sells a product that you can't see, touch or feel to hundreds of millions of people every day, who can't find out if it's fit for purpose until it's too late to change their mind.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

There is a greater case for Cowen to resign(economic disaster) than any bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Another moan about Cowen thread? I'm truly shocked and in awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

nesf wrote: »

You'd be even more shocked & awed if there was a thread praising him.

• Advertisement

You'd be even more shocked & awed if there was a thread praising him.

I'm tempted to start one. Just to see the tirade of abuse directed at me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm not exactly a big Cowen hater, typically. I've no history of that here.

But it jarred with me that he wouldn't comment on whether these bishops should resign after the report came out. It jarred with me even more when he rowed in only once Murray did the right thing.

Just a total absence of leadership and courage on his part in this issue.

LookingFor wrote: »

But it jarred with me that he wouldn't comment on whether these bishops should resign after the report came out. It jarred with me even more when he rowed in only once Murray did the right thing.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the Taioseach of the country should be calling for the resignations of Bishops given they are appointed by a foreign power essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Honestly, I'm not sure if the Taioseach of the country should be calling for the resignations of Bishops given they are appointed by a foreign power essentially.

In the instance where they have been participating in the cover up of epidemic child abuse and use of the institutions own laws to protect the perpetrators, there is no doubt in my mind that a Taioseach should.

In civilized countries, people get sent to jail for this kind of thing.
    In semi-civilized, they take you out and shoot you.
    In Ireland, they shrug their shoulders

Do you remember when the German envoy was reprimanded for his coarse Irish speech?
    In his 15-minute speech the ambassador said:
    • Ireland was a "coarse place".
    • Junior ministers here earned more than the German Chancellor.
    • Some 20pc of the population were public servants.
    • Our "chaotic" hospital waiting lists would not be tolerated anywhere else.
    • Wage demands were too high.
    He also cited the doctors' rejection of €200,000 a year posts on the basis that this sum was "Mickey Mouse" money and referred to the former dominant position of the Catholic Church within the country.
    His listeners, mainly members of the German Federation of Buying and Marketing groups, representing medium-sized businesses, loved his delivery.
    One Irish man in the audience was Gay Mitchell MEP who said that if he had made the comments in the Dail he would have been accused of party political partisanship of a totally imbalanced nature.

So we can "verbally rap on the knuckles" a Germany envoy who was essentially telling the truth.
    But we can't get it together to oust, not to mind prosecute (foreign appointed) people who have been involved in wide scale child abuse spanning decades?

Welcome to Ireland.:(

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    In the instance where they have been participating in the cover up of epidemic child abuse and use of the institutions own laws to protect the perpetrators, there is no doubt in my mind that a Taioseach should.

In civilized countries, people get sent to jail for this kind of thing.
    In semi-civilized, they take you out and shoot you.
    In Ireland, they shrug their shoulders

Do you remember when the German envoy was reprimanded for his coarse Irish speech?

So we can "verbally rap on the knuckles" a Germany envoy who was essentially telling the truth.
    But we can't get it together to oust, not to mind prosecute (foreign appointed) people who have been involved in wide scale child abuse spanning decades?

Welcome to Ireland.:(

Point taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

In essence, he shouldn't have to. If these people were in possession of even a shred of the "Christian charity" they choose to shove down other peoples' throats, they would have gone long ago.
    Cowen's actions, or lack of, show little has changed in the Establishment of the country since the 1960's, when King John Charles reigned supreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

journalist michael regan put it well on rte the other day , mr cowen never came across a fence that he didnt sit up on yet

• Registered Users Posts: 35,048 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Teclo wrote: »
    There is a greater case for Cowen to resign(economic disaster) than any bishop.

If you think the economy is more important than protecting children from sexual abuse, I suggest your priorities need re-assessing.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

bmaxi wrote: »
    In essence, he shouldn't have to. If these people were in possession of even a shred of the "Christian charity" they choose to shove down other peoples' throats, they would have gone long ago.
    Cowen's actions, or lack of, show little has changed in the Establishment of the country since the 1960's, when King John Charles reigned supreme.

Thats it, cowen is useless, is he catholic (not plastic)?

How are we letting these people get away with this. Why has no bishop been arrested.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The man is ambitious! One day he hopes to be leader of this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

rohatch wrote: »
    Thats it, cowen is useless, is he catholic (not plastic)?

How are we letting these people get away with this. Why has no bishop been arrested.

Probably the same reason none of the bankers who were in breach of criminal provisions of company legislation are being prosecuted by the DPP.

A different kettle of fish, for sure, but these things do make me wonder about the integrity and fairness of the powers that be here.

Probably the same reason none of the bankers who were in breach of criminal provisions of company legislation are being prosecuted by the DPP.

A different kettle of fish, for sure, but these things do make me wonder about the integrity and fairness of the powers that be here.

thats true.

They seem to have put the cnuts that screwed everything up back in charge of fixing their own mess.

Fianna FAIL fcuked up the country since devalera (he should have been executed), and the bankers and legal establishments were ripping us off for years to line their own pockets, the church were fcuking our children and robbing us blind too while ignoring their own pious BS.

I feel sorry for my parents generation (over 60's) they were lied to by all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Journalist Michael Regan put it well on RTE the other day , Mr Cowen never came across a fence that he didnt sit on yet

Odd however that when the new Central Bank Man,Mr Honohan,came out VERY clearly to seek an Inquiry into Banking Practices,Mr Cowen was VERY uncharacteristically fast out-of-the-traps in his Firm rejection of the request.

It was the ONLY occassion I can recall the Taoiseach making his views crystal clear with such alacrity....I do wonder why..???? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement