Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boiler/radiator question

Options
  • 19-12-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hello.
    i have been told that for optimum boiler performance my boiler thermostat should be set to half way. we used to only have it on the lowest setting but the engineer said that the radiators would always be searching for heat and the boiler would fire up more often.
    this seems all well and good but i cant work out why, if i am heating the water hotter then surely i am burning more fuel.
    can somebody explain this to me in as much detail as possible!! i am not afraid of technical jargon.....

hope someone can help. i am a person that just needs to know why..

thanksicon10.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

the engineer said that the radiators would always be searching for heat and the boiler would fire up more often.

I can't explain it to you but I have to agree with the engineer. afaik a bit like a diesel engine, it is more efficient to keep it running than having it shut off and on regularly. One of our own engineers will be along soon to fully explain. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the boiler stat is the only control, then I believe that if it is turned up, the boiler will run longer and use more oil.
    If you have lots of circuits, thermostats and controls, then it may be economical to heat the water to a higher temperature.
    Jim.

Advertisement