Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man stabbed in tip connected to feud here... (Mod Warning Post #1)

• 19-12-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Heard on radio it was connected to traveller feud in the city , we are not hearing alot from wlr lately on this, but iv heard its all kicked off again , serious incident happened out in chip shop in lismore last week and then another in johns pk , now we have the first casualty ,

Will this now start to get out of control???
    Says below 2 from waterford detained over it.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/105-01.html

---
    Mod Note:
    If you feel the need to go insulting the travelling community in Waterford, certain areas of Waterford, or certain people in Waterford (add your own minorities to this list), whether it be using derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like - expect a ban.

If the comments are specific to the person who committed the act, then fair enough but lets try tone down the expression of anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

vermin filth bags is all they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note:
    I was wondering how long it would take.

Ye it was coming all right , i think this may become out of hand now if their is more retaliation to come here , im hearing some of the guys involved on both sides are not to be messed with and i suppose this tragic incident proves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

jo06555 wrote: »
    Ye it was coming all right , i think this may become out of hand now if their is more retaliation to come here , im hearing some of the guys involved on both sides are not to be messed with and i suppose this tragic incident proves it.

messed with?anyone can pick up a knife or a gun and stab or shoot someone.doesnt matter how big or wide they are.cowards hunt in packs.

regarding the waterford part it could be in any part of waterford, carrick etc, doesnt necessary mean it has anything to do with the feud going on here.

anplaya wrote: »
    regarding the waterford part it could be in any part of waterford, carrick etc, doesnt necessary mean it has anything to do with the feud going on here.

IV heard from reliable source it is and that a number of their cars have bein taken away too in one part of the city ,so thats what im baseing my points on. I could say more but id prefer not to on here as after all its not confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

jo06555 wrote: »
    IV heard from reliable source it is and that a number of their cars have bein taken away too in one part of the city ,so thats what im baseing my points on. I could say more but id prefer not to on here as after all its not confirmed.

exactly,its just talk at this stage.reliable sources ?like what, neighbours etc?gossip everywhere sure.wouldnt believe it till it comes from the horses mouth.as ya said nothings confirmed.

anplaya wrote: »
    exactly,its just talk at this stage.reliable sources ?like what, neighbours etc?gossip everywhere sure.wouldnt believe it till it comes from the horses mouth.as ya said nothings confirmed.

Well all i can say is im not a nosey neighbour :D i have friends who would be close to travellers "who mostly are decent" and they find out things quickly , rte news have said gardai are saying its related to ongoing waterford feud just now, iv bein told a certain family and the people arrested so im not just goin on gossip off the street by a neighbour if you think i am . plus wlr rte ect will not and for recent months waterford media especially have taken steps back from covering anything that has happened in feud , i do not know why but its serious enough to be of interest to some people here who may be worried , maybe gardai have told them to not give them so much coverage incase in fuels it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

the tipp incident IS related to what happened in Brennans last week. A Stokes was stabbed in Brennans and a Stokes was stabbed in Tipp (not mentioning names, RTE did that ;) )

steven22 wrote: »
    the tipp incident IS related to what happened in Brennans last week. A Stokes was stabbed in Brennans and a Stokes was stabbed in Tipp (not mentioning names, RTE did that ;) )

yes , we shall find out more in days to come if someone is charged i suppose . but i do not think this will be the last of it after first death im afraid it may just get worse now. gardai will be very busy over xmas watching over things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Who the hell thought it would be over by printing a picture of them shaking hands on a paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

It's rotten carry on alright. People that carry on like that should all be shipped off to a big Island and let them kick the **** out of each other and do the world a favour I say. Scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

It's horrible...I'm from Tipp Town, and I heard the man who died was described as a gentleman who stayed out of all that feuding etc, all his life, and that the alleged attackers may have actually gotten the wrong guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Very sad end to the year,

We all know the backlash the horse incident caused so i'd this will really blow it up.

Sully, just to clarify are we not allowed call anyone scumbags are just anyone involved with this feud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What ever we think , Someone has buried a son , brother ,father etc , A little bit of human dignity at this moment would not be to bad .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    Sully, just to clarify are we not allowed call anyone scumbags are just anyone involved with this feud?

Its more the focus on travelers. We have a few on the board who tend to be very unhappy if we let comments like that slide so its a strict policy against the behavior. Since this is a traveler feud, I know peoples comments are directed more so at them then those who committed the act. The last thing I want is a repeat of people coming on here defending them and havoc being created again. But, I see your point, so we will probably have to look at a more balanced way.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    What ever we think , Someone has buried a son , brother ,father etc , A little bit of human dignity at this moment would not be to bad .

YE , according to gardai in tip mr stokes was a gentleman and never in trouble , which makes this attack so much worse as he was innocent i cant bare to think what would or will happen to people directly involved in attacks or feud,

R.I.P to "as you said someones" son , brother ,father etc at such a bad time now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is ridiculous behaviour. They need to really let bygones be bygones, too many people are getting hurt. The new death will only increase the anger and hatred between the families. This isn't going to end anytime soon. Expect it all to escalate off again.

Does anyone know if this is the first death? I know there have been serious injuries and stabbings, but not sure if anyone died prior to this.

dlofnep wrote: »
    This is ridiculous behaviour. They need to really let bygones be bygones, too many people are getting hurt. The new death will only increase the anger and hatred between the families. This isn't going to end anytime soon. Expect it all to escalate off again.

Does anyone know if this is the first death? I know there have been serious injuries and stabbings, but not sure if anyone died prior to this.

IM nearly sure this is the first death , many other serious incidents have happenned including slashings and hatchet attacks ect , im sure some serious injurys have bein inflicted but i think this is first death which is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Terrible that his poor son had to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm on the mobile site sully and I can't seem to quote ya but that's grand it would be good to have a black and white rule cause I know myself that I could call someone who committed a crime scum on here without any thought of their heritage, just because it was a scumbag act

Anyway, this is all the worse as it appears that the man who died was said to be an honest man. Gonna be a ****ty christmass to be a guard imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

ok, this Is from the horses mouth, the son of the man attacked last week in the chipper was arrested for the murder of willie stokes, he was released today as he proved he was elsewhere, the wife and 2 daughter in laws of the man attacked are still being held for with holding information.

whittler wrote: »
    ok, this Is from the horses mouth, the son of the man attacked last week in the chipper was arrested for the murder of willie stokes, he was released today as he proved he was elsewhere, the wife and 2 daughter in laws of the man attacked are still being held for with holding information.

IS their still 4 bein held this evening? i did hear the same in relation to man attacked last week , i taught most of them arrested were in waterford were they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its more the focus on travelers. We have a few on the board who tend to be very unhappy if we let comments like that slide so its a strict policy against the behavior. Since this is a traveler feud, I know peoples comments are directed more so at them then those who committed the act. The last thing I want is a repeat of people coming on here defending them and havoc being created again. But, I see your point, so we will probably have to look at a more balanced way.

I have edited the very first post to clarify this. Should make it clearer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

All I can say is that I hope that this situation will be resolved again, at least for a while, without any more tragedies. Terrible situation for the families especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

In the last couple of years there have been feuds in Waterford, Kerry and Castlebar and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

You are quite right in saying that the more extreme views need to be reined in but something fundamental needs to change in the traveller culture and outlook. Anyone reasonable realises that 90% of travellers are not involved but the ones that are have a totally disproportionate affect on society.

The fact also that in cases like the car ramming last year the prosecutions fall apart leads to a lack of confidence from the settled community that cases involving travellers will come to a just solution.

A discussion on the broader topics involving travellers desperately needs to happen in this country but any time it does, views get polarised and then the pavee point and equality crew get involved on the other side.

Anyway I'm sorry to hear about Mr Stokes, from the news reports he was an innocent party who happened to belong to a family involved in this feud.

Really is terrible mr stokes a innocent man murdered for what reports say having links with rival family , iv not heard who or what family he was married into? but maybe its one of other major names we have bein hearing , i knew after the attack in lismore chip shop last week that it would not take long for a retaliation , i just wonder how far it will go now , anyway heres monday mornings headlines on it. and once again most of all r.i.p mr stokes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1221/1224261043648.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its terrible alright, but this is what happens when either the poilce or the justice system fails the community as a whole, innocent people end up getting hurt, or in this case killed. I can't possibly imagine what his has done to the son who witnessed it. Regardless of who they are or what's going on, I really think the focus should be on the son. The terrible thing about all this is that its just going to drag other people into a feud looking for revenge and I find it very doubtful that it will ever be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

what horse told ya that a pieball or teaser?

nearly had it "was son of man who attacked da man in chippe with the axe of warcraft, who got lifted for the tipp thing"

wouldnt it make a great online game all tis carry on with those tossers?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

yes they wereall from waterford, 2 of them were those that were rammin in the car last year

Any idea on what people willie stokes were involved with who were in feud im thinking maybe he was married into other feuding familiy or something ? Could be wrong , strange like rte reported a stokes gets attacked in lismore and if connected another stokes is murdered in what seems retaliation on a innocent person , :confused: maybe its to get at someone , im sure it will now become tit for tat with eachother :( hopefully not.