Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: PM when quoted

Options
  • 19-12-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a feature suggestion. I think it would be useful to have a system whereby a poster could be notified whenever a message they left on a thread is quoted.

This way, you wouldn't have to keep tracking threads to see if someone responded to your post.

What do you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

argh argh argh I'd go mad.

How about just searching for your username? That'll show not only when you're quoted, but when people refer to you AND when they're talking about you, which is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sucks when your username is only 3 characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Silverfish wrote: »
    argh argh argh I'd go mad.

Just switch it off? It could be an option in Control Panel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just do a quick name search by post of yourself.. you wil quickly see anyone who quoted you.

6th wrote: »
    Sucks when your username is only 3 characters.

LOL! Free rein on 6th!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id copy and paste just to mess with the system.

Tbh, I couldnt see it working, as ^ that is what is done, a lot of the time. If Im interested in a thread, I tend to follow it regardless. Im automatically subbed to any I post on, so the quoting pm thing would be an extra layer of information I dont need.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is a fantastic feature on another forum I use, my favourite thing on the site.

oooh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*twitch*
    nesf, you have 1,503 unread PMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

nesf wrote: »
    *twitch*
    nesf, you have 1,503 unread PMs

No, you turn it off or just don't turn it on. Even better, have a seperate counter like in Tar.Aldarion screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

liamw wrote: »
    No, you turn it off or just don't turn it on. Even better, have a seperate counter like in Tar.Aldarion screenshot

I'm only having some fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Or just set it to inform you that a poster(s) you don't like has quoted you.

Kinda like an argument bat-signal....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Isn't it a bit like getting a land line answering machine? Just to discover that no-one rings you when you're not home either.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stovelid wrote: »
    Or just set it to inform you that a poster(s) you don't like has quoted you.

Kinda like an argument bat-signal....

or could we set it so that when they quote you the keyboard gives them an electric shock? that'd teach the feckers.

Advertisement