Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheaply hanging photos in apartment

• 19-12-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently moved house, and the walls are a bit bare. I was thinking of printing off a few of my better photos (@8x10) and putting them on the walls. So i'm looking for cheap suggestions on how to mount/frame them (is "mount" the correct term?). I'm guessing some kind of stiff cardboard frame is what I'm looking for?. Also I dont want to start hammering nails into the walls as the apartment is rented - is there any alternatives?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

In terms of hanging, there is the new yokes called 'command strips' that have hooks on them. There is an adhesive that can be removed when you are taking them down leaving the wall undamaged. Apparently. Can get them in Tesco, Woodies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

daycent wrote: »
    In terms of hanging, there is the new yokes called 'command strips' that have hooks on them. There is an adhesive that can be removed when you are taking them down leaving the wall undamaged. Apparently. Can get them in Tesco, Woodies etc.

6.99 for 24 at Tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

This sounds perfect! now just need to figure out some form of cheapy frame /mounting board etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

trican wrote: »
    This sounds perfect! now just need to figure out some form of cheapy frame /mounting board etc

Try the 2euro shops,
    Great value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

How many are you looking for and what size? I have a few here that I picked up in my suupliers a while back. 10 of the same 8 x10, nothing special just cheap frames, only cost about 80c each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you're really on a budget you could just surface mount them and hang them, not very permanent but would take the bare look off the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

I'd like to hang about 5-10 Pictures, probably 10x8.

Thanks for the link nilhg - the diy approach looks interesting, and it's something I wouldn't mind giving a go, as a skill to pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

daycent wrote: »

These are great, just removed them today from a place I'm leaving. Depending on budget ikea do some really nice frames (with mounts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

How many are you looking for and what size? I have a few here that I picked up in my suupliers a while back. 10 of the same 8 x10, nothing special just cheap frames, only cost about 80c each.

80c for a frame?!? :eek: You sure you don't mean mounts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

you know chairty shops are amazing for picking up really cheap frames of all sizes! i've seen so many, in great condition, had a bit of a giggle at what was inside them too sometimes lol.

it's worth a root around, last time i was in wawa in dundrum they had tons of them, lots of nice ones, in good condition. there's about 6 chairty shops running from camden st down to georges st in dublin city and i'm sure you'll find some there.

i have a couple of prints mounted on spongeboard in the apartment (kind of like surface mounting like nilhg suggested) and i love how they look. granted they're not protected behind glass, but i'm not worried about that. it's not difficult to do yourself and all the materials can be picked up pretty easily :)

and then there's the option to get a little creative and hang the prints directly up with twine/ribbon & pegs: like this or this or this. i love this idea & will be hanging up a couple of my own like this soon :)

i also really like these ideas: 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Blue tack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

sineadw wrote: »
    80c for a frame?!? :eek: You sure you don't mean mounts??

80c for a cheap frame. Yeah I pick them up often enough, I have access to a wholesalers that sells a variety of goods from a previous business venture. They have a lot of very cheap frames but some decent ones too, just cant rely on them for continually stocking the smae frames. I'd often print out a nice picture for a friend or family that I may have taken and stick it in a frame, knowing they will change the frame but just for presentation.

Anyway trican there yours if you want them, a kind of motled grey, I havent used these at all. Remember though I said cheao, obviously for 80c. They're just taking up space here.

Advertisement