Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 'value' ssd for gaming?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

The main storage device is going to make bugger all difference to game performance. A good cavier black is enough to load most games really fast. If you have your heart set on an SSD then try not to cheap out too much, it's new tech and as such you have to treat anything cheap with a pinch of salt. I've heard things from every corner of the market of SSD failures so try not to get your hopes up too much, and remember to back up important data regularly.

The new medium end OCZ drives are supposedly quite good value from what I've heard. I think they are the agility and vertex/ vertex turbo drives. They go from 160 to 400 depending on the size and speed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Odds are the only thing that'll be going on the SSD is the OS installation - unless you're blowing €500+ you're not going to get anything that could even begin to replace a current 7200rpm SATA2 HDD :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Solitaire wrote: »
    Odds are the only thing that'll be going on the SSD is the OS installation - unless you're blowing €500+ you're not going to get anything that could even begin to replace a current 7200rpm SATA2 HDD :o
    A 128GB+ ssd will hold the os and quite a few games. Still won't make that much of a difference to load times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I play computer games I don't LOAD computer games.
    You lads are a funny lot.
    Thanks for the recommendations. (StopNotWorking)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

digme wrote: »
    You lads are a funny lot.
    Thanks for the recommendations. (StopNotWorking)

Yes you do load games. When you open the game up it takes time to load, between chapters/missions/areas the game loads. SSDs make an improvement to load times but it's not that noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

digme wrote: »

Ever "played" The Witcher?

The non-patched version? evilgrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Solitaire wrote: »
    Ever "played" The Witcher?

The non-patched version? evilgrin.gif

Or Dragon Age Origins in Full Screen?

I swear I spend more time waiting to play than actually playing. Same for Mario Kart Wii :P :pac:

Advertisement