Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite building in Galway City, architecturally speaking?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I have been working on Nun's Island for the last few months and during that time I have been watching the progress of a new building that they are putting up right on the corner, opposite the NUIG engineering block. I was thinking that this is a great location and hopefully the owners would justify this by putting up a nice, architectural piece of work...Didn't I have great expectations! The building is nearly finished and it's awful, imo. It's bland, unappealing to the eye and the kind of crap that has ruined much of Ireland. Think Barna, Moycullen, Galway City etc. I do like architecture and it annoys me to think that the developers knocked an old Galway City house just to put this waste up. Pity but no surprise. Anyway, I just thought I'd try to find out what buildings people really like in Galway City. There are a few that I like but these are my favourites (I think):

Apartment Block: The one across from the Cathedral with the sandstone facade (Earl's Island). Beautiful!

House: The one on Lough Atalia Road with the 3 storey rear extension with loads of floor to ceiling glass.

Industry/Commercial: The UCHG nurse's building (Art Deco I think). It really needs to be refurbished but I think it's cool.

This is about Galway City and the people's attitudes who live in Galway City to their built environment so please don't move it to another category mods if possible. Apologies if this thread, or similar, has already been done.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway architecturally speaking is a shambles.
    Far too many eyesores to list

My favourite buidling has to be the old converted church on the corner of Abbeygate St & Middle St., other than that the big facade at GMIT has something.

When public representatives speak up about planning and structures,they are derided ie. the Connolly councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

St Nicholas's. Lynch's Castle. Neachtain's. All those old bits of masonry that jump out at you in unexpected places and remind you of the city's rich medieval heritage. The quad at NUIG.

Houses - Those doctors' houses along the Crescent, and some of the houses along Lower Salthill such as the one that houses a gallery (I think it's called Norman Villa). The Galway Arts Centre, with its graceful high ceilings and light, spacious rooms. I know there must be some examples of state-of-the-art modern houses - low-energy, eco-friendly, functional and forward-looking - but none springs immediately to mind.

Commercial - The Bank of Ireland building at the top of Eyre Square (is it called Hibernian House?)

For a good modern one, the museum. Let's hope the new cinema will be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

Too many to mention but classically speaking Castlegar House would definately be up there..

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/images/large/castlegar.jpg

"Mansion designed by Sir Richard Morrison c1801 and having two main facades,- Five- bay two storey with central bow South front; Seven -bay three storey with basement North front. The facades are nap rendered with cut stone dressings. The interior has exceptional quality joinery,decorative plasterwork and chimneypieces.Large 1890's porch and side extensions. Stable block at side. Site of entrance gateway moved c1990. All set within a large demesne."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The cathedral could easily make any '10 worst cathedrals' list, if there was one.

The Marine Research building in NUI.. Think that's what it is anyway. Opposite the Quad.
    Class looking building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

When you are on the prom walking back towards the city and are outside leisureland the building on the left. Dont know the name but its got a cafe in it at the mo and its yellow. Always thought it was deco but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The Burrenmount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

The cathedral could easily make any '10 worst cathedrals' list, if there was one.

Personally, I really like the Cathedral and I think it's one of the better examples of cathedrals in Ireland. I love the way the Salmon Weir bridge is perfectly in line with the main entrance.

I agree about the apartments above CoCo cafe in Salthill. They are cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

id disagree, id consider it one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Best; the apartments across from the Cathedral - the sandstone ones beside Fisheries Field.

Worst; The Bailey in Salthill. Really encapsulates all that was bad about the Celtic Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Menlo Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OP: When you say working in Nun's Island - do you mean on the reconstruction work going on at the Poor Clares?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

scrubber72 wrote: »
    When you are on the prom walking back towards the city and are outside leisureland the building on the left. Dont know the name but its got a cafe in it at the mo and its yellow. Always thought it was deco but not sure.

It's called Western House

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The old buildings around Merchants' Rd/Spanish Parade (Kumars Indian).
    Neachtains
    Lynch's Castle
    Menlo Castle
    The inside of Oranmore castle is still pretty authentic and very funky.

The Townhouse (the old stone in there) that once was Bazaar, Punchbag, a Garage, etc!

The Old Smokehouse (Nimmo's / Ard bia)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

The rahoon flats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's called Western House

+1

JohnCleary wrote: »
    OP: When you say working in Nun's Island - do you mean on the reconstruction work going on at the Poor Clares?

No, in the Hygeia office block (and no, not the old disused chemical plant :)). Not a very nice building (the one I'm working in) now that I mention it. I was told it's condemned. Reminds me of cheap, communist architecture from the 60s.

The Quad is a cool building too, even if it does look like it was designed for India with its minaret-like clock tower. I have been working underground in it recently, in a converted wine-cellar. The bottle stores are all still there. Someone told me that there was victims of the potato famine buried there on the grounds but I don't know if that's true or not. Probably not but the place is creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Galway Catheral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

The Quad is a cool building too,
    The Marine Research building in NUI..

+2 for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fenster wrote: »
    Menlo Castle.
    Could do with a lick of paint.

• Advertisement

+2 for these.

Both of these buildings (Quad and Martin Ryan Institute - Marine Building) work very well together imo. Their front entrances are directly facing each other if you stand in front of either. Nice mix of old and modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The quad is a really nice building and well there are a good few buildings in the university which are nice.

oh beaten to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Might get in trouble with some for calling it The 'potato' Famine in these parts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

St Nicholas's, Lynch's Castle, and Cathedral

St. Nicholas's also.
    Mayoralty house
    The former Bank of Ireland on Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What are you on about?
    It's got a great oul 'intimidate the children' feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting but ugly, imo.

gmit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fenster wrote: »
    Menlo Castle.

Yeah, it would be nothing if it had a roof on it.:D

inisboffin wrote: »
    Might get in trouble with some for calling it The 'potato' Famine in these parts;)

Why :confused:

What do you think of the design that won the competition for the proposed docks development?

galway-ideas-winner1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Fully agreed. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had stuck to a straightforward, simple Romanesque style (although the prison-like office block whacked on behind the altar area would always have been an eyesore). Instead the architects decided to come up with their own version of the arched and rose windows with a tacky pointed hexagonal effect and strange arches flattened out at the ends. It's like something from a sci-fi movie - a palace for Ming the Merciless I've often thought. The choice of wooly, squared-off rusticated stonework was also unfortunate, diminishing the gravitas that such a building should have. Externally it's a building that can't seem to decide whether it wants to look modern or old and the overall effect is just a mess.

Internally I find the overwhelmingly greenish yellow colouring, the lack of natural light, the overly busy stonework and the amateurish mock-byzantine mosaics all add up to a space that feels extremely unpleasant and lacking in any feeling of spirituality or the sense of uplift that a cathedral should have. Everything is so heavy handed, all topped up by another flattened off barrel vaulted ceiling that just seems to press down on the nave. I'd have no problem seeing the Cathedral bulldozed tomorrow.

I wish there was a building in Galway that I could rave about to counterbalance the above negative rant, but really there isn't much really great architecture to talk about. For me it's the overall structure of the city centre that I like, the winding streets, the way that you are always coming upon waterways in unexpected places, the intimate character that hasn't been eroded too badly by so much insensitive development. Galway could definitely do with the addition of a few really good public buildings. I have high hopes for the new Picture Palace Cinema having seen the wonderful job its architects have done on the Druid Theatre building. However the competition winning entry above for the docks does absolutely nothing for me.

Advertisement